Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 872 times)

maciek

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hello there!
« on: December 05, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »
Hi all,

I have been recently introduced to this community at Mastodon. I am a hobbyist game dev trying to build small and simple games at my free time. I've recently created a short roguelike game (that's how I learned about the forums :) - which I will probably introduce in a game dev section here soon :]

I am very pleased to see that the community also cares about history as I am bit geeky about ancient and medieval architecture. (One of my goals is to release one day a game based on that, but cannot find an interesting mechanics so far ;)

Thanks for the invite!

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 10:22:36 PM »
Hi there! Welcome to Exilian - please do look around the forums, and feel free to comment on anything you find interesting.

I had an idea for a possible architecture game, but I've no idea how practical or interesting it might be. It's a single player game: the player is a Master Mason (in modern terms, the architect or engineer) building a medieval cathedral. They have to manage the various supplies - stone, wood, etc. - to build the different parts of the cathedral, along with the workforce doing the construction. All this takes money, of course, and they need to keep sweet-talking the church authorities and wealthy citizens to pay for the work. If the funds run too low, work stops, and all the workers leave - then when more donations come in, it costs more to hire a new bunch of workers. Also, you can have random disruptions: part of the building collapses, or there's a famine or plague affecting the city. How does that sound?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 11:51:49 PM »
Welcome welcome! As Glaurung saids, make yourself at home, feel free to ask any questions, etc :)

On the masonry point, Tony Masinton is the name that springs to mind on that area, he's done a lot of building-block work on reconstructions of church architecture and he gave a talk at a workshop I/we ran a few years back. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeU4fKk9KI) Also if in general you'd like to nose into more medievalisms/game dev stuff, applications are still open for joining the next workshop in that series, details for that are all here. I'm a medieval historian by profession myself and a hobbyist game developer so it's a combination I probably think about more than is wholly normal.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

maciek

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »
Hi,

@Glaurung
cathedral construction management seems indeed super-interesting. Probably in a full scope might be a game too big for solo development, but surely it can be distilled into simpler ruleset. (I often try to do games that almost could be board games as well :) So thanks for this idea, it made me thinking :)
I actually once started a masonry game prototype, but it was more about load-bearing problems - so something completely different. (sorry for the Twitter links but I think those gifs exist only there nowadays, and downloading is blocked):
https://twitter.com/maciek_glowka/status/1311424289229475841
https://twitter.com/maciek_glowka/status/1309973538254839809
I used to be an architect - hence this kind of structural approach ;)

@Jubal
Thanks, the event looks up my alley :) I will take a look at the details later!

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 04:41:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Always nice to have a new member get involved in our geekery!