Author Topic: Euthanasia  (Read 2727 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Euthanasia
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
So a new debate has sprung up in the UK over assisted dying and people having the right to end their own life. Famous proponents include Terry Pratchett and Stephen Hawking, and more recently former Archbishop Lord Carey. Opposition is mostly from faith groups though by no means entirely, with some worried that people will feel pressured to die to not be a burden to family or society.

On Hawking's recent contribution to the debate:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28337443

What do people think about this?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Euthanasia
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:04:04 AM »
Total freedom of choice in one's own affairs as long as that choice doesn't infringe on the rights of others. Offing oneself would not conflict with that.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
I believe that if someone has absolutely no quality of life and truly wants to end it they should be allowed to as long as it does not negatively effect any uninvolved parties. :/ It's obviously a tough choice though to both make it legal and for someone to go through with it and I do not wish it to get to that stage for anyone.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
I am of the opinion that people should be allowed to top themselves if they want to. Obviously things become a little more complicated when you need a doctor's help, but I see no reason that with proper guidelines and common sense that Euthanasia shouldn't be legalised. We have a right to life, so surely we should have a right to death.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
I'm for this. The one caveat is we need appropriate controls. I don't know what they might be, but we don't want people offing their sick relatives because they're expensive.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
I think we're basically all in agreement on this.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
Groupthink ftw!