Author Topic: Why all the hate on smokers?  (Read 4182 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Why all the hate on smokers?
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
Ok, to start off I'm a smoker, have been since I was 16 (now 20) and I get unbelievable amounts of abuse because of it, given how small an effect it has.

From family and friends I can understand they might want me to quit for health reasons but strangers in the street will make comments and it's completely rude. It really feels like a weird form of prejudice where I'm ostracised for a liefstyle choice. Ok if you don't want to smoke yourself, ok if you want me to smoke in designated areas, but stop with all the hating it's getting ridiculous.

Discuss. Or don't, suit yourselves.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Why all the hate on smokers?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
Being rude to someone is being rude more or less regardless of reason, it's just not right. Even if I massively disagreed with something about someone, I wouldn't stoop to abusing them randomly.

I personally will admit I have a particular dislike of smoking, mostly because tobacco smoke makes me feel sick pretty easily; I'll put up with it when I need to, but avoid it where possible. Smoking probably (though it's hard to estimate) makes the government more than it costs them, so I can't argue on a social-financial basis against it really. For me, as long as smokers take care with their effects on other people (particularly avoiding smoking near children, preferably including their own) then it's their choice really. As I say, abusing people randomly for anything like that is just stupid though.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »
That's the kind of attitude that would suit me fine, and like all things I do this responsibly. There just seems to be way too much negativity over it.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
While I personally don't smoke, and don't intend to as I don't like it very much at all, strangers making comments like that is very rude. I must admit I like the separate smoking areas, because it prevents smoking happening around others who may not like it, especially children (I pretty much agree with Jubal on this point). But being judged like that by people who don't know you is completely unfair of them.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
Yeah... as an aside, what do people think about the UK government stalling on its plans for plain cigarette packaging? It seems like a no-brainer rule to have to me, doesn't affect people who want to smoke but does make it look less attractive to children. It seems very likely that the tobacco companies are using all the leverage they have behind the scenes to push for it not to happen. Or maybe the Tories are worried about vote losses to UKIP?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
No packaging other than labels would suit me fine. No brand is markedly different anyhow in my opinion (marlboro are a little harsher, mayfair and royals use lesser quality tobacco). I have heard of this proposal but I'm wondering what the end result would look like. A white box with health warnings and substance content on?

As a side note I'm quitting as soon as I have a win to feel good about (psychologically makes it easier). I caught my brother having stolen one of mine and  pretty much flipped out at him (harsh but necessary I hope). Very much against them making the same mistakes I have ;)

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
I'm of the opinion that cigarette packets should be plain. I don't see the difference it makes to smokers to be honest, but it could stop them looking like an attractive product to children.

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
To be honest, I don't think they do look particularly attractive to children currently.. I think it's still mainly the idea that smoking is somehow "cool" which is the issue. As far as I can see, there isn't much variation in packaging anyway (though I don't spend a huge amount of time looking at cigarette packaging to be fair..).

It is possible that having plain packaging might make them stand out more (http://xkcd.com/993/) :P

So Rob, am I to nag you? :P I'm sure that it shall be okay, have you talked to him about why you flipped out at him and why it's not a good plan to destroy your alveoli?
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
Yeah I've explained to him, used pictures and all that. He now just thinks it's stupid that I do it, which is fair enough I guess. Nagging me is helpful, though I get it all the time at home anyway :)

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Okay, well hopefully then he'll just be an additional force. I shall nag if I can :)
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »
I think countries that have plain packaging rules just make it brown card packs with a massive health warning and ingredients list. It's not much of a change but it does make them look less appealing which is good from the POV of stopping children getting them.

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
Just found out this existed, had to put it somewhere and here it is slightly relevent to topic:

Not a valid youtube URL

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Le fudge was that?