Author Topic: In the News  (Read 193506 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »
That I think is less sensible - though as far as I can tell it was just one incident in Washington?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
On liberals: Oh. Sounds similar to anti-establishment-ism and anarchism.

On guns: We were allowed handguns up until 1997 at which point gun violence increased until 2005 where it's been steadily declining to around pre-ban levels. To me that says that if someone is looking to shoot someone, they find a way regardless of laws on ownership. I don't think there's any particular reason to own a gun except for fun, owning one for home defence I think is not quite a good enough reason unless it's just a handgun. Also you might be forgetting the 20...12? massacre in cumbria. We still get them occasionally.

On gays: UKIP aren't anti-gays Jub. And if you look in a certain light it can read: you can't support gays and want to leave the eu. The pride rally is about inclusion and they exclude a portion of people over something unrelated.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/18/nigel-farage-confirms-that-ukip-will-not-abolish-same-sex-marriage/
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
Senate candidate in Florida admits drinking goat blood

A Florida candidate for US Senate has come under criticism after it emerged that he once killed a goat and drank its blood.

Augustus Sol Invictus admits he "sacrificed" the animal as part of a pagan ritual, but it was not "sadistic" as some of his critics have alleged.

The Libertarian Party candidate is unlikely to win the seat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450057

What IS it with Florida?

comrade_general

« Reply #424 on: October 07, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
I'd say that's just a portugaled-up individual wherever it is from.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »
Yeah, just every time I see a story that weird from the US it seems to be Florida more often than not.

Though I'm honestly less concerned about the goat sacrifice than his apparent backing by white supremacists...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: October 08, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Israel made a mistake letting Palestinians back in apparently. Who knew? Wait, me yeah that's who.

Russia's is getting beefed up for some sort of conflict. If it's against Europe, we'll get spanked.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Russia is hardly going to "attack Europe" en masse; it's all about salami tactics. They'll gear up and, say, shore up their areas in Ukraine, or fully reinstall Assad but as a Russian puppet. Big, but not big enough to draw Western forces in properly. Could Russia try a mass invasion of Europe? Possibly, but they'd bleed like anything doing so, not least because the US, for all that it's not what it was in superpower terms, still has frankly absurd levels of firepower stationed in all sorts of convenient locations around the continent. I think Russia's ambitions will be fairly calmly paced to ensure that whatever they do it'll never seem quite big enough to draw Britain/France/America into a full on conflict.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
Overkill studios are getting serious backlash from the gaming community after implementing a mild form of pay2win in the co-operative shooter PAYDAY2. Reddit is losing it's armadillo. But then again it's like 7k people downvoting all the OVK posts and over 100k people play the game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: October 27, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
Not a game I've heard of, should I have done? I guess what's always hard to know with these things is what answer you'd actually get if you polled everyone - whether silence means consent, apathy, or not having enough time & energy to speak.

Meanwhile, in Minnesota people are smashing up cars with vegetables now:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3869742-watch-now-massive-pumpkin-smashes-minivan
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:35:38 PM by Jubal »

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »
Meanwhile, in Minnesota people are smashing up cars with vegetables now:
I was sufficiently curious to do the obvious physics calculations for this. A 1465 lb (666 kg) mass at a height of 80 feet (24.4 m) has a potential energy of 159 kJ. Assuming no significant air drag, the impact speed is 21.9 m/s = 48.7 mph.

After that I'm not surprised the minivan crumpled the way it did - it was hit by the equivalent of a small car at almost 50mph, and from a direction where there's no reason to design crash resistance.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
Not a game I've heard of, should I have done? I guess what's always hard to know with these things is what answer you'd actually get if you polled everyone - whether silence means consent, apathy, or not having enough time & energy to speak.

I'm probably right in saying it's the largest co-op shooter around. OVK has said it has been a statistical success (whatever that means, probably that they made enough money to count for the fewer people playing the game and therefore lower dlc sales) so the silence is consent probably in this case. It's a great game if you like shooters or stealing or random funny things happening during co-op gameplay.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
"No reason to design crash resistance for car rooves" says prominent dragon. Hmmm...

comrade_general

« Reply #433 on: November 08, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
So in Burundi the government has openly promised to wipe out anyone who didn't willingly turn over their weapons. And people say this sort of thing doesn't happen in the modern world.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Do they?