Author Topic: Libya going critical  (Read 9557 times)

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Libya going critical
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »
A deadline for what, exactly?
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
Gadaffi forces have been given until Saturday (the end of the islamic feast of Eid) to surrender before rebel forces advance on their three remaining strongholds (Sabha, Sirte, and some other one I've forgotten the name of).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
Ah, I see. Well, it would be nice if they did surrender, but I doubt they will. Anyone loyal to Gaddafi is probably loyal for a reason.

Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »
A lot of people are having their worldview shattered by this war. Gadaffi's support is partially based on belief in his invincibility...

I also refer to Justin-meme for further comment...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Did he really say that?
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.

comrade_general

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
This is what I should do, and do right, not like some pansy LA dweller.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/?GT1=43001

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Looks like it's mostly over, a load of mercenaries and troops have buggered off into Niger, and the remaining Gadaffi strongholds are surrounded.

comrade_general

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
Hopefully they brought some towers and/or ladders for the strongholds.

Gadamaffi must be in bad shape if he's resorted to hiring Libyan Mercs. :P

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Hopefully they brought some towers and/or ladders for the strongholds.

Gadamaffi must be in bad shape if he's resorted to hiring Libyan Mercs. :P

For this post you may have three internets.
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.

comrade_general

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
Woo! Internets accepted. ;D

So what news from the front, Jub? (since you're the only one who's paying any attention to this)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Yep, the war is nearly over, but now they just have to keep the people sweet for 20 months until the first elections.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Assault on Bani Walid failed today, the one on Sirte appears to be moving still though.

Jufra and Sabha haven't really been touched, they're pretty isolated anyway.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
Well it seams that there was not exactly a civil war in Lybia. Someone coul call it more a NATO operation supported by an amount of Lybians against the dictatorial regime put on them. They couldn't do that by themselves not due to weapons, due to lack of democratic consiousness in the majority of those poor people...  :-\

How can cities act as defences of a dictator? That means he has some support, either tribal or political. Tribe is a form of society more or less...  :o
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
I'd disagree, I would put it down to weapons not democratic conciousness. Gadaffi had the money and guns to destroy as much of his population as was necessary to maintain control: large scale protests CAN be destroyed by firepower, it's a sad reality (Tianamen Square being a particularly good example, or the Prague Spring, or the poor people in Bahrain). Also, to call it just a NATO operation is really very insulting to the Libyans. NATO shouldered none of the "hard work" of ground fighting and taking the towns, the Misratans and the Berbers from the hills fought incredibly effectively given their lack of training and I think it's important to remember that.

As to the remaining cities: if you see the messages from people who've fled the fighting, Dimos, most of them didn't actually know what was going on. In Sirte the people haven't been told that Tripoli has fallen. Even so most of them are being prevented from escaping by Gadaffi's fighters.

...so a few people are loyal, but it's not on a tribal basis. It's essentially a few military brigades who believe that there is nothing left for them in a new democratic Libya.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
You have good points lad and I agree with you in most of it.

You know after the spring of prague the Communist regime of Czehoslovakia fell -yes I know this hapenned many years after- the same will happen everywhere, that's inevitable all regimes fall and new ones rise in their place, nothing is forever.

My Critical difference is that your western -and mine; we gave bases and 3 radar-planes- are not legalized by the call of a part of the Lybian society even if that part is in mortal danger, even if it is the majority.

Everyone who puts his head in the food of the chickens he is eaten by them, a greek saying goes. Other states will take advantage of our civil wars and fights if we do that to other, weaker states. I hope and I believe that humanity will experience the day that Tian an Men Square will be named ''Square of Change'' and the ''Martyrs' Square'' of Tripolis will be named a ''yellow'' or ''red'' or ''turquise'' square.

Besides the White Tower of Thessaloniki was once called ''Tower of Blood'' and the London Tower prison was initialy a palace.

Ta panta rhei.
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold