Author Topic: Roller Coaster Tycoon  (Read 4332 times)

comrade_general

Roller Coaster Tycoon
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
Anyone else play this little gem? I used to play the original quite often. The sequel was pretty much just an expansion of the first game, and I only recently got RCT3, which has some spectacular graphics (and a ride-cam), but is a little unwieldy for me so far since I'm so used to the old style. So any other coaster freaks out there?

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Re: Roller Coaster Tycoon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
I am not alone :D . Had the original on my Xbox years ago. Didn't like it at first (control system was dire), but when I was off school for something like 3 weeks - a month with a hip problem I spent pretty much every day playing it, and fell in love with it. I also played the second on PC, but it didn't seem to have the same magic as the first since I didn't really find a scenario that I enjoyed as much as some of them from RCT1 (Crater Lake was some of the most fun I ever had in a game). RCT3 is pretty good, I recently bought it off steam (played it before but my brother has it back home) after I got a random urge to play it. I do miss the old style a bit though.

Also there really needs to be an RCT4 :( .

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
I remember my first accident caused by poor planing. They were handsomely buried, ingame. If I'm not wrong I believe I placed an individual tomb for each of the affected, plus a small commemorative garden to remember the foolishness of the owner of the park. This doesn't mean he was unaffected by this: he closed the park until the roller coaster was taken down to the last piece of tube.

I guess I had a bit of fun with it, no big deal though
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
w00t, glad to see I'm not alone as well.  8)

I could imagine playing it on a console would be a little difficult. Agree about the scenarios. I like to go in to a fresh park, maybe with a ride or two, and build it up from scratch. A lot of RCT2 scenarios were about fixing up pre-established parks or paying back loans - boring. And the scenarios for RCT3? Forget about it. Way too easy and boring. Luckily there is the ability to create custom scenarios, and I was able to find some of the originals that people had recreated. They are here if you're interested and hadn't already found them.

Hooray for massive coaster crash explosions - kaboom! <-- lol! I've never seen that happen before. At least you gave the riders a proper burial, I was always just annoyed that people were apprehensive to go on that ride for a while and give me money.  ;)

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Wow, lol! That was fun, although the small amount of pixels doesn't allow to see the cause of the accident.  :D Apparently it's a "mod" that changes the coaster speed.

I can't remember any of the scenarios though. I think I always had fun building huge go-kart tracks, that took kind of like a space of 50x30 or something. Can't remember well.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
Thank you so much for that link CG! I can finally play Crater Lake again :D .

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »
I love RCT! Though, I re-bought it the other week, and I thought it had a sandbox mode, do you have to unlock it? I totally forget xD
SotK - what happened between 2011 and now? You decided against playing Crater Lake the other week! :O :P

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
It didn't live up to my nostalgia properly, the giant amount of water was frustrating :( .

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:24:10 PM »
Awwh, The Old Forest is where it's at. :P

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
Boopland!

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
The Prehistoric section of Boopland is amazing :D

comrade_general

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
The expansion had levels without monetary constraints which could be considered sandbox modes I guess.

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
I played RTC2 for hundreds of hours, most of that time was spent building death coasters... :D

Got RTC3 in a sale last year played it for a bit, controls were very different and the UI is all new so I haven't played it all that much
Tis but a scratch...

comrade_general

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
Got RTC3 in a sale last year played it for a bit, controls were very different and the UI is all new so I haven't played it all that much

Same.