Author Topic: Expanding Rome: Total War  (Read 24812 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expanding Rome: Total War
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »
Over the past weeks I have been doing a lot of thinking. I have had many mod ideas, only one has actually made progress in HRTW. However there is still something missing for me when it comes to this great game. Ever since I came into the modding world I have seen many mods. I like many of the features and concepts that they offer, but as a whole I never really fell in love with any. Instead I would rather play a vanilla campaign. I also see unit packs, and believe me they are great, but in my mind it makes the factions unbalanced. So here is my proposition, and I'm willing to commit and stick to it if I can possibly get some aid from you guys here at Exilian: (P.S. I have many personal preferences that may make me seem picky, but I have trouble settling for things I don't like) (P.S.S. I'm horrible with tutorials, I need somebody hands on that can help as i get to frustrated easily with tutorials)

MAP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Senate/Roman Factions
Units/Recruitment
Factions
Combining Historical Accuracy with Gameplay

If I come up with any other ideas I will post them here. Like I said before, I fully intend to complete this mod unlike the others I have proposed. There are some questions that will come up, for example Thrace, whether they should be a hellenic kingdom or barbarian people.
I do not want a large team, but would love if two-three people could help me.
I need someone who can create models and UI's, and I need someone who does well with art and textures.
I would like to learn 2d art on my own but I feel as if that is not my cup of tea. I rather get better with text editing.

If anyone would like to join the cause or help out with expanding Rome Total War, let me know right away and we can get started. I am wanting to go one faction at a time, starting with The Roman Republic.

There are three faction slots open. Here are the factions that could use the slots.

That's all for now. I hope I have explained myself as best as I can. If anyone wants to be a part of it let me know.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:35:52 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Expanding Rome: Total War
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
Adding settlements and provinces to a map isn't too difficult (given I'm really, really cack-handed with image programs and I can do it, at least). I suspect there's a tutorial on TWC somewhere if you dig around, if not I'll write a quick one for you.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Didn't I lay out my process for that somewhere? I can dig that up again...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
If you guys could help me, it would be amazing. I might have some time to add a few cities to Italy this weekend if I can understand your tutorials. Being busy in real life really makes it difficult to mod.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
Huzzah for SubRosa.  8)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial, SubRosa explains herself well. However I'm having an issue with installing the empty mundus magnus map. Could some one message me their email and I can send the map to them and they can explain what I need to do to get it working? I cannot upload files because all file sharing sites are blocked by my school.

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
Do you have -show_err enabled? Is it spitting any error messages out?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »
Yes, I have -show_err enabled and it's a CTD without any error messages whenever I try to play a campaign. The only factions are Egypt, Seleucids, Gauls, and Rebels. Each owning just one city. Only four cities on the map, as I checked the map_regions file. I do not know what could cause the CTD except when I open the radar map files nothing shows. comrade_general, I will send you an email of the files because my school does not permit me to use file sharing sites. Sorry for taking so long to respond
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:26:52 PM by ahowl11 »

comrade_general

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
I'll take a look at it this weekend.

comrade_general

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »
I have sent the repaired file structure back to you. All I had to do was change some of the directories in descr_sm_resources; they were trying to look in a mod folder called "HELLENISTIC" so I changed them to "NMM". Then there were no textures in the models_strat folder so I added them in as well. Lastly I deleted map.rwm and everything worked fine. I suggest you start your mod folder only with the files I just sent you, and then add in other stuff to it gradually (i.e. don't copy these files into a mod folder you might already be using). And if you change the name of your mod folder then you'll need to change those directories in descr_sm_resources again.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »
Thank you very much, it works! I am probably going to start adding regions to the map. Hopefully I can follow the tutorial correctly. I will start with Italy. Before I start there are a few things to mention:

1. Should I start adding regions first? Or should I focus on the structure of each faction? Meaning the culture, military units, etc.

2. There are 3 faction slots available for new factions. I'm thinking of having Epirus, because of Pyrrhus and the impact he had at the time, Illyria, as they are a unique culture that I believe should have been included in the RTW game. I would like to add Sparta since they had a Renaissance period around this time but I won't because they were not very powerful. Same can be said for Aetolian and Achaean Leagues. I believe the Greek Cities faction does a well enough job simulating the various Greek factions. Also, Pergamum would be interesting but still, another Greek faction? I have been interested in the Bosporans being in the mod but again, they are Greek, even though they have Scythian ties and would make the game more interesting in the north. Same could be said about Bactria, a nomadic, greek, and persian faction. So what about the Mauryan Empire? It would be easy to just port the Indian faction from ALX, but there are no "quality" indian portraits, I would use the eastern portraits and their buildings would have to be eastern as well which I don't think resembles them very accurately. Well, what about the Nabataeans? They were just nomadic herders around this time, so it would not e very relevant to add them, but so were the Numidians right? Plus Arabia will need some sort of action.

3. Building off point #2 is this: are the factions in vanilla RTW accurate? I mean, what should Thrace resemble? The Lysimachean Greeks or the Odrysian barbarians? Are the Dacians or Britons needed? What about Spain and Scythia? Spain could be Iberia but who are they resembling? All Iberians or a specific tribe such as the Luistani? Should they Scythians stay as Scythia or should they be changed to Sarmatians? Or could we have both factions? There are so many options!

Here is what I have for set factions:

4. Can someone make a radar map that is similar to the RTW vanilla one but fits the Mundus Magnus Map that I have? By similar I mean the texture like the geographical texture instead of political regions like what Mundus Magnus has.

comrade_general

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
1. This is totally up to you, but I'd recommend doing a bit of each in blocks, because one or the other will become tedious very quickly if you don't mix it up.

2-3. You ask some good questions there, these we've been asking ourselves for the last 8 years.  :P But it seems you have your faction list all set to go then, and I say it looks good so just roll with it.  ;)

4. I'm pretty stocked up on stuff to do right now. I think skull might be doing something like this at TWC?

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »
Might I suggest Ahowl that you combine Britons, Gauls and Celt-iberians into a big conglomeration under Celts? That way you could have Galatians as well and you would free up a faction slot to put in, say, Epirus. To curb their power you could have them very strung out, with only a few settlements actually under their control while the rest of their lands would be Rebel-controlled. In addition I'd take it as a personal favour if you included some Goidelic units. :P

Anyway, this is looking pretty interesting and I wish you the best.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »
@comrade_general, skull is doing the opposite of what I want. He is creating a region based radar map for RTW vanilla. I'm wanting a geographically based radar map for Mundus Magnus. I'm sure I can find someone who can do it though.

@Phoenix, you have a good proposition but I couldn't do the Celtic faction, it just doesn't go with my idea. For the units? I'll think about it ;P