Author Topic: Dragon Age Veilguard reveals  (Read 209 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dragon Age Veilguard reveals
« on: June 12, 2024, 12:17:15 PM »
I like Dragon Age, we're getting new drops regarding Veilguard (I really preferred Dreadwolf as a title but oh well), so here's a thread of minor squees and speculations.

Companion Trailer

Confirmed companion roster is:
Harding: The Scout
Neve: The Detective
Emmrich: The Necromancer
Taash: The Dragon Hunter
Davrin: The Warden
Bellara: The Veil Jumper
Lucanis: The Mage Killer

We know Neve is a mage from the gameplay trailer, and Emmrich must also be. Harding is presumably a rogue, I'd guess Lucanis must be as well, and Taash and Davrin must be warriors. Less clear what Bellara is - could be another rogue as she seems to have a bow in the trailers? If there are only seven in the final game that'd be the lowest in the series so far (though DA2 minus all the DLC only gave you seven in practice). I would be unsurprised if we had at least one bonus companion available who hasn't been revealed for plot reasons.

I'm very happy to see Harding back, I'll be interested to see who else is on the cards: many characters would now be too old or very complex to bring back, but there are definitely some options, Dorian is an obvious possibility given the Tevinter setting, and Maevaris as an explicitly trans character has become a bit of a fan favourite although she's mostly been in spinoff media that I've not read. Josie would be nice to see and doesn't have an obvious reason not to be there (AFAIK she can't die in DAI).

Gameplay trailer

The gameplay looks much more DAI than DAO/DA2, which is a minor disappointment to me but not an unexpected one. I'm mostly here for the story in any case.

Minrathous having that kinda searchlights and loudspeakers authoritarian aesthetic isn't necessarily quite how I'd realised the place would be, there's definitely a certain mid C20th dystopian aesthetic to it which is quite interesting. Also maybe the Venatori will get more interesting this time, they always felt a bit second fiddle redshirts in DAI to me.

Plot thoughts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...