Author Topic: Phoenixguard's Warhammer Writings  (Read 9388 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Phoenixguard's Warhammer Writings
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
The devastating strikes continued to smash into the door, the hard oak barrier beginning to splinter under the punishment.  Gaps in the wood allowed the men to view the snarling creatures outside, each large, shaggy body crowned by massive, spiralled horns. Finally, with a great shudder, the doors literally fell apart and the first of the beasts fell upon the clump of knights with animalistic savagery. It was cut down almost immediately as Caspar put his blade through its throat. The dead beast hit the floor and was replaced instantaneously by another of its kin, fanged maw bellowing its defiance and axe striking wildly into shield and wooden wall alike. The knights met the furious assault with steadfast courage and skill as Einhardt pushed forward to intercept the monstrosity’s weapon with his shield, using it to push the weapon out wide before scything his own blade into the beast’s ribs. The cut itself was not life-threatening but that mattered not to the old knight as he pressed onwards into the braying herd. He knew he could rely on his knights to watch his back.

Conrad slammed his sword home into the beast his Preceptor had already wounded. The blade scraped along the vertebrae of the dying creature’s neck, the jolt travelling up Conrad’s arm telling him the strike was good. Though almost in his forty-third year, Conrad knew his skills were still as good as they had ever been as he drove out into the night, following in Einhardt’s wake.

An axe-blade to Conrad’s left glittered in the guttering torchlight. Instinctively he threw his shield up, feeling the satisfying impact even as he turned the blow aside and used the very tip of his own blade to clip an artery in the beast’s throat. There was no time to think, only the split-second acknowledgement of danger before reacting to it in the best way possible. It required instinct that only the best possessed and the luckiest retained. As Conrad knew all too well, those who did not have what was required died. The corpses of friends who hadn’t made it were testament to that truth.

Similarly melancholy thoughts were running through the minds of all the knights as the taste of combat brought back the memories of those comrades who had fallen. One and all they were too old to take joy in warfare anymore, too experienced and worn by the years to feel anything but muted relief when they killed. Still, they butchered the beasts, never relenting, for to cease would be to die.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
Brilliant, as always... :D
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
Hehe thanks. I notice that your remarks are getting more and more praising.

Thanks mate, I'm gonna be starting the second story arc as well. It will have Knights Panther and some sort of large enemy critter. So does anyone have a preference for the story's colour? Something easy to read but contrasting well enough with the red Taal-Runner Road.

Cheers,
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
At Silver's request (I think) here's the first installment of a new story arc. This one's about Knights Panther. Please enjoy...

The weak rain droplets pinged against the fluted panels of my armour as my squadron and I made our slow and weary way back to Talabheim. The Baron Gaulbach’s forces had been resoundingly crushed by the emergent Necromancer Lord Volk’s horde deep in the Kolsa Hills. We were the only survivors. Our ride back to the capital had been fraught with danger as we finally reached the River Waldharz, outrunning the spectral horrors that chased us. All four of us felt the shame of having fled deeply, made worse by the knowledge that the bodies of our friends were back in that damned place, rotting and bereft of a proper burial. Or worse, perhaps they had been defiled and had risen to join the fiend’s horde, forced to serve it in death. The thoughts chilled me to the bone as they had done for the three days since we had abandoned them.

“Rudolf, how far do you think we are from Talabheim?” Alden asked me. Since that fateful day, the others had looked to me for guidance. I had no idea why for I was not significantly older than the others and I certainly did not possess any more knowledge. For Sigmar’s sake, I wasn’t even a Talabeclander. I was a Kislevite by blood and a Stirlander by birth, explaining both my love of horses and my family’s impoverished background. Thinking of my family brought back painful memories. Procuring my entry into the Order of the Panther had almost broken them financially as my father’s gradually deteriorating health proved. Within a year of my induction, my father’s soul had passed into Morr’s keeping and my mother followed him almost a month later.

Alden’s worried look snapped my thoughts back to the present as I recalled his question. “I don’t know, but we have just reached the tail of the river. We must be about halfway by now.” Alden nodded in agreement and we all sank back into silence with only our haunting memories to keep us occupied. One cannot escape one’s own mind.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:22:04 AM by Phoenixguard09 »
(\__/)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
Yes, Panther knights! Loving the style too... It's a bit different tan the last one, with 1st person narrator and stuff.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
Thanks mate. And yeah, I'm really pushing myself to write differently, hence why this one's a bit more introspective and thoughtful. Worry not, for it will be punctuated by spontaneous bouts of senseless violence! :D
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:02:11 AM »
The knot of fighting around the doorway began to lose intensity after the initial conflict as the beasts held back from the skill and controlled ferocity of the old knights. Wary now, they prowled in the darkness, waiting for a weakness in the line. Brecht saw this and ran forward with his crossbow, as he did so bringing the wooden stock up to his shoulder. He sighted down the length of the bolt, exhaled and pulled the trigger. The bolt leapt from the string, slamming into one of the slinking shadows and spinning the beast off its hooves. The other road-wardens moved up and opened fire, protected by the thin line of knights, their bolts cutting more of the hulking creatures down. With a final snarl, the beasts backed away into the night.

Einhardt breathed heavily through the thick visor of his helm. He was weary after his exertions, conscious of the fact that he was no youngster any more.  Chest heaving, the old knight scanned the darkness, sword held loosely in his fist. The road-wardens began to cheer, obviously under the impression that the nightmare was over. The knights remained on guard. “Silence!” Einhardt barked over the din of the celebrations. The men slowly ceased their shouts, the good humour replaced by the beat of primitive drums. “Stand ready men,” Einhardt called. “By Taal this isn’t over yet!”

An earthshaking roar reverberated through the forest, joined by the thundering of hooves as something stirred in the darkness.  Suddenly the palisade shattered, a massive horned head rising from the carnage caused by the impact with the wall. With slow, ominous steps, the great beast stood forward. “Minotaur!” Caspar called, sending shivers of fear down the spines of all the men. They all knew what a minotaur did with its prey. Playing with its food was not even close. “Well,” Einhardt thought, “Now we know what the noises were before.”
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »
Well it took me almost a year, but here you go Silver, the end of a Tale of Shame.

The horses were nervous as we walked them alongside the slow-running water. The banks were steep and muddy, bad ground for cavalry. We all knew that. The mud would pull at the hooves of our horses, siphoning speed from the charge that was our greatest strength. So as our horses were nervous, so were we.

The trees surrounded us on all sides, pressing in close, their dark boughs filling us with nameless dread. The forests of Sigmar’s Empire were full of unwholesome creatures, the beasts of the deep woods always hungry for blood and carnage. Greenskins too made their homes in the shadowy forests but they seldom appeared this far north. All the same, we were on guard, the further we rode north, the more nervous we became.

A gust of wind, the snap of dry branch, the creaking of branches in the wind and the ambush was sprung. Whoops and cries filled the still, forest air as spiders began to glide down from the canopy upon gossamer lines of silk. Shiny and black with designs painted upon them in bright colours, these spiders were no natural creature but were as large as wolves and upon each rode a goblin armed with an assortment of crude spears and blades. “Swords!” I bellowed, drawing my own blade from the scabbard hanging from my saddle, urging the other knights to do the same. Taken by surprise, the knights reacted swiftly, baring steel and roaring challenges but the sudden appearance of the enemy left the horses baulking and fearful.

The first greenskin to come near me was crushed under the flailing hoof of my steed as the horse attempted to back away from the spider bearing down on it. Pouncing up at me, the now riderless spider took my blade in its thorax, spewing forth viscous liquid as it fell back to the ground, foul legs twitching in agony as it died. Beside me Alden fell to the ground as his horse was swarmed by three spiders, the creatures biting it many times until the noble creature’s strength gave out, venom coursing through its veins. Alden stood with some difficulty, the mud clinging to his heavy plate harness as the greenskins and their mounts turned their attention to him. I urged my horse towards them, depriving one goblin of its head before the others bore Alden to the ground, stabbing him with spears until eventually they found a gap in his armour.

Around me my squadron was being destroyed, knights and horses killed by the swarming greenskins and their vile mounts. Turning my steed’s head away from the slaughter, I abandoned my brothers once more.

For the second time within a week, I had forsaken my vows. I could only hope that my family would not learn of this dishonour.
(\__/)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »
An unexpected ending, I must say...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:26 AM »
Ah good. They're the best ones. :D
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:41 AM »
I wish to finish off Taal-Runner Road at some stage soon, but does anyone have any ideas regarding a new story? Perhaps something out of the Empire.

Cheers,
(\__/)