Forum Games - The Beer Cellar! / Re: Word Association
« Last post by Jubal on Today at 12:12:58 PM »
Ditch
« Last post by Othko97 on Today at 11:35:20 AM »
Culvert.
Cepheida / Re: Cepheida Captain's Log
« Last post by Jubal on Today at 10:58:04 AM »
Making another push on writing the exploration game rules this weekend: I'm getting close to finishing the first draft of the objectives, which are quite complex and frankly probably horribly unbalanced due to the dual-objectives system. In other words, every player has two things they can try to do, a scenario objective for all players and a faction objective for themselves, and either one can win you the game. By and large, the faction objective is meant to be grindier-harder: the scenario objective is often "do this to stabilise or exit the planet" whereas the faction objective is often much more about establishing your faction on the planet. However, you're less likely to be in direct competition over doing the faction objective so if the players are deadlocked on the main mission they might switch to trying their faction objectives. This also provides more exploration push: there are few objectives where squabbling over the centre of the map is helpful, especially as players are hard to totally shift (the ships especially are pretty rugged). I don't think I've got the system right yet and it needs more testing, but I think it's a good theory for making the game asymmetrical which was always the plan.

I also need to add some more to the item chart, and I've not done the terraforming rules yet. But things are getting towards a complete, albeit minimally tested, setup.
« Last post by Jubal on Today at 10:35:25 AM »
Culverin
Discussion and Debate - The Philosopher's Plaza / Re: UK Politics 2024
« Last post by Jubal on Today at 10:24:53 AM »
There's definitely room for someone to write a D-Ream parody entitled "Things Can Only Stay Similar" for Starmer's election campaign.
« Last post by Othko97 on Today at 08:15:08 AM »
Pulverise.
Discussion and Debate - The Philosopher's Plaza / Re: UK Politics 2024
« Last post by Othko97 on Today at 08:13:30 AM »
Yeah. If I wanted to be fair to Labour (I usually don't, but if I did), I'd say there also feels like a competence difference. I do genuinely think that on basic keeping the wheels turning stuff Starmer is likely to be functional in a way that Sunak has failed to be and Sunak's predecessors very definitely haven't been since at least 2016. Tons of Tory MPs seem to be stepping down to leave the sinking ship, so I think it's fair to say they do know they've lost already.
I was probably a bit too flippant there yeah, I think that Labour will be more competent at the day-to-day functioning of government.  It feels like the Conservatives are scraping the bottom of the barrel for cabinet members after 14 years of scandals, reshuffles and controversies.  I also don't think Labour will be selling the country off for parts in the same way, but it's still difficult to get excited for Change that looks to be more "things won't get worse" rather than "things will get better".
« Last post by Glaurung on Today at 01:53:19 AM »
powder
I think that so far, the private space launch companies have only sent people outside the atmosphere for missions that can be measured in hours.  Its only projects like Apollo and the Soviet, NASA, and Chinese space stations which put people outside the atmosphere for weeks or months and faced issues like muscle degradation in free fall or how to recycle water with near 100% effectiveness.  Of course, most of these issues would get easier with space launches that cost hundreds of dollars per kilo not $10,000 per kilo.  Eg. one of the solutions for solar storms outside the magnetosphere is to give a spacecraft a 'storm shelter' of materials which resist those nasty particles, and have the crew hide inside when NASA tells them a solar storm is coming ... but that costs mass.

The Glorious Twenty-Fifth Of May cometh round again, for those who remember. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10