Author Topic: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing through 0.4  (Read 43757 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
Thank you Zephyronian and welcome to exilian!
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Zephyronian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Of course thank you for inviting me.
Rome Total War, Exilian, and RTR. What else do you need?

Zephyronian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
Okay finnaly Greek campaign is done :P Didin't face any bugs , but it was HARD, I mean REALLY hard. Every single roman "House" started to attack me on Sicilia :P Managed to make an alliance with Carthaginians to help me fight, so quick summary campaign ended with me conquering most of seleucid lands and destroying Macedons :D

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
Post some screens?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »
Testers: Good job so far but PLEASE give me a detailed description of the starting positions. Are they too weak, too strong, or just right? Telling me how your campaign goes is cool but I need to know how each faction starts out so I can balance them in the future. Go in depth with your analysis :)

Zephyronian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
Indepth you say? Okay.... Greeks-starting position is great ain't too hard or too easy, but the settlement near Saramatians is a bit annoying to expand with because I never expand there, I always try to conquer all of Mediterranean and then just conquer Asia or Egypt, but it's your choice how to expand this mode so yeah.

Brutii- I haven't gotten to play with it yet ;D

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »
Okay post your results here when you do!

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
Ok I have my Results from Carthage and Numidia:

First Carthage:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Numidia.. that's a whole other story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:27:08 PM by b257 »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »
Good report b257.

I can make Carthage a bit stronger.

As for Numidia, shouldn't they be a challenging faction to play as? I don't want every faction to start off easy.

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2014, 05:52:43 AM »
Actually Carthage is already strong as it is with it's Economy. If anything just replace some of the swords men in the capital with Libyan Spears to make them look at least somewhat threatening to Rome.

As for Numidia, there is difficult and then there is "DIFFICULT" and let me say Numidia is the Latter. Nothing big in regards to its starting army just include a spear unit or 2 to at least have a chance at holding any captured settlements.

Cozmicus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »
So my good friend, I've tested the Dacians like 50 years or so.

you have done an amazing job, but there still a lot of work ahead of you. Now i will only write the bigger details of what is most important:
I've played hard/hard

As a faction the Dacians starts good. They are balanced and the game is easy in the binging. you can conquer very easy a lot of cities nearby because they are very poorly defended (most of them has only 3 ilyrians mercenarys units and you can conquer almost all the cities nearby  with only recruiting a few mercenaries. SO that has to be improve a lot..
* The capital (sarmizegetusa) is perfectly placed on the map but the other city Porolissum is a disaster. In the history that city did not exist it was a Roman name for a camp they build after the Dacins war 107 AD. So that we have to change
*The dacians family tree should improve, the faction leader should be at least 15 years younger because of the age of his sons and he has to have a daughter as well.. 3 sons and a daughter..
* On the minimap there are 2 dacians provinces, One you start with witch is correct but the other one to the est is a rebel faction called dacia as well. The minimap is a disaster by the way.
* Government building , I believe the barbarians faction should stop growing after reaching a minor city. (Just like RTR platinum 1.9 witch is the best out there mode i belive ) Other ways you have to change the in game pictures for the bigger barbarian city's. and the building should take alot longer to construct. A lot longer. now after 4 turns you can get all the units witch is making the game very boring...
* The city names around Dacia are horrible. As a very passionate historian I can tell you that 90% of them did not even exits and are places total scrappy on the map. For example the city near the black sea is called Tomi ???? There was a greek city called Tomis around there so many names have to changed. Luckily i might help you with that.....

So the campaign map looks ok. The dacians gets strong quickly and there only danger are the macedonians so stay away from them... I like that actually. The Thracians are far inferior and they don't really bother you. They have problems of their owns with other factions...

I will test them later, but they looked ok as well from the AI point of view (me playing the dacians).

A big bug in on the map is a little lake between dacians and ilyrians (todays hungary) where there is a rebel naval ship going nowhere. It's actually quite funny:  the war fleet caught in a little lake for no reason at all.
Ah one more thing: the rebel factions is quite aggressive, there are a lot rebels showing up almost every year, witch can be funny sometimes.. The diplomacy between faction needs a change.  Every diplomat offers you their map in exchanged for money. and they all ask for alliances witch is stupid. a diplomat should not be able to talk to a city, i believe, if there is no governor with diplomacy skills.or with a army without a leader with diplomacy skills, they should only be able to bribe them or not.   that will make the game more interesting.

There should only be 1 Roman faction.. They are just in the way of each otherwise. and they should have it hard from the start, fighting rebels, greek and gauls other way they conquer everything to easy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:58:32 PM by Cozmicus »

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
There should only be 1 Roman faction.. They are just in the way of each otherwise.

ahowl's getting the Eye candy and faction positioning done with first, when he has the visual bugs solved and faction placement set then he's getting into the dirty stuff in regards to implementing a new AI and Merging the Romans as well as introducing newer factions and other stuff.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
Good job Cozmicus! Excellent report.
Yes, b257 is right, the first release is essentially vanilla visually revamped along with a few tweaks to the gameplay. Here is the plan that I have, and I hope it works:

1. Finish development for first release: descr_strat tweaks based off tests, UI's, RS2 settlement trees, other graphical improvements like culture specific UI for the campaign/battle map, and maybe new barbarian walls from RTR VII.

2. Release the first full version of the RTR Project on TWC, this release needs to be big and attract a lot of attention. Many people are still very unhappy with R2 and still think RTW is better. There is not a lot of development going on for RTW mods at the moment and people over there believe that we may not see any more RTW mods. That is why I have kept the RTR Project away from TWC because I want it to be a nice and fresh surprise for everyone there.

3. Along with the release I will include a concept of what the RTR Project is about and what it represents along with the big picture outlook for the mod.

4. Hopefully at least a few more people are willing to join/contribute to this so development can speed up and cooler things can be added.

5. Development of the second version, this is where it will get fun and difficult. A lot of history will be involved here!

Zephyronian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
Brutii-almost the same as other Roman houses not to hard, but I woud like if you coud make Macedons not as agressive. Because the turn after I took Apollonia a 10 stack army came to kill me. (I know that these are not as detailed as the other people, but hey I hope they help ;) )

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
Thank you Zephyronian, you do a good job