Poll

Do we want to be able to recruit armies of NPC's to do our bidding?

Yea!
2 (66.7%)
Nay!
1 (33.3%)
Yes but not so enthusiatic as to shout it in an archaic way :P
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: The Hill Strategic Forum Game: Development Thread  (Read 15710 times)

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Hill Forum Game: Development Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
I'll happily Mod both.
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
Thanks good fellow. I think you're the best man for this job. I will also send in e-mail a document which has inside the map, some figures and the [-hopefully- improoved] rules of the game, to all of the people that took part in the first HILL RPG.

I hope the traditional version is a nice and fun-playing game...  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:09:55 PM by Dimos »
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »
Really?

"the best man for the job"

I'm honoured, but I must ask, what do I have that others do not, perhaps I'm just the agreeable sort.
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »
My version is far more realistic, for there's nothing better than having people as they are, social by nature.

Sorry, just wanted to quote this because I disagree most strongly. If we're all kings then in no way should we be wondering around the wilderness. That's not realistic at all. I'd also like to point out that this is not my version of the game, it is a community project so that the players can have a voice. In the interest of fun for the players (which is of course the reason the game exists) surely the players themselves have some ideas regarding what they would like?
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
My version is far more realistic, for there's nothing better than having people as they are, social by nature.

Sorry, just wanted to quote this because I disagree most strongly. If we're all kings then in no way should we be wondering around the wilderness. That's not realistic at all. I'd also like to point out that this is not my version of the game, it is a community project so that the players can have a voice. In the interest of fun for the players (which is of course the reason the game exists) surely the players themselves have some ideas regarding what they would like?

Well, it's not realistic for a King to go on campaign? That's riduclus... That's after the middle ages, when kings were staying home... Or do you propose that King William the Conqueror or Alexander the Great were not Kings? They were both Kings and Generals, that's realism. I'm remind you that most Kings during the middle ages were energetic and had full controll of their armies... Unlike some Louis the 17th or so who lost his Kingdom to the French Revolution... He was staying at home...

Players are encouraged to propose ideas, and I openly ask for ideas. New buildings, items, possiby mining rectangles, and whatever else are welcome. Even a crafting system based on ''recipes'' about how an item will be self-made. Even self made coins... Will be nice, unless it will make the game very complex. That will require resources, trading and moving trough the map and generally some sort of social organazation...

I think NightAngel is the best for the Job, for he can hold such a responsibility and he seams more impartial than me or PG09. I think he , If he follows the set rules can become the best moderator for such a game...  :) I am also working on a new map, or possibly we'll improove the already existing one. A real-world map would also be nice... If we'll have around 12 players next time, I think the game will be just awesome...  :D

EDIT: IMO, the HILL RPG is the best game out there!!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:11:48 PM by Dimos »

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
Of course the examples you cite are kings. But tell me, good Dimos, did they have armies?
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
Indeed they had. But armies were men, and men are not the puppets you propose, but my basic unit [aka the ''player'']. Armies were players and thus for example Alexander's men refused to march to India, because they had personalities, just like Dripping D and Death Nade did against my royal rule in the HILL. And William I's Brother Odo, bishop of Bayeux, rebeled against him sometime. The armies, as I propose them are made of social beings able to go rebel, or follow orders due to reason. The armies as you propose them are slaves, servants and nothing else than the will of man to stay unharmed... They are really unrealistic.

This I say to you good Phoenixguard because I know you'll recognise my proposals superiority and reason. I think your ideas are generaly speaking correct, but I will have to go against the armies as you propose them... I think we can have many of your innovations, but for the shake of unity I think you must deny this unrealistic and unreasonable idea about armies.

Thank you.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
Well with the advent of a Games Master, desertions and mutinies and the like can be handled easily, even allowing the bribery of your opponent's armies. An army made up of two people is really not all that impressive. Would you not agree that the mass, sweeping charge of cavalry as you order them to thunder into your opposing king's flank allowing you to turn the tide of battle is a far more impressive image than two thugs with axes beating up a supposed "king" in the wilderness.

The armies add a grand scope to proceedings.

(On a note regarding inter-player relationships: It is also much less confrontational to have your armies duke it out than physically beating your opponent down. Having armies would reduce the hostility which has been rife in the current game and has, I believe, disillusioned several players already.)
(\__/)

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
Also Dimos, if you are a good enough ruler, your army will come to love and respect you :P I fully suport the idea of armies, having the King or Queen leave their castle totally unprotected is not right. I believe that armies is a better and more realistic option.

Think of it this way, trying something new can be fun :) There is no harm in trying. 
(\__/)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »
Then you can try withought me. I stand to what I said before. I will not play this version, neither will I acknoledge it as a continuation of my game... It will simply remain a different scenario.

I agree that armies of more than 2 people / thugs are better, but I only accept armies made of players. And it's more realistic to have people who claim to be Kings and have no vassals, than claiming to be kings and have armies which are our super-ego, our need for survival... I'm sure no true social bonds will be formed in your version... only petty alliances based on self-preservation and interest / personal gain.

Imagine; I am thinking that if around 12 players join the next game, we can have a fairly good game. Imagine [again...] 3 Kingdoms... One with 2 people two with 5... It will be an epic skirmish... Imagine them clashing toghether... Two balanced states [5] and [5] and a smaller faction [2] that can turn the tides of war... That will be awesome.

I will make my version, you will make yours. If most players join yours, I will simply won't bother to even watch it. That will be a parody. I am sorry if that sounds strange or insulting, but I am bound to defend the best and not the most popular game.

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
Ok everyone, calm down before we actually get angry with each other.

Dimos doesn’t like the game you propose, that's fine.

You want your own one to see how it works, that's fine to.

In my opinion both games work in a realistic fashion, Dimos games (I like to imagine) plays out between local warlords or chieftains. The other game sounds more like between empires where monarchs can't be everywhere.

Dimos has a good role-playing game, the kind I would like to put quests into. While the other seems more like a grand strategy, where the GM could introduce diplomatic incidents or neutral realms.

That's just my take, personally I think you should try to make the games as different as possible and run them at different times.
I guess what I'm trying to say is stop fighting, do your own thing and try to make people happy.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
As Nightangel has rightly said: no mudslinging. Please remain civil, ladies and gentlemen.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
I would like to GM both games, in said games I would like the power to introduce things that the players are not expecting such as goals or threats.

But I think you're all right in saying we should drop this until the current one is over.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Hill Strategic Forum Game: Development Thread
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
Alright then, just getting a little bit of attention for thread so as to let people know that work has resumed I guess. I tried to delete the majority of the sledging in here but then I got really bored and just a little embarassed so I stopped.
(\__/)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Hill Strategic Forum Game: Development Thread
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
I really want more buildings, economical buildings are preferred
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.