Author Topic: Swiss Minaret Ban  (Read 1997 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Swiss Minaret Ban
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »
The biggest party in Switzerland is attempting to pass a law banning minarets being built as they are a symbol of Islamic power. Is this just Islamophobia, and what should be done about it?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Swiss Minaret Ban
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
there's been similar issues in the UK. In Manchester, a church was knocked down to build a mosque. I read about this in the Daily Mail, so it was obviously full of 'DISRESPECTING OUR CULTURE INNIT!', but according to the article, few people still visited the church, although those that did were left out in the cold a bit. I guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils.

As to the Swiss minaret ban, I don't know much about it, but it does sound rather paranoid.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Swiss Minaret Ban
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »
Quote from: "Marcus"
there's been similar issues in the UK. In Manchester, a church was knocked down to build a mosque. I read about this in the Daily Mail, so it was obviously full of 'DISRESPECTING OUR CULTURE INNIT!', but according to the article, few people still visited the church, although those that did were left out in the cold a bit. I guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils.

As to the Swiss minaret ban, I don't know much about it, but it does sound rather paranoid.
Round where I live, the mosque was knocked down to make room for a load of rubble.