Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 100055 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2023, 12:51:39 PM »
Ooh, those are both good calls. I've never actually read a proper translation of Hereward, but that's a story I very much grew up with abridged versions of (and probably contributed to my weird fenlandy sense of personal identity). That should definitely be on my list anyhow.

I've got some heavy by weight but probably not by content fantasy novels sitting around, I feel like I'd like something lighter or at least shorter after Babel so that might be next port of call. Other options include some Poirot as I've not read any and a friend lent me an omnibus a while back, and various classic or modern novels I've not started on... we'll see.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2023, 10:52:57 PM »
Another book read: Waterland, by Graham Swift. The book is set between 1970s/80s London and the wartime fens of East Anglia, so going on the aforementioned personal fenland theme. It has a sort of feel of influence from magical realism type genres, and does an interesting sort of capture of a certain sort of fenland spirit - though it's also interesting what it doesn't capture, especially about the fens as a biome (Swift being self-consciously not a native to the region). I fellt the reflections on the fens were better than the depictions of the fens, I guess, though both are very well done. It's a difficult book in places - even the narrator makes himself quite unsympathetic at times - but very well written. I think the real heart of the book is as a set of reflections on history and how we see it and its impacts, with the fens sort of acting as much as anything else as a metaphor for a cyclical, phlegmatic, getting-on-with-life view as compared to the drumbeat of Progress that, if it has drained them for now, will never attain a final victory. They're interesting strands of thought, and I appreciated that aspect a lot as a historian myself. Generally a would-recommend, though it's very much about reflection and memory more than about emotional beats and tight plot writing: if that works for you though (and it did for me) it's a good read.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2023, 04:16:19 PM »
Bringing this year's fiction book total to, uh, three, is Greek Myths by Charlotte Higgins. It's a retelling of Greek myths, and mostly a very good one. The idea of weaving and images in cloth being a form of story transmission primarily done by women is used quite interestingly as a framing narrative, with each of the chapters focusing on a single character weaving and then containing a set of other stories that they produce with some interconnected themes around their own core plot (Athene weaves the Titanomachy, Arachne the crimes of the gods, Penelope the homecomings from Troy, and so on).

The writing is good and the framing system is compelling, I'd generally very much recommend it. The very ending (Penelope gets the last chapter) I think didn't feel like the strongest moment, it's a clever ending turn but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In any case I enjoyed this a lot, its inclusion of lots of more minor/less widely known myths was something I thought was really good, and the author has the storyteller's touch which I think one really needs when re-telling mythologies. Generally strong recommendation.

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2023, 03:25:41 PM »
I have read a fair number of books this year, in my usual way of reading everything I can get my hands on for two weeks and then not reading anything for months at a time....

I am currently about 3/5 of the way through The Shadow Rising in the wheel of time series, which I am still greatly enjoying. I do occasionally have to crosscheck names as it's getting to the stage where there are A Lot of characters to follow, as is common for this way of telling a fantasy story. But overall I find a lot of the themes very interesting.

I would seriously recommend Unraveller to anyone who hasn't read it, it has excellent Fae Vibes and does a fantastic job (in my opinion) of creating a world where the creatures, and to an extent the world itself, manage to feel alien and Fae without making them Just Evil by human standards. It also has a very VERY interesting main concept that involves people having the capacity to Curse others if they hate them enough...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2023, 04:30:48 PM »
Book four! Only halfway to where I planned to be by this point in the year!

But oh well, four was a very good one indeed, in the form of Books and Bone by Veo Corva (vicorva, of this parish). I've been in the same online circles as Veo for some years now and consider them a friend (hopefully mutually!), but until now and despite having sat through many hours of them streaming Roadwarden and Thief and Outer Wilds and Frog Detective and suchlike I'd never actually read any of their books before, so I got the two Tombtown books to date via the kickstarter for book two. Said kickstarter went well, and in case anyone has any doubts about getting self-published books still in this year of 2023, it's a good example of why you shouldn't: the book itself is really good quality, the cover art is lovely, I didn't have any more copy-editing twitches than I would have done in the average publishing-house published book.

Contemplating reading a book written by a friend is an odd experience in that I worry what I'll say about it if I didn't actually end up liking it, but in this case this was very much not a problem I was confronted with because I absolutely loved Books and Bone. It's about my ideal reasonably light read: it's very well written indeed, and has really neatly written characters with quite pacy dialogue. It has enough bits of real threat and meditations on power to keep things interesting whilst also having plenty of very sweet or more homely elements which. Given the pitch it could easily have gone either too saccharine and cutesified the necromancy too much, or have amped up the darker side too much and made their homeliness feel hollow: it manages to strike the balance really well in my view.

If I missed anything, it was one of Ree (the main character)'s maps: the book is probably actually better without them because it allows for a lot more playing with the sense of space, but at the same time part of my brain really wanted to actually unfold a map and be able to follow those trails around the tombs. (Thoughts: tomb maps must be complex because tombs can be three dimensional, also I wonder if I could write yet another hack of my Hetairos game system for exploring catacombs as a bunch of Necromancers.) Also as someone who has genuinely often idly wondered about what I could ask my research subjects if I could bring them back from the dead, this book offers some useful cautionary tales and whilst I don't think I have the personality traits of the second-to-lead character, we share about enough backstory for seeing an awkward half-mirror of oneself on occasion.

I got through the whole thing in an afternoon easily, which was nice, I often worry I've lost the reading speed I used to have when I was younger but it does click back if confronted with the right book, and this was very much the right book. Not sure if I'll run right to book 2 or read something else in between: I'd like to get through one or two more books in the near future if I can make my brain do it, anyhow.

EDIT: Also read The Girl Who Fell Beneath The Sea by Axie Oh. Another solid recommendation, it's very much folkloric-romance, possibly slight YA vibes but only really because of the age of the characters and the romantic core of the plot, both of which are AFAICT pretty central to the original folklore in any case. It's based on Korean folklore and has a lot of stuff with death and spirits and dragons, with the initial plot point being that it's about a girl who takes someone else's place in being sacrificed to the Sea God and then has to unravel a century or so of problems in the spirit realm by going around asking awkward questions and loving everything too much. It definitely made me want to read up on more folk tales from that part of the world. The book has some very firm emotional hits not all of which I was expecting even if retrospectively I should've worked them out. I think it does an exceptionally good job of doing a more modern, full-bodied novel plot without sacrificing the fundamental feel of a folk tale, which is a rare authorial skill and one I appreciated immensely: we can both emotionally connect to the characters and have them exist in the slightly otherworld space of folk stories. I enjoyed it a lot, anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:39:49 AM by Jubal »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
I read Time of Contempt, the second book in the main "run" of Witcher novels. It's fine, overall? It continues the usual themes, and has the usual problems. There's occasional moments where Sapkowski writes some really good bits of humanity or character observation, though he then frequently ruins them with his really rather bad writing of women in particular. His use of sexual violence as a very casual "hey look it's a Depressing Settingtm" does kind of grate on me, not that I think that's a topic one can't handle in fantasy novels, I just think he specifically uses it in quite a shallow way.

On more positive sides, I think ToC is a bit interesting in how it lays out the framework for what Witcher-verse politics is like, though what it's like includes an odd mix of things. Some are much more grounded than, say, a Tolkien war (where we'd never have seen so much discussion of precise terms of looting etc), and things that are much more skullduggery focused (Djikstra being one of the key characters, the way the Scoi'atel are used by Nilfgaard). On the other hand, the way that Witcherverse countries can just seemingly roll into a fairly well developed medieval/early modern state with a standing army and turn it into a province of some other realm with surprisingly little effort feels weird. I'm not sure what the best historical equivalent is - possibly the Mongols or something. Another way to put it is that states in Sapkowski's work seem to solely function in a material way, which is especially odd in a book series in which folklore, superstitions, etc are so narratively key. There doesn't seem to be a difference between a town in Kaedwen or one in Temeria or one in Kovir beyond their location and who happens to be ruling them: there's less cultural specificity to the different parts of the world Geralt traipses round than there is in the average Total War game. That's kind of interesting! I think for me it's what gives Witcher politics a very different feel to that of other fantasy writers, the fantasy world is out there but Sapkowski's political world is at least to my eyes wildly more materially focused than our own.

EDIT: Now also read the following book, Baptism of Fire. BoF I enjoyed more than ToC: I think in generaly Sapkowski spent less of it writing the characters he can't write very well, though some of the plot turns are a bit weird regarding women in particular. Also some bits of framing narrative were weird (the storyteller talking apparently post-all-the-stories who turned up nowhere before, and Geralt's rather odd thought framing of the last chapter). That said, we got a lot more fun with Geralt having a crew and travelling with them, even if his sulkiness and people repeatedly giving him more or less the same eminently sensible advice gets a bit belaboured. The characters in Geralt's party tend to contrast well, and the addition of Regis was very worth reading this book for, he's definitely one of the more interesting characters of the set and it was nice to see him turn up in the books after meeting his much later self in the last of the Witcher 3 DLCs. The bits with Ciri felt a bit messy and weak by comparison: Sapkowski very much sees the world through the eyes of some characters and struggles to portray others as fully three dimensional people, and for such a core character as Ciri that feels a bit of an issue, her feelings are governed by the overarching sense of plot rather than seeming like they affect what's going on around her. Conversely Geralt's party get well set up, and the sense that they're in the heart of a set of political machinations they're trying to duck between is very much a Witcherverse thing (as opposed to being inexorably drawn to pick sides, as Martin would have it, or the more conventional fantasy where we wouldn't cheer a neutral party).

That makes it seven books, my original hope for 2023 was to get to a book a month so I'm one book off being back to par with that plan...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 10:30:13 PM by Jubal »

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2023, 01:08:18 PM »
I just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin. I think this might be my favorite of hers. It is hard. They are all so good in different ways. But this is a veritable masterpiece. Her depiction of Anarres is very grounded. We get so many dystopias in contemporary fiction that I think part of me was waiting for the other shoe to drop, for this anarchist utopia to have some fatal flaw. But rather it was just human. Believable. Nuanced. The way she describes it you can grow attached to it, and even almost nostalgic for this place that does not and has never even existed. But just might, one day. That's really something.

I am currently reading Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb. I once read the Assassin's trilogy,  as well as the Live Ship trilogy, way back when they came out a few decades ago. It's been enjoyable to return to this world and Hobb's style of writing. Given the pressure in the industry is now to have a first sentence that grabs the reader, and a first page that grabs the reader, and a first chapter that grabs the reader, and so on, Hobb's style is refreshing in how measured it is in pace. Just as an example... The first 200 pages of this book is just the main character (15 years after the events of the Assassins's trilogy) living in a hut with an adopted kid, with various people from his past life coming to visit. We have pages upon pages of descriptions of meals, drinking, talking, arguing, gardening, hunting, etc. After 50 pages I thought, surely, we would start to get moving soon. Then 100. At 150 pages I was starting to chuckle. At 200 pages I thought I'd be OK if that was just the whole book, as it was fairly enjoyable. But we finally got moving.

Otherwise, my bedside stack is currently...
  • The Joyful Science. I do not like the first half at all. Nietzsche picks up in the second half when the works gains some focus (bit of a prologue to Thus Spoke Zarathustra).
  • An old biography / overview of Confucius.
  • Complete Works of Plato. I needed to re-read the Symposium for a class I'm tutoring this semester, and it got me itching to revisit Plato's dialogues. I've long had the complete works and I thought I might start a habit of reading a little each day. Still been putting it off in favor of SFF. Hah.
  • Children of Dune - I am struggling to pick this back up. I enjoyed Dune I. But Dune II was much harder for me to appreciate. It wants to be a work of literary fiction. To explore complex themes and not just tell some entertaining story. But I'm not sure that the themes Herbert is interested in are fully coherent, or ultimately that worthwhile. I am not sure.
  • Magic in the Middle Ages - Kieckhefer. I've started this one to help me come to grips more with magic in Innkeep's world. I've put it down but want to get back into it.
Developing a game called Innkeep! Serve Ale. Be jolly. Rob your guests. https://innkeepgame.com/

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2023, 01:28:28 PM »
I am currently about 3/5 of the way through The Shadow Rising in the wheel of time series, which I am still greatly enjoying. I do occasionally have to crosscheck names as it's getting to the stage where there are A Lot of characters to follow, as is common for this way of telling a fantasy story. But overall I find a lot of the themes very interesting.
Oh neat! Was the new show on Prime what got you into reading it? Or was it always on your list to try?

I've sometimes thought of revisiting the series one day. But I feel there's so much else out there I should be reading as well.
Developing a game called Innkeep! Serve Ale. Be jolly. Rob your guests. https://innkeepgame.com/

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2023, 04:10:40 PM »
Oh neat! Was the new show on Prime what got you into reading it? Or was it always on your list to try?

I had always been aware of the series but never actually got around to reading it. I watched the first season of the show and thought it was so appalling, I had to read the book to see if it was yet another example of dreadful book to screen conversion (it is). I actually deeply enjoy the books and the themes and ideas that they explore.

I have had a spate of reading lately, and have managed to get further in the various series I'm reading (I now need the next books in the Witcher, Wheel of Time, The Drowning Empire), start a new one (The Last Kingdom) and read some excellent standalone novels. I finished Pandora by Susan Stokes-Chapman yesterday, which I thought was excellent, and am now about a third of the way through Ithaca by Claire North. The Greek mythology theme is going strong, although unexpectedly, Pandora is actually set in Georgian London.

I have so many 'to be read' books and keep adding to the list, as seems inevitable!

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
I had always been aware of the series but never actually got around to reading it. I watched the first season of the show and thought it was so appalling, I had to read the book to see if it was yet another example of dreadful book to screen conversion (it is). I actually deeply enjoy the books and the themes and ideas that they explore.

Yeah there sure were a lot of misteps with the writing and editing. It can't all be blamed on covid and losing the actor for Mat at the end. Still, I think part of it was possibly amazon exec interference, and not giving them 10 episodes. I'm not going to write Rafe Judkins and his team of just yet. Let's see if they learnt their lessons for season 2. I'm cautiously optimistic it will hit more at a 7/10 for me, while season 1 was a weak 6/10 overall.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:29:39 AM by BeerDrinkingBurke »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2023, 11:27:26 AM »
More books!

I read The Third Man And Other Stories, a book of short stories by Graham Greene: I'd never read or seen The Third Man despite it being one of the most famous works relating to the city I live in, so I thought I'd give it a go. And it's fine! It's a pretty good little murder story set in a grim part of post-war Viennese history, the core concept is clever and it's well executed. I don't think it's going to make a long term major impression on my brain by I'm glad I read it.

The other short stories are a mixed bag, mostly slice-of-life. Possibly my favourites were A Shocking Accident, about a man whose father died in an absurd accident and his need to have people see it the way he did, and Awful When You Think About It, which is about imagining who babies will grow up to be (albeit Greene, being himself, imagines the baby growing up to join his club as another chap). In general I think they interested me more as period pieces for anything they were directly trying to say: interesting little windows on a time when white middle class men could sit in southern France writing words professionally and somehow string that together along with some family money, in a way that I don't think the modern world allows for (both because the demands on writers are that much greater, and because now everyone has more writing access and the middle class men don't have the same total dominance of literature by virtue of having been born English). Perhaps the world is still more like that than I think, but it definitely feels an old fashioned sort of outlook on the world.

Then, yesterday, I read The Beautiful Decay, the second Tombtown book by vicorva. I liked it a lot! The core concept of necromancers threatened by fungi is excellent, and managed to make for an interesting from-another-place villain in the way that it was working out how to adapt to the world as it went, which is something that often isn't played with a lot. It's common in fiction to see e.g. humans adapting to a dangerous alien, but less common to see aliens adapting to the humans. If anything that would've been interesting to have leaned into more in places, as the creature's curiosity is pretty plot-essential to why a lot of characters don't just get flat-out murdered. This is also a really classy feature for dealing with something that's often a plot hole: with a more regular villain the fact that half the characters don't just get executed and can keep coming back and having a crack at the villain would make little sense, but I think having that element of the villain having a concept of world domination and rulership without necessarily having a concept of what the world is like or what strategy makes any sense is really interesting and I liked it a lot.

It's interesting looking at the differences to book one. TBD definitely has a different feel to it, partly because the characters are older and have been through more, but also because the setting feels like it's actually warmer at heart than in book one despite the higher levels of trauma some characters have been through. For one thing, it's much more explicit about its LGBT-ness and neurodiverse-ness than book one, and that also seems to come into the world-building more: we get the sense that this is a setting where being trans or indeed various other identities are much more common at least in Tombtown and possibly in the world more generally than in our own. Secondly, whilst there's a lot in the book about learning to trust people again, there aren't many enormous issues that turn up with them doing that, it just takes time. There's less of a sense of people being threats to each other, with Tombtown itself being, I guess, more subdued in this book and the threat feeling more external: the problems the characters face are ones about trust and powerlessness, and reflecting on their wider societies (and fungi), but the general viewpoints on human nature more directly are really quite cosy.

The new paladin characters are interesting in part because they absolutely 100 percent fit into the more general Tombtown LGBT characters block and are basically good folk who take their callings seriously and don't stab before asking questions. I'd be interested to see that tension explored more in some future stories between Persephone's paladin-as-wandering-helper attitude and the paladin-cop much feared by Tombtown denizens and chaotic aligned adventuring colleagues everywhere.

There are also a lot of intensely relatable moments: Usther fretting about not having her cat and her minion in sight so she could look after them really, really hit home somehow. I liked having Usther in there a lot as a main character alongside Ree. There's bits of lots of the major characters that I do or don't empathise with, and I like seeing Tombtown from more different perspectives. Anyway, it was a good sequel and I hope more of the series appears someday, I'd be interested to see some short stories giving some more regular views on the setting.

I've never read The Dispossessed, but really should do, I love le Guin though I should read more of her work. Also never read the Wheel of Time, though it is famously long and I don't know when my personal Wheel of Time will revolve to a point where I have that sort of space...

psyanojim

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2023, 01:34:21 PM »
Just finished re-reading Peter Hamiltons 'Pandoras Star' and 'Judas Unchained', and remembering why he is one of my favourite sci-fi authors.

Curiously enough, Ursula Le Guins 'The Dispossessed' is sitting on my desk right next to me, in my queue of books to read or re-read.

Next in the queue is, somewhat randomly, Evelyn Waughs 'Brideshead Revisited'. I'm also about 2/3rds of the way through 'Moby Dick'.

Edit: on that note, I just rewatched a couple of minutes of the 'Brideshead Revisited' TV series from the 1980s. Jeremy Irons narrating Evelyn Waugh really is a match made in heaven. I find the languid, almost lazy pace at which he rambles through subjects like art, religion, history, poetry, beauty and philosophy to be utterly captivating.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:49:40 PM by psyanojim »

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2023, 03:31:20 AM »
I read The Third Man And Other Stories, a book of short stories by Graham Greene: I'd never read or seen The Third Man despite it being one of the most famous works relating to the city I live in, so I thought I'd give it a go. And it's fine! It's a pretty good little murder story set in a grim part of post-war Viennese history, the core concept is clever and it's well executed. I don't think it's going to make a long term major impression on my brain by I'm glad I read it.
I was not even aware that it was a book! I should have guessed. Truly an excellent film though.
I've never read The Dispossessed, but really should do, I love le Guin though I should read more of her work. Also never read the Wheel of Time, though it is famously long and I don't know when my personal Wheel of Time will revolve to a point where I have that sort of space...
I can only recommend it in the strongest terms. Alongside The Left Hand of Darkness.

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2023, 03:31:46 AM »
Curiously enough, Ursula Le Guins 'The Dispossessed' is sitting on my desk right next to me, in my queue of books to read or re-read.
Enjoy!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2023, 11:30:19 PM »
I read Insects Are Just Like You And Me Except Some Of Them Have Wings by Kuzhali Manickavel. It's a short story collection, and it's pretty weird, but I also felt I got a lot out of reading it despite and indeed because of that. Manickavel's writing feels like it has the sort of fantastical trauma response that often appears in magical realism deeply embedded in it, that sense of dreaming and foresight and a twisting of small magics and small deaths in ways that are remarkably uncommon in what one might consider fantasy per se. Unlike magical realism, however, Manickavel's short stories largely follow individual more than societal scales of issue. It is not the world being torn apart that dominates her little vignettes and tales, but the sense of seeing a world where you yourself already have a torn and tattered self to face it with. The presence of diagrams with titles like "Childhood mythology represented as a male earwig with wing extended" worked well for me - it kind of doubled down on the absurdity, but with a certain scientism that gave it a bit of an edge. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something a bit different to have a go at.