Author Topic: Hibernia's Last Ridaire's  (Read 3049 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hibernia's Last Ridaire's
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
Hi guys, this a story I wrote tonight for a competition.  Just thought you guys might be interested.  

DISCLAIMER* I'm aware that I've probably made loads of big mistakes as far as the period goes, but they make the story interesting.  Like for instance Ridires wearing lamellar.  Probably never happened.  But at least the Gaelic is accurate.  But then again I'm still learning and who's to say that they spoke Irish Gaelic back then anyway.  

The twelve Hiberno/Roman auxiliaries rode out an hour after dawn, on a cold, dark, British morning.  Small droplets of rain splattered against the Ridaire’s lamellar cuirasses, as Caradoc O’Bannain led his men through the gates of Aballava Fort, situated along Hadrian’s Wall.  His men had been defending Roman interests in Briton for fifteen years, and now, their time was almost done.  One more mission kept the men from returning home, across the Eirish Sea and back to Hibernia.  After so many decades of war on this most northern frontier, the Roman Empire had declared their orders to abandon the colonies in Britannia.  The Pict and Briton Celtic tribes had always resisted Roman rule.  While south of Hadrian’s Wall was civilised, north was untamed and dangerous.  And that was exactly where Caradoc and his men had to go.  

Their mission was to abduct the Roman dignitary, Manius Numiceus who was held prisoner by the Celts.  This would take Caradoc’s Ridaires past Hadrian’s Wall and deep into Celt territory.  However in doing so, they would earn their discharge and would be free to return west, to Hibernia.  

Shaking off is melancholy thoughts, Caradoc called for his scouts, the brothers Aileann and Artagan.  The two rode forward to the head of the company, and Caradoc marvelled at them.  In appearance and temperament, the two men were as different as night and day.  And yet never once had they quarrelled, to Caradoc’s knowledge at least.  “Ní mór dúinn a fhios agat cá bhfuil an fear seo. Faigh air dom.” “We need to know where this man is.  Find him for me.”  With a nod from Artagan, the two set off to track down their quarry like two arrows let loose from a bow.  

After fifteen years of fighting side by side with his men, Caradoc knew the brothers wouldn’t let him down.  Within twenty minutes they had returned.  Aileann rode straight to Caradoc, “Fuair muid an turas.” “We found the trail.” “Marcaigh dom! Agus lig gach fear a fhios anseo fanann an tsaoirse sin dó in Éirinn!” "Riders to me! And let every man here knows that freedom waits for him in Hibernia!"

Caradoc’s Ridaires pushed their steeds to the limit that day, not halting their pursuit for respite or nourishment.  The hoof beats of Eirish Hobit horses reverberated through valley, forest and over plains.  At last they came upon a ridge, where Aileann and Artagan had halted.  “Bhreathnaíonn sé an champa, captaen.” “It overlooks the camp, Captain.”  

The Celt camp was set up in no particular order, except that the ceannaire’s tent was set up, predictably in the centre of the camp and was recognisable by the fact that it was a third larger than all the others and didn’t have any noticeable holes in it.  Eadan took a long look at the encampment.  “Mar, sin cén chaoi linn a fháil i ann?”  “So, how do we get in there?”

The stray wisps of cloud lay strewn across the sky as if by the hand of an angry god, slightly obscured the moon’s pale shine.  The Ridaires made their move.  Together, they took up their bows and rode over the ridge, scanning the horizon for potential targets.  The Celt picket line didn’t even see what was coming as two arrows flashed out of the night and took the sentries on either side of Caradoc’s chosen breakthrough point in the chest.  Without a break in momentum the Ridaires continued their forward rush and started to scour the camp itself for the prisoner.  

That was what I entered for the comp.  What do you think?  I know the story's still going but I had a 500 word limit and even without the Gaelic bits I was still 20ish word over.  I'll probably do more if anyone wants.  And even if they don't. :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:24:13 AM by phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
Great work! The gaelic does add a very nice touch. As you point out the historical accuracy is patchy, but it's wholly up to you wherther you give a damn about that or not. Very nice story start, anyhow.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
Well everyone Hibernia's Last Ridaires has been shortlisted for judging in that competition.  And its being published in a compilation type magazine/book thing.  Not bad for a story I wrote in a couple of hours and then cut almost in half, right?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:52:38 PM by phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.