Author Topic: Can't Start Mod  (Read 16398 times)

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
Downloaded fine, but when i try to start the mod it brings me back to my desktop.
Help please, i really want to play this great-looking mod!

comrade_general

Can't Start Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
I will try to help on behalf of Jubal.

After downloading did you run the installer and point it to your base Rome - Total War folder?

This is located at either

C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War

or

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

Once you've run the installer, or already have, I want you to navigate to your Rome - Total War folder and make sure there is a folder named WHTW in it. If it's not then you pointed the installer in the wrong direction, so try running it again making sure to direct it to your Rome - Total War folder.

Once you get the WHTW folder inside the Rome - Total War folder, or it is already there, go back to your desktop and right click on the shortcut that the installer creates and click on properties. Click on the shortcut tab and look at the target line. Make sure the target is also pointed to your Rome - Total War folder and has at least this after the quotes: -mod:WHTW

I hope this helps, and welcome to Exilian!  :flashy:

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
Will do, thx for your help!

I've got the WHTW folder in the correct place, and my shortcut line reads: "C:ProgramFiles\TheCreativeAssembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:WHTW
The mod still will not start... am i doing anything wrong?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:25:15 PM by Mendicant032 »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of your Rome - Total War folder and the subfolders and stuff? Sometime I think people end up with it on the wrong level or ad an extra level in...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
Sorry it took so long to respond, my internet was down for a few hours (yay comcast)!
Could the reason i cant run your mod be because i have another mod for rome installed?

Also how do i take a screenshot of a window? Bear with me, im not a computer whiz lol

comrade_general

Can't Start Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:28 AM »
Quote from: "Mendicant032"
Sorry it took so long to respond, my internet was down for a few hours (yay comcast)!
Could the reason i cant run your mod be because i have another mod for rome installed?

Also how do i take a screenshot of a window? Bear with me, im not a computer whiz lol
As long as the other mod didn't change any part of the original game files (i.e. it is modfoldered like Warhammer) then it should be fine.

To take a screenshot simply press the 'Prt Scr' button on your keyboard with what you intend to take a screenshot of on your desktop, then open an image editing program (like Paint) and click paste, then save the picture (preferably as a .jpg). You then need to either upload it to an image hosting site (like Photobucket) most of which require an account, or simply attach the picture while posting in this thread. When you select reply there is a bar called 'Attachments' where you can browse for the picture to attach it.

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »
Heres my Rome-Total War Folder
Anything u guys can see thats wrong?  

Thx for taking the time 2 help me by the way  :D

Attachments:

comrade_general

Can't Start Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »
It looks ok to me, the WHTW folder is in the right place and all. Is your game patched to 1.5? Are you sure nothing in the original files has been changed?

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:39 AM »
Yes i've patched to 1.5...
I'll try uninstalling RTW altogether, reinstalling and re-patching but other than that i dont know what else to do...

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:46:11 AM »
Woops double post!  :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:46:53 AM by Mendicant032 »

comrade_general

Can't Start Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "Mendicant032"
Yes i've patched to 1.5...
I'll try uninstalling RTW altogether, reinstalling and re-patching but other than that i dont know what else to do...
That's what I was going to suggest.  ;)

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Arrgh! Uninstalled and reinstalled RTW, patched to 1.5 and downloaded the mod and it still refuses to work!
I saw a guest in the "Release" thread who had the same problem as me, did he ever get the mod to work?

p.s i have vista and ive noticed a few mods that only work on xp, do u guys know is this mod is vista-compatible?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
I made the damn thing on Vista, so it should work....

Can I see shots of your shortcut properties, and inside your WHTW folder?

Thanks,

Jubal
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Mendicant032

• View Profile
    • Awards
Can't Start Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »
Heres the shortcut properties, the exact command line is at the top of the picture

Attachments:

comrade_general

Can't Start Mod
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »
Add -show_err after -mod:WHTW and see if that gives you anything.