Author Topic: Clancy of "The Overflow"  (Read 3399 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Clancy of "The Overflow"
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
This is a poem, but not by me (and therefore it might belong in another area of the forum). It might well be familiar to Australians, since it's by an Australian poet, but probably not to people elsewhere. It compares the life of a cattle drover in the bush with an office worker - the full text is available in various places, including the University of Adelaide, and Project Gutenberg (choose the HTML version; in that scroll down to the Contents, or the poem itself). There's also a Wikipedia article about it.

It's one of very poems that has stuck with me - I don't read much poetry. I found it written on a display on the wall of a pub in Perth (Western Australia), in 2007. I was at the end of a six-week holiday, touring Australia and New Zealand, and the words seemed to encapsulate a lot of my experience. This verse in particular summed up a lot of the sights and sounds of natural Australia, and implied the scents as well:

And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him
  In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
  And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars.

I had seen the "plains extended" (and also mountains, coastlines, tropical jungle, and coral reefs), and heard the voices, kindly or not, of assorted wildlife. The scent of gum trees (eucalyptus) brings back immediate memories from many parts of the holiday. The Southern Hemisphere night sky is indeed "wond'rous", especially when seen from somewhere out of reach of street-lights.

And only a few days later, I would be back in the office, to face the round eternal of the cash-book and the journal, or at least programming the accounting software that handles them now.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Clancy of "The Overflow"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Also, there's a 21st century version which might appeal as well: clancy@theoverflow.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Clancy of "The Overflow"
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:30 AM »
Aye, tis a good one.

I will always associate it with my grandfather, who has recited it to all of us on many an occasion.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.