Author Topic: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing 0.5!  (Read 29656 times)

xsithspawnx

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing 0.5!
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »
So my Pontus campaign is also complete.  The overall feel of my campaign looks to be pretty similar to Bercor's Armenian campaign. 

Fair warning, this is going to be a long one.  I'll put this all in spoilers so you don't have to scroll past my giant wall of text every time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
As it seems we still need quite a few more factions tested and Pontus is done I'll go ahead and grab Thrace if there are no complaints.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
@Mausolos
Hopefully it can be worked out for you.

Yeah the Greeks will need a new family tree in the next version. Hmm, is there any settlements that the Ptolemies shouldn't have? I'll give them Lysimachea but I don't want to make them TOO powerful since they are already steamrolling other factions.

@xsithspawnx

Great report, I'm curious to know what caused that CTD though. Could be a random BI.exe crash.
Yes the Seleucids and Egyptians not going to war surprises me. I probably should not have given the Seleucids the garrisons I did, regardless it will take a lot of work to balance the east.
Thrace definitely should not be that superior.
As for battles, they are a lot better than vanilla but you are right about the morale. I'm thinking fatigue may play a part. I'm not sure. I need a whiz on the mechanics to help me out here haha

I think that for a BETA 0.5 stage that this mod is pretty good. Obviously there is a lot to implement, take out, and edit but I'm liking the results.
I'm lucky to have you all here to work with! The bigger this project gets the more I'll need you all. Thank you for helping me, it takes a lot of weight off my shoulders!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:46:53 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
Yeah, it seems the Seleucids are the big player in the mod. If they don't get in war with the Ptolemies, then Pontus, Armenia and Parthia will have a bad time. From your map I take the following conclusions: Thracia and Dacia are pretty damn strong; the roman factions, except partially the Julli, were suprisingly bad at expanding; Carthage did a good job, and so did Gaul; Britain does what I'm was fearing if we give them a settlement in the continent, roflstomp through it.

In regards to the battle mechanics, I think they're well thought out by phalanx man, you can see his post explaining them, but need some adjustements, as such: increase substantially the base morale (the other parameters remain the same), increase slightly the units defence and maybe decrease the attack; increase the missile attack elite of archers and slingers (Cretan Archers, Rhodian Slingers, Balearic Slingers, etc) because right now they're absolutely useless. They have pratically the same stats of the normal missile units and there isn't really any reason for being recruited. Right now, slingers and archers don't cause any almost any causalties in the enemy troops (I did a test with a balearic slinger firing against a early legionary cohort and it killed like 5 men with half it's ammunition), which I kinda like, since in reality they weren't meat killers. However, elite missile units should cause some serious damage to other units. Also, why does the roman archer has 7 of missile attack and his greek counterpart 10? Were they really so different, quality wise, in that time?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Late in my carthage campaign I've noticed something, I am having, problems in regards to happiness. Settlements like Utica, Carthage and others are always in the yellow. Tingis is always rioting every other turn. I have problems with sanitation as it is always high despite my efforts to decrease it with buildings that aid in public health.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:32 PM »
Late in my carthage campaign I've noticed something, I am having, problems in regards to happiness. Settlements like Utica, Carthage and others are always in the yellow. Tingis is always rioting every other turn. I have problems with sanitation as it is always high despite my efforts to decrease it with buildings that aid in public health.

Yeah, that's squalor for you. When you let your population number get out of control, namely by setting taxes to low, the squalor rises like mad. The sanitary buildings help but are not enough. The only way to deal with it is good ol' extermination.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
That's just an old vanilla issue. Yup we will need to have a look at the EDU and make a few adjustments.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Yeah squalor is one of the main problems to overcome, but other mods have also achieved it. As for your question about archers, Bercor, well the Romans did almost never deploy own archers. Maybe we should just wholly delete them from their roster? Greeks weren't the best archers, too, though, but Cretans were quite good and extremely popular (The Ptolemies, Pergamon, Cyrene, the Seleucids and Macedon all used them regularly). They should definitely be stronger, likewise Rhodian slingers and other skirmisher elites, too.

As for the Thracians, that's another chronological problem of course. The Odrysian kingdom we have in the game right now with those three settlements was destroyed by the rampaging Celts in 279 BC, just one year after our campaign starts. They erected the kingdom of Tylis, which would exist for the better part of the rest of the centuries, and Thracian tribes would migrate northwards, mainly the Triballi retained their own kingdom just North of Tylis. Unfortunately the internet doesn't offer good maps on this  >:(

As far as I can see we might take away Lesbos from the Ptolemies, but I can't find out who controlled it.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
The Thracian faction is going to be replaced by the Illyriae after the Beta.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:01:03 PM by Bercor »

YourStepDad

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »
Okay, here are my thoughts as the Julii VH/VH after some 20+ turns in the game.

Right off the bat, it feels like Polished/Retextured vanilla, which is a very good thing in my book. I am loving the nice touch you added to the animations, and generally how you retextured the units. Really job well done.

-- GRAND CAMPAIGN --

The economy works in the same way it does in vanilla, from what I can tell. But as the Julii, there is a problem. You start with a solid army of triarii, hastatii and principes, and are surrounded by basically ungarrisoned rebel villages, with just one likewise poorly defended gaulic settlement at the start. This makes for a RAPID expansions at no cost or risk. You can harm and even steamroll the gauls fairly quickly, and you can skyrocket your otherwise fairly balanced economy by virtually stealing defenseless rebel villages everywhere.

it's too easy to send out several weaker armies at the beginning to conquer everywhere, while focusing your main army on killing off the gauls.

This may be me just coming back from EB and RS, but I think the Romans should not have archers until lategame, likewise the triarii and/or principes should be somehow unlocked later, because as it stands right now, Julii start mowing down everything in their path.

If I can remember correctly, in vanilla, there were not nearly enough rebel settlements at the start, most everything in gaul was in control of the gaulic tribes, which made them hold their own quite well. Sure, you would have some success in the beginning, but soon as you started pushing deeper in gaul, you'd have problems bringing over fresh recruits, and you would have to worry about sending them to other fronts. It stimulated limited manpower in gaul flawlessly.

Right now, I think I am the strongest faction, and I am just about to wipe out the gauls. This is problematic.

--- BATTLES ---

Now, I would say the battles are a bit problematic. Although I adore longer battles, such as they are in Roma Surrectum, here I feel they are somewhat unnatural. Fully surrounded units of 20 men and even below hold their ground when the battle is clearly over.

Likewise, skirmishers have problem with skirmishing, they tend to dive into melee by accident several times, often getting hopelessly mowed down in the process. Only after pulling them away from harms way AFTER some other melee unit of yours has engaged the enemy in melee do they stop to shower the enemy with javelins, regardless of whether skirmishing is on or off I think.

That would be it for now. Enjoyable, promising, pretty, but it needs work and balancing still. :)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
Good report, StepDad and I'm happy to see that you support my point of taking the archers away from Rome  ;)

@Bercor Ah yes, true. Could you repeat which factions are brought in for the redundant Roman families? The Gauls should get the Thracian regions then, while the Ptolemies would get Lysimacheia.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
Ah yes, I had forgotten about that, thanks. We need to discuss the distribution of the different Greeks to Rebels, Greek Cities and Greek states later on since it seems a bit random  :P

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »
Ah yes, I had forgotten about that, thanks. We need to discuss the distribution of the different Greeks to Rebels, Greek Cities and Greek states later on since it seems a bit random  :P

Start a new thread then. There's a first time for everything.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
I guess we can still use the old thread you linked for that.

Tried another battle on my Greek campaign, this time everything worked well. Battle mechanics were very much like vanilla, but there weren't any big problems. On the map I think we still have too many rebel towns, but that is going to change anyway.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:16:10 AM by Mausolos of Caria »

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 12:53:16 AM »
Good reports, basically I am getting the same message and that is that we need to balance a lot of things out.