Author Topic: Fantasy book recommendations please!  (Read 11778 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fantasy book recommendations please!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 11:50:19 PM »
Just finished The wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Was quite good, although not sure it warranted the hyping up that one of my friends gave it.
I think Rothfuss is almost the antithesis of Martin in some ways: Martin is all plot writing and a pretty average prose stylist, Rothfuss' plots meander but the quality of his prose is very good.

I will reiterate a couple of strong general recommendations I didn't have when we first did this thread but which I've probably mentioned elsewhere: Rogues of the Republic for silly bouncy heist fantasy and Daevabad for non-European-centric classic epic stuff and lots of djinn. I really should pick up some of the other recommendations here!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fantasy book recommendations please!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2023, 07:04:01 PM »
Just finished The wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Was quite good, although not sure it warranted the hyping up that one of my friends gave it.
Been a while since I last read it, iirc I found about half of it very very good, maybe a quarter of it was decent and the remainder was "wtf, why did he write so much plot based on his weird sexual fantasies and maybe orientalism hard on". Overall I enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll read the final book if it ever comes out, but as Joobs said the plot is not the best in this one. The Slow Regard of Silent Things is really good though, it doesn't need plot.