Forum Games - The Beer Cellar! / Re: Word Association
« Last post by Jubal on May 23, 2024, 09:47:20 PM »
Syrup
« Last post by Tusky on May 23, 2024, 09:15:14 PM »
Corn
Discussion and Debate - The Philosopher's Plaza / Re: UK Politics 2024
« Last post by Jubal on May 23, 2024, 12:34:08 PM »
I was surprised too - I was certainly expecting later in the year. I wonder if this is a doctrine on Sunak's part of of "good politicians make surprise moves that outwit their enemies. This is a surprise move, therefore it will outwit my enemies, because I am a good politician." Or possibly he's got a job offer in California and they want him to start in August.

Honestly it feels like the most vapid campaign start I can remember from all sides. I'm by any reasonable standards an enormous politics nerd and I really don't know what the opposition is offering except "change" or what the incumbents are claiming they've achieved. I don't even know what my own party is promising that's meaningful and distinct. The whole thing feels like a weird vacuum where everyone is going "eh, it's the other lot's turn now I guess".

Is that just a me thing watching from abroad and people back in the UK are more fired up for this/have I just become disconnected from what's going on at home? Genuinely interested for thoughts from those back on the ground.
« Last post by Jubal on May 23, 2024, 12:12:23 PM »
children
« Last post by Glaurung on May 23, 2024, 10:12:24 AM »
railway
Discussion and Debate - The Philosopher's Plaza / Re: UK Politics 2024
« Last post by Glaurung on May 23, 2024, 09:12:31 AM »
Yesterday afternoon, Rishi Sunak announced the date of the general election: 4 July. This appears to have taken a lot of people by surprise, including a large fraction of his own party - e.g. there are about 150 constituencies that have not selected a Conservative candidate yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10