Author Topic: Swap 2012  (Read 29690 times)

comrade_general

Re: Swap 2012
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
So is in NA's turn now or am I having a half turn and NA a turn and a half?
It is NA's turn. He will play out the rest of PG's turn plus a regular turn.

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »
ah i get it now
derf

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
Have you sent NA the file PG? :D

comrade_general

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »

comrade_general

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
PG! Please send the file to NA.... please?  :'(

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
The apparent death of this makes me sad :( .

comrade_general

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
PG should be getting that file sent over soon... right... PG? :P

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
I am so sorry, sorry enough that I've been quite literally ashamed to actually face you all. But tonight is the night. I got a new computer for my birthday and decided to take another crack at it. I've started my turn again and hope to have it done soon. To keep me on track, I've put a lot of effort into keeping it all legible.

I'm updating this post in a minute with all the screens and everything. Hold on a bit, Imageshack, like PG is slow but steady. ;)

ONGOING TURN ANALYSIS:

The turn begins at 240BC.  The Pontic King, Spartocus seems a bit... lacklustre. He and Dionysus "The Lewd" are set to attack a lot of Egyptians. Good luck with that guys, I'll be watching from Ancyra. :P

A new governing centre is built in Pergamum but something will need to be done about the squalor problems in Nicomedia.

The year is 239 BC and there is rioting in Pergamum. A  blacksmith is built in Sardis though so it's not all bad. A little bit of extreme haggling gets a bit of cash and trade rights from Gaul in exchange for map info.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In addition, Dionysus and Spartocus attack the Ptolemaic menace in the very centre of our empire... kingdom... satrapy? What the hell was Pontus anyway? :P

Deployment is weird on the undulating Pontic plains. I use the rocky formation to hold the right flank of my phalanx while one group of cavalry will protect the from going around the side. The other group will flank and hopefully rout the Egyptians once they hit the sarissas. The general will hold still and do a bit of "inspiring." Hopefully the king will arrive with his reinforcements cause otherwise Dionysos is screwed.

Dionysus: "What is this? Spartocus, you have betrayed me!"
Messenger: "It's not too bad sir, the Egyptian leader has been delayed too!"

The right wing of the Pontic cavalry does exceedingly well, taking down the Ptolemaic captain in short order.

The enemy reinforcements arrive and all semblance of control I had over the battle is lost... Any semblance of calm I retained at 12am was lost too...

Me: HOLY armadillo AS IF I NEEDED CHARIOTS TO ADD TO MY WORRIES!
Dionysos: HOLY armadillo AS IF I NEEDED CHARIOTS TO ADD TO MY WORRIES!
Messenger: Now it's all bad...

All of my plans to take regularish screenshots went out the window as I tried desperately not to make a fool out of myself on the depressing beast that is the interwebs. My next screenshot is well after the danger has past, when Spartocus finally gets his lazy ass into the battle. By now the Egyptian family memer has fled with all of his chariots and some other armadillo's happened in the centre of my line while I wasn't looking. But now the Pontic cavalry has once again proven itself, trampling all (Well hopefully not too many Pontics obviously. That would defeat the purpose.) under their hooves.

Only one man manages to escape from the cavalry. They should make a new reality show, Survivor: Pontus. 'Twould be amusing. Challenges include not being run over by horsies and dodging hundreds of pelted javelins.

This could have been one of my greatest battles. Pretty much the whole army performed admirably but the real stars were the Pontic Heavy Cavalry. I wasn't expecting much from them but by God did they deliver.

PONTUS IS OURS ONCE MORE MY FRIENDS! NOW WE ONLY NEED TO SURVIVE EIGHTEEN MORE TURNS BEFORE SOMEONE MORE CAPABLE TAKES CONTROL!

TO BE CONTINUED...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:13:17 PM by Phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

comrade_general

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
Excellent PG!! Well worth the wait I say. :)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
Thanks CG. The rest of tonight's write-up. No more screens because nothing really important happened but here it is.

After the great battle (self-puffery for the win :D ) we leave them with no time to recover, Dionysos storms towards Mazaka while Spartocus attempts to run down the cowardly Ptolemaic family member.

238 BC and Pharnaces' wife Pythadoras dies. Poor thing. At least she's with her brave husband, frolicking on the fields of Elysium... What was the Pontic religion anyway? Would it have been more Perisan than Greek?

Dionysos besieges Mazaka while Spartocus attacks and kills the Ptolemaic family member. During the battle however a tactical error on my part sees a disproportionate amount of men die. The force falls back to Ancyra rather than continue on to attack Tarsus.

Finally the rioting in Pergamom ceases as a new governing centre is installed. Trade rights are also established with the Scythians.

Mazaka is taken with little difficulty and heaps of peasants are set to be trained in Nicomedia to be disbanded elsewhere in our Empire to give the struggling Nicomedian infrastructure a chance to recover.

237 BC and a new governing centre is established in Nicomedia, quietening them for a while. Similar operations are being carried out in Sinope while the military is regularised everywhere else. Basically just trying to sort out garrisons.

That's where I called it a night. Tomorrow should see the end of my turn.

I'm really sorry again, especially CG. I just hope that this is enough to demonstrate the depths of my remorse. I have neglected you all. :(
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

comrade_general

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
I'm just glad to have you back. :)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
Hey again.

236 BC sees a nasty load of Aigyptians at Mazaka. Within Mazaka resides Dionysos but unfortunately all his heavy cavalry is in Sinope being retrained. The plan is to have the Ptolemaic armies attack and then lift the siege with the returning horsemen.

Spartocus leads a group of men who would be good to have retrained towards Nicomedia. Along the way, they decide to attack the rebel Galatian forces just outside Ancyra. The enemy has four Tindanotae bands (Naked Fanatics) and another band of cavalry. Spartocus doesn't believe the fight will be that difficult.

The battle went well...ish. The exception? The chariots, who routed before they even made contact with the enemy cavalry. I know Tindanotae are supposed to be scary but I did not expect the chariots to run away before they even made contact. After that though, the battle went well.

Well Laodice is betrothed and I said yes. Mazaka is also besieged and the cavalry in Sinope is ready to ride to the rescue.

235 BC Ancyra and Nicomedia have new governing centres constructed while a shrine to Zeus is erected in Pergamum. Ancyra though is also besieged and the Egyptians won't leave Mazaka alone like I hoped they would. Oh well, here comes the cavalry.

The enemy lines up....
... and flee the battle almost immediately. Bloody Aigyptian cowards.

Don't suppose it has anything to do with this...

After such a disappointing wet blanket of a battle, the cavalry force joined by Rhescuporis ride to relieve the capital.

A new governing centre is built in Sinope while Rhescuporis lifts the siege of Ancyra.

The battle begins with Rhescuporis thinking that this was a bad idea.

Rhescuporis: portugaling chariots!

With great difficulty, somehow, Rhescuporis actually manages to kill or run off the Aigyptian chariots, however at a terrible loss of life among his brave cavalry. They then make a break towards the King's weak men from within Ancyra.

Rhescuporis: TO SPARTOCUS!
Spartocus: I'M SPARTOCUS! (I couldn't resist mate. :P )

234 BC and Germania has been destroyed. From what I can tell the Selucid Empire is probably not far behind. My guess is that Britannia has invaded continental Europe from the north and their chariots are as telling in auto-resolve as the Aigyptian ones are.
233 BC and I'm laughing. The Aigyptians came to us with an insulting prospect, that of becoming a client state. Laughing I responded that we would for the sum of 40000 denarii, thinking they would refuse out of hand. Instead they offered 1750. I laughed and unthinkingly haggled with them, thinking they would not pay over 5000 denarii. I was wrong. We are now a client state of Egypt but on the plus side, we got 10000 denarii out of them. :P

Egypt immediately breaks the alliance and besieges Sardis. Sardis also expands. Rhoemetalces, the Pontic Heir in Ancyra dies of natural causes, a loss that will surely be missed.

232 BC and we have an alliance with Parthia.  There are two huge Ptolemaic stacks near Ancyra but at least one appears to be headed for Nicomedia. Sardis is still under siege. On the plus side, we are on a war footing and men are being raised all over the countryside.

That's where I left it for now because I need to go to tennis soon enough and I wanted to get the pics up for you all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:51:23 AM by Phoenixguard09 »
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
Hi all, I'm back again.

It's 232 BC and Ancyra and Sardis are both under siege. The Sardisians(?) sally out in an attempt to break through the Aigyptian pickets.

231 BC and Ancyra is still besieged.

Rhescuporis leads his cavalry in an attempt to free Ancyra. Spartocus arrives, even in the middle of a sandstorm.

The sandstorm clears up, a load of Aigyptians die, unfortunately so do a heap of Pontics and in the withdrawal, the cavalry decides its a good idea to withdraw through the enemy... chariots...

THE KING IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE KING!

Unfortunately, while Spartocus was a bit of a dunce, all of that cavalry is now gone too. And I think we may have just lost Ancyra.
Never mind, Ancyra is retained although probably not for long as there are two mauled Aigyptian armies besieging it and there's less than sixty men holding the walls.

Rhescuporis' cavalry army has been reduced to his retinue and a single unit along with some celtic mercenaries he was able to hire.

Aigypt breaks the siege of Ancyra to try to take out Rhescuporis, the man responsible for a string of their recent defeats while he is weak. With no "movement points:-

Rhescuporis: Movement points? What the hell is a movement point?

Right, sorry. He's tired. Anyway he can't withdraw and so is brought to a horribly lopsided battle.

With great skill Rhescuporis takes on the Aigyptian host, killing many of them before escaping back into Ancyra, buying the settlement precious time. He then makes his move back to Nicomedia, to retrain troops to help drive the Ptolemaic forces back to their own lands.

The summer of 230 BC arrives and with it, the relinquishing of my power. The horribly mauled Aigyptian army has retreated while the relatively intact one has remained near Ancyra.

Good luck NightAngel.

Save is here NA.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:09:23 PM by Phoenixguard09 »
(\__/)

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
I may require such luck.

Twenty turns right?
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
Yep, your turn ends at 220 BC. ;)

And yeah, luck is probably a good thing to have on your side in this situation. :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:28:31 AM by Phoenixguard09 »
(\__/)