« Last post by Rob_Haines on Today at 02:47:16 PM »
Stone
Forum Games - The Beer Cellar! / Re: Word Association
« Last post by Jubal on Today at 02:04:00 PM »
Cap
« Last post by Tusky on Today at 07:44:49 AM »
Lens
Not sure this is a yay so it's not fetting into that thread, but it's fascinating: BBC article today on how New York City's wildlife is mutating and changing due to its urban isolation and changed diet.

I think the bit that most fascinated me was the mention of this paper, which suggests that the NYC population of white-footed mice is getting long term evolutionary change to their digestion to better cope with higher fat and sugar intake in their diets, as a result of them eating far more human-food leftovers. I don't think I'd realised that this sort of change was big enough in mammals to be measurable over the sort of span of time that New York has been urbanised.
Active Legislation / Re: MOTION: AI Content Policy PASSED 5-0-1
« Last post by Jubal on May 31, 2024, 04:26:48 PM »
This motion has been amended by a separate motion of the Plaza, carried six votes to zero with two abstentions, which contained the following additions:

a) An addition to section 1, "The plaza recognises" as follows:
1.7 That generative AI is being marketed as a potential solution to many challenges in creative projects, and in certain cases creators may adopt and use it without fully understanding its operation or associated problems.

b) A modification to 3.5:
The substitution of the word “clearly” with “are known to”.

c) An extra clause:
3.8 That 3.5 can be waived for projects which have used AI generated content in the past but have since removed or replaced it. These may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

d) Another extra clause:
3.11 Exilian shall not publicly encourage or signpost users to generative AI which does not meet the stipulations in 3.7 as a solution to ongoing challenges in their projects, and shall endeavour to improve support and accessibility for alternative sources of creative material.

A copy of the rules before the amending motion was carried can be found in spoiler tags below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, it looks pretty clear that the ANC has lost its parliamentary majority in South Africa for almost the first time in my lifetime (the first democratic election was about two months after I was born so technically the National Party still had its "majority" of the Apartheid white electorate at that point). The biggest shift seems to be that the new MK party of former president Jacob Zuma topped the vote in KwaZulu-Natal, almost entirely at the ANC's expense, and thus coming third in the election and knocking the ANC's vote from the mid fifties to mid forties percent.

I don't get the impression that an anti-ANC coalition is possible: the EFF and MK are far further from the DA than the ANC is from either. If there's a formal agreement my tentative expectation would be that the DA and ANC will form a grand coalition or at least a supply and confidence deal. The ANC, on the basis of these results, don't need to feel too threatened by the DA who haven't really pushed forward out of their heartland (and their white/mixed-race voter demographic). The ANC would need fewer policy concessions to deal with the MKs but there's probably too much personal bad blood there, and the EFF are probably too radical and are also a mistrusted ANC offshoot.
General Chatter - The Boozer / Re: Going to be Away?
« Last post by Jubal on May 31, 2024, 02:09:17 PM »
Ah, excellent :)

I'm meanwhile going to be away from Sunday onwards: I'll be in the UK for my sister's wedding the following weekend, and then returning to Vienna on the 12th.
« Last post by Jubal on May 31, 2024, 12:39:17 AM »
microscope
« Last post by Glaurung on May 31, 2024, 12:23:26 AM »
electron
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10