Author Topic: Expanding Rome: Total War  (Read 24831 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Expanding Rome: Total War
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:27 AM »
Ok, I have tried to add a region to the map. I added Tarentum. The game works but whenever I try to move the mouse over to where Tarentum is, the game has an errorless CTD. What am I doing wrong?

Some Text files still have all the settlement names and region names from the mundus magnus and vanilla maps. Is that ok?
 ???
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

comrade_general

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »
It is most likely a mismatch between the default "owner" of the settlement in descr_regions and the faction creator in descr_strat.

What faction name did you put in for the descr_regions entry and the descr_strat entry?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »
No, as I checked both entries have macedon. Sould I send the files back to you? Also, how can I run the mod on BI? I want to run it on BI before I continue
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

comrade_general

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:06 AM »
Look through this and see if you can figure it out: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Campaign_Map_Not_Loading:_RTW
Keep that for future reference.

To run it on bi.exe just make a copy of BI's shortcut and add the usual -mod: etc. stuff to it.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
I checked and there was nothing relevant but when I posted the problem on twc someone gave me this link
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?58801-A-modder-s-guide-to-CTDs

I cannot figure out which one it is though as I switched the mod to run on BI and it crashed after I started a new campaign.

comrade_general

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
This part strikes me as prominent:

Scrolling over campaign map:
- Not enough province/settlements on a too large map (fix : add provinces on the map/may be fixed with BI) causes CTD while scrolling the map.
- Error with the rebel faction/settlement owner and or creator (when you scroll over a given settlement)
- Some hidden resources can cause CTDs when you scroll over the region.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
It has to be the first one. However I ran it on BI and it didn't even load the campaign before a CTD. I'm guessing that I need to add more regions

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Ok, quick change. After looking at what the Mundus Magnus Map had for cities I have decided that I will use that ,map instead of creating my own. I simply do not have time to make a new map. I will begin assigning each faction their regions soon

comrade_general

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
That would definitely be a much easier solution, plus you can easily change the names of the existing regions and even their positions with relative ease. :)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
Quick Update:

The Mundus Magnus Map is relatively new to me. I have played on the vanilla map so much that I have been able to memorize the starting positions of each faction, and each settlement name etc. So when I have had free time from studying for school, playing in the middle of a baseball season, and living the average social life of a college student I have been in the process of making a chart on a sheet of notebook paper. It lists each region, the city attached to it, the current owner of the region and the owner that I will be having in charge of the region. Here is an example:

City     Region     Current Owner     Future Owner
Roma             Latium                Senate                           Rome

So far I have completed All of Europe and Africa. I have the steppes, and all of Asia to finish, then I will use the settlement locator tool to help me with coordinates while I assign settlements to the right faction.

As I have been studying the map I have taken a liking to it. The maker did an excellent job of evenly distributing the regions across the map. There are not many huge regions like we see in vanilla, and there aren't areas of the map that are stuffed with regions while other areas are left spotless. After assigning the settlements to each faction I will be excited to add an AOR system. The AOR system will be cool because I want to divide regions into the specific areas and then assign units to those regions. A few examples would be Eastern Infantry and Spartan Hoplites. Eastern Infantry will now be changed to Persian Sparabara, and will be able to be recruited in the homeland provinces of the Persians. The Spartan Hoplites of course will only be available to the Greek Cities faction, and only recruitable in Sparta (vanilla already has this implemented) Now, one issue is shouldn't any faction be able to recruit Spartans? My answer is no they shouldn't, I really do not think that would be a good thing. So certain unique units will only be available to certain factions.

So there is an update, I'm also excited to revamp Egypt, making them into the Ptolemaic Empire. Their base units will be from THS made by comrade_general, and I will also include some units from XGM etc. If anyone is aware of vanilla looking units let me know. Maybe some of you have made some for personal use or mini-mods? I would love to include them in this mod if they meet what I'm looking for.

I will update again soon.

comrade_general

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
I like the sound of the aor system, and I agree; Spartans should only be recruitable by the Greeks. But then you can add in a generic hoplite unit, that are recruitable in the aor system by any faction. Here is a good starting point for your aor system: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?68626-Mercenary-Add-on-pack-for-Rome-Total-War
Of course you'll only want to use the units from that, as the other included files would pertain to the vanilla map which you are obviously no longer using.

That's quite an undertaking you're doing with the map regions, I hope that works out for you. I just have one question - what is "a sheet of notebook paper"? :P

Oh, and also - what position do you play? How is the season going? etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:06:16 PM by comrade_general »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
I probably will use that. And it's something that i needed to do, haha.

I'm a pitcher. It's my freshman year so I rarely see the field or any at bats but I see a lot of time on the mound. In fact, I'm pitching today!
But if I do get to play the field it's the outfield

comrade_general

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:04 AM »
That's like the top spot though. I mean, if you do your job right then the field guys don't have to do anything. ;)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »
Yup, exactly. I love pitching

comrade_general

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Cool. So how's that sheet of notebook paper treating you? :)