Space yays

Started by comrade_general, November 26, 2011, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddly Khan

Star Citizen, *Drool* I've been following that since it's kickstarter, even though I wouldn't be able to play it.
Quote from: comrade_general on January 25, 2014, 01:22:10 AMMost effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Tom

I'm saving up to build myself a tank of a PC so hopefully I will be able to :)

Cuddly Khan

I wouldn't even if I did have an awesome PC because of my crappy Internet. :(
Quote from: comrade_general on January 25, 2014, 01:22:10 AMMost effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Tom

Has Australia got crappy internet as a whole or is Tasmania just the worst area to live in? For internet that is.

Cuddly Khan

I live on a farm, so I have satellite. Other than that, our Internet is just as good as it is anywhere else... if you live in the cities. Plus, with the NBN we're getting fiber optics to every house in major populated areas. 'Tis good.

Tom

Sounds good mate :) Is living on a farm alright?
Oh and SPACE, YAY.

Cuddly Khan

Jubal

Back to actual space yays, a mars rover mission is set to try and make oxygen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28582903

QuoteNasa's next Martian rover will attempt to make oxygen on the surface of the red planet when it lands there in 2021.

The rover will carry seven scientific projects, aimed at paving the way for future manned missions, seeking evidence of life and storing samples to be brought back in the future.

Among them is a device for turning the CO2 that dominates the thin Martian air into oxygen.

This could support human life or make rocket fuel for return missions.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28268186

India becomes the first country to get a satellite to Mars on its first attempt!  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Othko97

Looks like the Indian Space Agency in that Doctor Who episode (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?) is becoming a reality :P
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

comrade_general

I saw some of the Lunar eclipse this morning.

comrade_general

I could go to my brothers' place in North Carolina if it would help. :)

Glaurung

Quote from: comrade_general on October 08, 2014, 01:25:27 PM
I could go to my brothers' place in North Carolina if it would help. :)
That's a very kind offer, but please don't make any plans yet: having missed most of totality of the 1999 eclipse due to an inconveniently placed cloud, I'm keen to find somewhere with skies as clear as possible. Also, there's likely to be an extensive US tour constructed around this, so I'd expect to be in Ohio at some point anyway.

Meanwhile, this side of the Atlantic, there will be a partial solar eclipse rather sooner, on Friday 20 March 2015. It's actually total on a path running from the north Atlantic up into the Arctic; the UK will see varying fractions of the sun obscured, from about 85% in south-east England up to at least 95% in northern Scotland. The maximum looks to be around 09:30 UK time. There are more details on the main NASA solar eclipse page - scroll down the list to the right date, and follow the individual links.

comrade_general

This is a space sad :(

Makes me thing of the Vanguard, except this one made it a bit further. Rocket science must be hard if it hasn't changed much in 60 years. :P

Tom

There's going to be a lot of bad press surrounding this which sucks.