Author Topic: In the News  (Read 193480 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
That's pretty cool.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2016, 05:20:10 PM »
Much sadnesses :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: April 01, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »
Naww. No ronnies.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: April 01, 2016, 09:18:52 AM »
It is goodbye from him and goodbye from him :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »
Yay, rare and occasional good news :D

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #502 on: May 02, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
Livingstone is a nazi and Corbyn is ok with that. Wow these guys are really 'for the people'. portugal whatever other political leanings you have, if you're in favour of relocating Jews from Israel like Khan, Livingstone and Corbyn then you're a portugaling fascist.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: May 02, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Yeah there's a real antisemitism problem in parts of the British left. People like Galloway and Livingstone just have a historical blindness that is worrying to see. It's a problem my party has to some extent too with people like David Ward, though it seems to be much more widespread and unpleasant on Labour's left and the hard left. I agree though - whilst I'm not sure Israel in its current constitutional form is going to remain a stable prospect geopolitically, any solution has to absolutely recognise the rights of Israelis to stay in their homes and be free of persecution.

Assuming you mean Sadiq Khan, though, I'm pretty sure he's said nothing indicating he's in favour of that? I don't think Corbyn has either, though he's certainly not been tough enough to admit the existence of the problem and I think his presence and his rather dodgy history with some anti-semites may be emboldening Labour's anti-semites so he badly needs to crack down on them.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #504 on: May 02, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »
It was Nasz Shah (think that's her name) who was suspended for antisemitic Facebook posts and whom Ken Livingstone was defending, maybe that's who clockwork meant? Interestingly her local synagogue actually seemed to be mildly supportive of her, from what I've heard it sounds like she used to genuinely believe some of the crazy antisemitic conspiracy theories, but maybe she actually has changed her opinion since then. I'd say its highlighting the problem of antisemitism within Islamic communities as much (if not more, probably more) than within the left. I suspect it makes me a tremendous racist to say such things though. Oh well.
Ken Livingstone does seem to be pretty nuts, I'm not sure if he actually is antisemitic or if he just gets confused about the armadillo he comes out with. He really doesn't seem great at being a politician either way.

Not particularly newsworthy, but since we're on this subject I might as well mention there were some allegations of antisemitism against the new NUS president. It sounded more like people were confusing anti Israel sentiment with antisemitism to me but I couldn't be bothered to look into it much further because who the portugal cares about the NUS.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
Livingstone is a bit past it I think. Hopefully Shah will learn from past mistakes. I think a lot of people on the left are very confused about Israel/Palestine, and lump Israel in as a "colonial oppressor" which is a poisonous way of looking at a situation that's much, much more complex than that. London politics in particular seems to be currently involving dog-whistle antisemitism from leftists like Galloway and Livingstone opposed by dog-whistle Islamophobia from the Tories. It's grim.

Some of the things Malia Bouattia has said were anti-Semitic, I think - not high-level explicit anti-Semitism but definitely borderline at best, using tropes like complaining about the "Zionist media" which are dog-whistle terms that date back to the old fascist lie of a global Jewish conspiracy. I don't think they were unforgiveable statements, but at the very, very least for someone in an office like that she should have been able to recognise that she said the wrong thing, why it was wrong, etc - instead she just got very defensive. I feel like anyone who alienates Jewish students as much and as fast as she has is probably not well suited to a job like NUS president.

comrade_general

« Reply #506 on: May 05, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36200481?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Only posting because it sort of reminded me of the Klingon thing and also it's a giant 'up yours' to Apple. ;D

comrade_general

« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2016, 01:27:33 AM »

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
He's a pretty cool guy, don't take no armadillo from nobody.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #509 on: May 17, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »
Good news everyone! Shrooms are good for you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36247599