Author Topic: The Media, and all that  (Read 3231 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Media, and all that
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »
You've probably all heard that Rupert Murdoch, the world's biggest media baron, is in a big spot of bother at the moment. Lots of stories are coming out about illegal phone hacking, police bribery, and so on. But is anyone surprised? And what do you think of the political responses?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: The Media, and all that
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
Haven't paid much attention to it honestly. :P

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
I'm not surprised. The modern age has really gone to the dogs. Honour has disappeared.

Anyway I'm with CG. Ignore the media. Its crap.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
I don't pay any attention to the media. It all started a year ago.

I just stopped watching news. The media always focuses on bad news, and honestly, you can't do much to help those people who aren't close to you. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to make life better for everyone. Just don't expect much.

"Just because I can't change everything, doesn't mean I shouldn't try to change anything at all" -Tim Mcilrath
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
It doesn't fit in my life. As a fact, I don't even watch TV. I agree completely with SW.
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
I gain my news via the BBC, which tends to be about the last balanced news organisation on the planet IMO.

I disagree with SW that one shouldn't pay any attention to the news though; the world out there is somewhat depressing, but it's important to be informed about it. Uninformed people are much easier to sway, even intelligent ones such as yourselves. Knowing the details of political issues allows people to hold their leaders to account, and that's very important to maintain a safe and democratic society. Those who do not think inevitably get their thinking done for them.

I think the issue here is of deeper issues with the way the media acts as part of society; their sensationalism and drive for political influence has in many cases totally over-ridden the provision of information. The UK at least needs far stricter laws to stop individuals owning so many different news outlets. The news can be depressing, but at the least it ought to be telling it (relatively) straight.

CG: I guess your news comes via Fox? Murdoch owns that, so they've been reporting on it as little as possible, thusly I'm not surprised. :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
I don't have any particular news agency that I get my "news" from.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
Fair enough. The popular perception in the rest of the world is that Fox basically dominates the US except for the coast and cities, hence the assumption.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
I disagree with SW that one shouldn't pay any attention to the news though; the world out there is somewhat depressing, but it's important to be informed about it. Uninformed people are much easier to sway, even intelligent ones such as yourselves. Knowing the details of political issues allows people to hold their leaders to account, and that's very important to maintain a safe and democratic society. Those who do not think inevitably get their thinking done for them.

Wow, you really sound like a politician. Now I see why would you like to be a Prime Minister.

But I still have my opinion. Being informed means nothing for me. Mostly because you'll get filtered information and outrageous lies...
Real news never make it to the surface. I'm too tired to explain right now, but I'll try tomorrow.

People lie. Politicians especially. That's their profession, after all.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
Honestly I agree with Silver Wolf's position but I do see what Jubal's getting at. I mean there was an Australian scandal a few months back about a footbal manager who was sleeping with a teenage girl. The amount of lies that were involved in that was amazing. I mean, even the girl couldn't make her mind up. It was then that I decided keep up to date with current events (Maybe. :P You might remember the Egypt thread from back on Zetaboards. :D )  but don't read the opinionated crap after it.

EDIT* And CG strikes again!
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.