Poll

Should LGBT couples be allowed to marry?

Yes!
15 (93.8%)
No!
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Gay Marriage - Your Thoughts?  (Read 9960 times)

comrade_general

Re: Gay Marriage - Your Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
Have faith in yourself. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
If your argument comes from faith/culture, I think it's best to state that it's a faith based position. I mean, the danger is that when people argue from a faith-based platform but feel they need to have a more cogent argument it sort of becomes an argument where you have the answer and you're looking for evidence rather than vice versa, which doesn't work. Faith-based positions are by no means unacceptable in a debate, but in my opinion at least come off better and more reasonable when displayed as what they are.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
Fair point I guess but I still don't really like bringing faith into debates like this. Feels like a bit of a copout.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
If your argument comes from faith/culture, I think it's best to state that it's a faith based position. I mean, the danger is that when people argue from a faith-based platform but feel they need to have a more cogent argument it sort of becomes an argument where you have the answer and you're looking for evidence rather than vice versa, which doesn't work. Faith-based positions are by no means unacceptable in a debate, but in my opinion at least come off better and more reasonable when displayed as what they are.

Agree with this, but in this debate faith is a secondary issue imo. Gay marriage should be an option, simply for the sake of equality. Faiths can come into it later on, when institutions are deciding if they want to hold marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples, but to deny the option altogether is just silly.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
Agree with this, but in this debate faith is a secondary issue imo. Gay marriage should be an option, simply for the sake of equality. Faiths can come into it later on, when institutions are deciding if they want to hold marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples, but to deny the option altogether is just silly.
Also agreed.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »
Don't see the point in marriage myself, but if other people want to get married I don't care whether or not they put their pecker in another fellas pooper.
I don't think a faith should be forced to marry a gay couple though, because if you're stupid enough to be homosexual and proscribe to a vile homophobic faith then its your own fault for being a portugal for wits.

comrade_general

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
How colorful, yet true. :P

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
Colourful* but, yes quite.  :P
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Ashanorath

• Wiseass
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is I, LeClerc!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
You really miss the "don't give a armadillo" option. I mean, they should be allowed to get legaly married. Although, there is one thing about gay marriage/people that bothers me and it's when they get in your face acting like they're better than everyone else(I met a person like that and he really pissed me off). Anyway, their sexual orientation is their private thing and they should have same legal rights as any other person.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:40:44 PM by Ashanorath »
It's better to live within your dreams then to live without them.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »
I agree with Ashanorath.

Sexual orientation is like a dick. You have one and it's ok to be proud of it. What is not ok is taking it out in public and shoving it into somebody's face.
And marriage is just an old norm invented by possessive people long ago, in order to prevent cheating. Because all-knowing god sees everything, of course. And once you say "Yes, I do." that all-knowing god suddenly sees even more.

The comparison is a bit crude, but true nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:40:23 AM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 02:48:07 AM »
Sexual orientation is like a dick. You have one and it's ok to be proud of it. What is not ok is taking it out in public and shoving it into somebody's face.
I see you've been on facebook. ;)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
I haven't. I remember seeing it somewhere else.  ;)
It's quite a common phrase, actually.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
Yeah, I guess I think we're going to get a much better chance of normalising the situation so gay people don't feel they have to be communal or very public about things if there aren't these clear discrepancies in people's rights.

Also, remember it was only a decade or two ago that being outed as gay could sink someone's career. We shouldn't be wholly surprised if there's a few years of backlash to that before things settle down again.