Author Topic: Turn based Space excitement!  (Read 17881 times)

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
Turn based Space excitement!
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:40:35 AM »
Hey guys,

Were a two man dev team, and we've just announced our first game which we though you might be interested in. Its called Big Space, inspired by the works of Gollop, 40k and other table top war games and their digital counterpart.

A small clip of game play can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GILnlyqyGFs, were hoping to get an alpha up as soon as possible for those interested to try, but were waiting to complete one of the factions unit lists first.. because its no fun without tanks, right?

Anyway, your support in our en devour would be most appreciated, and we hope we can give you a good game in return  :arwen: .

Elliott

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Turn based Space excitement!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »
Will there be an offline/singleplayer mode?

And what sort of diversity of factions is likely? Will it look quite similar to 40K or do you have some more interesting/unusual alien races in the mix?  :)

EDIT: Also, welcome to Exilian! And also, to let you know, you can embed YT videos with the bbcode youtube tag.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:17:10 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
I'll definitely be up for this. I play the hell out of these type of games.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
Hey guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

We'd love to get single player in there, and hopefully we shall. Not too sure on how complex the AI will be. There's going to be a few different game types, so it'll be clearer once those are in.
Obviously we realise its a semi-crucial feature when the game is small scale, because otherwise finding a match becomes an effort in itself!

Factions wise, its hard not to do something GW have done, they have all bases covered! This initial faction were going to launch the alpha with is the Space Army (not yet named) but i wanted to avoid space marine cliche, so the aesthetic for them is a bit more steam punk, space pulp - glass helmets and lazer pistols. Bipedal Walkers too!

Planned factions so far are a sort of cultist, sadist, fast melee focused faction - maybe bordering on the psychic, with powerful units in sedan chairs replacing tanks. The other is either a cyborg sort of thing, or space pirates with alien mercs. Will probably eventually get to a race of 'magic', and the classic 'Nid horde too. But I want each army to feel distinct, so not tied to too many ideas yet. Be great to get some feedback on what people want after we put an alpha out (which should hopefully be a few weeks!)  ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
I think GW cover all the bases in terms of playstyle fairly well, but their coverage of aesthetic bases is pretty poor IMO. But then I'm someone who generally likes to have more "odd stuff" and fewer standard bipedal hominids in my sci-fi.

I definitely like the sound of a slightly steampunky/cyberpunky space empire faction, that sounds great :D
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
Oh dont you worry! In terms of the aesthetics, its not going to be as 'serious' as GW. I want a much soft, lightly humours and distinctive style. A bit Team Fortress 2! Lots more character in the characters. We were working on a fantasy card game/board game cross (and still are, but this has taken priority) and you can see the sort of style i go for (apologies, its quite large and the fact this was the human faction, so still bidepal ;) )

BrokenIronSights

• Spears of Arda Mod
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
Looks like my kind of game! I'd like to see it take the shape of Warmachine over 40k, as I think those mechanics tend to work a bit better. I'm excited to see how the art pans out and would love to participate in any alpha/beta you have available. :)
I miss my Orks!

Something tells me they don't miss me..

Listening to the hate they've created inside us, we grow.
As we reduce their religion to bones.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
Fantastic art matey. Very fashionable among indies at the moment.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
Cheers for all the feedback so far guys. I just finished up the last of the temporary models for the space pulp empire faction. We've decided to call them the Tomorrowmen, ironically, based on the fact they look like the workers at Disneys Tomorrowland during its early days.

from left to right we have: The assault troop - jetpack, hammer (optional shotgun or short range rocket). The Medic - big needle shaped healing gun and a pistol as standard. Heavy Troop - comes with an rapid fire lazer, but can switch out for a rocket launcher. The Commander - a unique lazer pistol called the 'Piecemaker', and a sword. Standard Infantry, as standard. Ranger - this ones set up as a sniper, but can take a closer range quicker firing weapon if desired, but stats of a glass cannon. Rocketeer - Hullbuster launcher as standard, but can switch out for a shrapnel cannon if you want a troop killing heavy, pistols cost extra. And at the back is the Flamingo..

More videos in a day or so!  8)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 02:53:10 AM »
Eee! I like them a lot. I feel like they should have some kind of motto, perhaps on the lines of "For Tomorrow Another World" (with the dual meaning of "tomorrow we'll visit somewhere else" and "we'll conquer it for Tomorrow"). :)

In fact, since I can't sleep, have a slightly sloppily written vignette of them:

"Medic! We need a medic!"
"Baldwin that.1 Stand by, team four. For Tomorrow."

The jungles of Trazan IV2 were proving especially troublesome for Major Theoderic Tancred and his exploration patrol force. The region had a number of useful features, and could well prove strategically vital in building the Trazan Northern Colony's defences up against invaders. On the other hand, there were some rather concerning developments - troopers who strayed from the group kept disappearing and being found only later, often badly wounded. Something was afoot.

Another line on the communications channel.

"Team three report, sir. Urgent. Corporal Ostron down, hostiles, I repeat, hostiles."
"Who, what is it?"
"Enemies. Not planetary natives; some sort of lightly armed humanoids. Solid projectiles and one attempt at an assault on our position."
"Hold where you are, Three. For Tomorrow."
"Received and understood. For Tomorrow."

The Tomorrowmen had bonded humankind together by striving for for rationality,and for the future. Major Tancred, forty-second Imperial Progress Corps, was a hard-worn example of the sort of person the Empire of the Tomorrowmen sought to have on their payroll. A scientist before joining the corps, his clever and flexible sense of duty had won him a number of battles without a single laser being fired - though he kept a sharp, cool mind even when negotiations did break down and the heat of battle commenced. Or he usually did. This place was unsettling him. He was tired, and he was getting older. But more importantly... he was curious.

He turned to his second in command, calling her over from her control station.

"Saka?"
"Yes, sir?"

"Get some heavy weapons troops. The old Rhinoceros3 model, if we have any, they're old but they'll be more reliable than these newfangled Wolfsbane attack units. And I want squads seven and one ready to move in half an hour, maximum."

Four flamingo-class walkers creaked into the base yard below him, their machinery emitting a gentle hum occasionally penetrated by the slow metal clang of their feet upon hard paving slabs. The Major looked down at his little fortress, his bastion of Progress in a universe that so rarely managed to look toward Tomorrow, and he took a deep breath.

"And you're in charge."

"Sir?" Saka was already halfway through dialling the relevant units, but looked up, her face suddenly concerned.

The Major lowered his visor, grey eyebrows heavy beneath a furrowed brow. His expression was soon barely readable as the light of a hot sun glinted off the glass.

"You heard me. I'm going in."

1 This may make no sense to anyone who isn't an early medievalist - suffice to say that Roger was not the only excessively common Franco-Norman name in the high medieval world.
2 The anagram is intentional.
3 Because running with a "let's name things after exotic animals" theme seemed like fun.

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:18 PM »
Aha well I'm glad you like them, it means a lot! And that phrase is pretty great, don't be surprised if it makes it in ;)

Ace little story too! You'll be happy to know you'll soon be able to spread the stories of Major Tancred and his battles all over the world. The squad creator is ready! And boy are we pleased with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X029EbdMWSY ( i couldn't seem to embed this, it told me the link was invalid :o )

So let us know what you think! And as ever, anyone you think will be interested, please send this their way. Tomorrow we should have a more in-depth look at game-play, and another full battle video

We're currently working on the initial round of balancing costs. Pretty sure we don't want any Rhinos costing the same as Curious George there! 

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »
Yay, I like contributing random bits to projects :D

If you're embedding videos, you need to use the http version of the url not https, like so:

:)

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
Ah super! That makes a lot of sense.
Just writing some possible upgrades now. Would it be a cool thing if you could upgrade your commander to be in one of those heavy weapons suits? He is currently a massive badass with the sword and pistol, but fluff wise i feel some would want their fearless leader strolling around high above the rest :balrog:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »
By the heavy suit, do you mean the Flamingo, or the thing the heavy weapons guy has?

PartyWithAliens

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
The thing the heavy weapons guy has (which i think we might be calling a Heron or an Ibis). Flamingo might also be cool to take him in.. Tanks are next on the to do list! They take up 4 squares so need a little finessing to stop being an unpleasant contribution to the UX