Author Topic: Initial Reaction  (Read 5370 times)

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
Initial Reaction
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:40:51 PM »
It seems like a good mod so far. I like the regional barracks option, and once the Marius changes arrive (which I believe do arrive too quickly, I had them in 254 BC), the fact that I only have Early Legionary Cohort. Also the ability to train Equites after the Marius changes, instead of getting different cavalry. One question, does my decision to Romanize or not affect the regional troop training ability; in other words, if I have a regional barracks, will I still be able to train those troops if I romanize, and will I have the option to Romanize and therefore train my ELC everywhere, or not?

Update on my Rome campaign in RTR. Going OK, but Sicily does not like me, all three towns I took kicked me out. I will need to exterminate next time. I have a crash when I end turn in 224 BC, it has crashed three straight times, so I can't get past it. I will try to get past it again later on.

update: unresolvable crash. It will not get past the end turn, as of 5/12/16.

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Initial Reaction
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »
      Started another Roman campaign. Had a Greek fleet blockading Rhegium. I went to attack them, they had zero men in the fleet. So I right-clicked the fleet unit in the window where I choose to autoresolve, and it was a unit of Phalanx Pikemen. Weird.  Rome rolls in the money, by the way.  Really awesome.
      Oh. When you start a campaign as the Hellenic Kingdoms, your diplomat starts at the very bottom of the screen in Africa. Your closest settlement is Cyrene, but it takes at least five turns for the diplomat to get anywhere near Cyrene. And most of the time you need your top barracks to build your standard Hellenic troops.

Update: Irresolvable crash at 214 BC, after battle vs Gaul. Have fought, and simmed battle, no matter. It crashes during the turns, right after Spain moves.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
I was having similar crashes, not sure what causes them. Each time I was able to save it there and after a few times of retrying I'd get past it. Something tells me it has to do with a faction adopting a new character or something.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »
OK, trying another Roman campaign.  I guess I can be more aggressive, Rome makes enough money to do that.  I will have to see.  Have had Marius changes, so my military is in transition.  At this point, I have one post-Marian army and one pre-Marian army.  I am waiting for Rome and Capua to finish their Pantheions to upgrade the armies.  I will pull the pre-Marian troops from my towns to replace casualties until I run out, then replace the units gradually with local troops or cohort.
One little thing, the battle window showing your troops vs the enemy, there is never a good icon for the enemy commander.  It may be a random unit, or a building.  You never know.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:13:26 AM »
Yeah it's a UI issue, I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I wonder how you're getting the Marian event so quickly?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
It happens when my first city goes to huge.  I guess training more troops would slow that down, but in most towns, once I get my first level troops I focus on economy.  Towns that do not come under attack get pretty much only economy buildings (Rome, Capua, and such), so they grow fast.  I try to get a good economy so I can afford multiple armies that are of a decent size and quality.  Then I wage a three- or four-front war.
I am seeing as high as 9.5% growth rates in large towns and minor cities, and judging by the increase in population, it is more than that.  So my cities boom, and I go to Marius quickly.  Rome starts off making a lot of money right off the bat.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 04:17:35 PM »
Dang that's so bad. Well it's been fixed but I'm still waiting to get you and a few others into our system. Once you're in I'll provide instructions to getting the mod set up on your pc or you'll have the option of letting me set it up for you, via team viewer.

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
Crashes at 236 BC.  I think Gaul is the first faction to go after me, then Germania, and it crashes around there.  Three straight crashes, and it had been a little while since I saved it.  I will attempt to resolve it later.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »
Okay

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
Irresolvable crash.  I guess irresolvable is not a word, judging by spell-check.  236 BC, winter.  I have tried moving units around, no effect.  I think my next campaign will be Greek of some sort.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »
Messaged instructions to obtain latest version through the PM here

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
I suspect that the crash is caused by traits, I had a similar issue with RTRVII Platinum but I couldn't get it fixed so I abandoned my submod.

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 05:32:04 AM »
Yeah, I don't mod anything in vanilla RTW, except the playable/nonplayable factions.
Started a Hellenic Kingdoms campaign.  Not real exciting, too spread out.  Especially when the eastern cities start revolting to you.  The inability to retrain my troops quickly is a drag.  Again, diplomat started at bottom of map.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
With the Hellenic Kingdoms it is wise to focus on one area of the map. It's a Superfaction, not intended to be super playable but instead be split up into factional campaigns later on.

Vincentius

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »
So in other words, make sure the outliers can defend themselves, but build up one area's forces and fight there.