Author Topic: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate  (Read 2878 times)

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »
Welp, here's my review of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, which, after playing it for 2 hours, is not only one of my favourite fighting games of all time, but one of my favourite games of all time.

Game Type: Commercial, free demo available (only 6 characters, no story mode)
Genre: Fighting, jiggle simulator

First up, the ratings: (using 10 number scale because I prefer it ;p)

Graphics - 8 - Doesn't actually run at all on modern computers as it's a console game, but very good graphics for last gen, however some of the textures are a bit low res.

Gameplay - 9 - Will talk about this later

Immersion - N/A - I'm actually playing the free version, which doesn't have a story mode. I'll update once I have some cash

Now for why you should get this game:

God dammit it's satisfying. Most games slow down gameplay and make it a bit clunky to make you feel the hits... DOA5 is fast as hell... yet you still feel every blow - you feel your characters spine smashing into that fence, and you feel the impact of rolling down a flight of stairs and smashing your face on the concrete at the bottom.

Next up, how dynamic it is. As I mentioned before, you can slam characters into fences and break or bend them, or push them down flights of stairs or out windows and off rooftops. Characters also get sweat and dirt on them as the fight goes on and they take more damage. Crates and barrels roll around as you hit them. You can hit someone into an oil tank and make it explode, sending them flying across the stage, or hit them into the wall and launch an airstrike on them.

Variety of characters - 29 of them - 18 of them female, 11 of them male. I've so far only tried Hayate and Ryu Hayabusa, but they were both damn fun. There's also quite a bit of costume modification.

Story - I've only played the free version which doesn't have it, but it has been criticized by reviewers.

Oh, there's also the selling point which the developers apparently thought it needed even though, IMO, it doesn't.... Boobs, butts, and jiggle physics.
Hell it was rated 17+ over in the US just because of it.

Overall score:
9/10
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzaca

• Prime Sinister
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
I think we know the real reason you gave it such a high rating.

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
Is it because of what I said at the bottom? (jiggle physics)

Because there's literally only 2 characters I've seen that actually have them.
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)