Author Topic: In the News  (Read 193551 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #555 on: June 23, 2016, 12:58:41 AM »
Who he was targeting is irrelevant to our point - I think G and I both find the use of political violence abhorrent regardless of whether we like the candidate, we just don't think the nationality of the attacker makes much difference or is especially absurd/surprising in this case. Would equally be nuts and abhorrent if an American tried to assassinate either of them. That also applies equally to either candidate.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #556 on: June 23, 2016, 01:06:24 AM »
It just doesn't make any sense why he would feel threatened. If that's the only way I've been affected by a president as a citizen of this country then he's totally fine.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: June 24, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
He didn't do it because he feels threatened himself, he outright said he expected to die in the attempt. He obviously thought he was  doing the right thing. Like a terroreest.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
Labour hates corbyn! Yay! Labour aren't as bad as I thought!
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
Labour look like they'll rip themselves to shreds over this.

Meanwhile my lot are struggling to keep up with the membership applications coming in!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #560 on: July 02, 2016, 01:08:10 AM »
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/30/concealed-carrier-shuts-down-active-shooter-lyman-south-carolina-nightclub

People can rag on Fox all they want but without it we would never hear about things like this.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: July 02, 2016, 11:50:04 PM »
It would be interesting to have the actual statistics on how often this happens. And one could probably actually compile meaningful numbers for the statistics, which says quite a lot in itself. I don't doubt that armed people can help fight off other armed people especially if they're well trained, I still doubt the NRA position that having more armed people would help in many or most mass shooting situations. But anyway, there's not much point in us raking over this one again.

Meanwhile, a terrorist attack has happened in Bangladesh leaving 20 dead, thought to be done by Islamists/ISIS; though they're also feeling pressure on the ground, as apparently the US just took out two more senior commanders of theirs in Iraq with an air strike.

comrade_general

« Reply #562 on: July 03, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »
I heard we got around 250 of them a week ago.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #563 on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »
Big news of the day is that the Chilcot report, into why the UK went to war in Iraq, is finally being published. It essentially confirms what we already knew - there were no WMDs, there was no imminent threat from Iraq, peaceful options had not been exhausted before we declared war, we didn't prepare our troops properly, and there was too much reliance on flawed intelligence information.

comrade_general

« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2016, 12:54:11 PM »
Wow that's big news. Not.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
It's politically quite a big deal here; the report's been awaited for a long time, and many of the centre-right politicians who pushed for the war were hoping that it would be a lot kinder on them. Instead, it's a pretty complete official independent takedown for Blair, IDS, Cameron, and other establishment figures and a big vindication for leftists and the Lib Dems who solidly opposed the war.

comrade_general

« Reply #566 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:48 PM »
Well I guess they'll be put in prison because their name isn't Clinton.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: July 06, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
Unfortunately not, although maybe if Cornyn ends up in power they may have to face an international court (highly unlikely though).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #568 on: July 06, 2016, 11:35:58 PM »
None of them broke UK law, Blair may have broken international law but I don't expect him to be tried any more than I'd expect Bush to be for the same thing.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »