Author Topic: Tales of Middle-Earth  (Read 2717 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tales of Middle-Earth
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Has anyone played this? It's an ancient RPG of the "roguelike" school. It's nigh impossible to play, has lots of weird easter eggs, and I've never got beyond the first dungeon.

I cannot recommend it enough - I can upload the old copy I've got for people to DL if they want, it's in the public domain.

I'm tempted to start blogging the weird armadillo that happens to all my characters, it gets pretty funny.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tales of Middle-Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Update #1, the story of Isambard Ogredom Brunogre

This was my most recent character, a half-ogre.

I started with chainmail and a flail, bought some supplies, then went to the first dungeon.

I got swiftly killed by a newt.

That is all.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:43:05 PM »
Have just gone through four kobold archers, none of whom got past first level.

The most recent of them, Pi'tamki, was given - as a first level quest on the first dungeon - "infestation of cave orcs". Cave orcs are seventh level. Pi'tamki was first level. Pi'tamki did not last long. :(

EDIT: Pi'tamki's successor, Pi'jukki, was killed by a crow having not gained any XP whatsoever. The quest for a semi-successful kobold continues...

EDIT [18:51]: Pi'viski is kobold #6. So far, successfully killed a fruit bat and an insect swarm.

EDIT [18:53]: Pi'viski successfully shot several giant mice, but then rapidly died upon reading a scroll of Summon Monsters.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:54:19 PM by Jubal »

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
Doesn't sound like Middle-Earth at all Jub. Is it intentional or just poorly researched?
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
Intentional. It's not really meant to evoke middle-earth at all, it has a loose basis but it's more just a very silly (and very funny) fantasy RPG.  :)