Author Topic: In the News  (Read 194794 times)

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
Don't worry CG, whatever you guys do, Britain will inevitably follow like an obedient lapdog.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
It does actually look like we're not going to this time, which is interesting.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
Doesn't look like we are going to do anything either. Alobama passed it to congress even though they aren't in session and they will likely say no. All's well that ends well.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
Ironic, given the GOP still control the House of Representatives; I guess it's a catch-22 for them, either they stop Obama going to war (thus defeating Obama) and risk the argument that they failed the Syrians, or they have to tacitly accept Obama going to war.

I think it is fair that Congress have to justify going to war really, though there are risks in that sort of system. I'm sure Obama doesn't really want to go to war if he can help it; too much of his base of support was always about cheapening/getting out of big ground conflicts of the Iraq & Afghanistan type.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23957616

Looks like Congress may be a bit more hawkish than you thought, CG.

comrade_general

« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Oh bloody hell. I call for a vote from the people.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23973673

A third of women believe there are varying degrees of rape, according to new figures.

The same proportion also think if a woman does not fight back, then she cannot have experienced rape.

A quarter of the 1,000 women surveyed wrongly thought if someone was drunk it could not be classed as rape, while 60% thought it did not count if a woman does not say no.

These figures are really quite worrying, the more specific sub-headings far more so (to me) than the headline given that it shows specifically how unaware some people are of what circumstances class as rape (aka ALL non-consensual sex).

comrade_general

« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »

Jokes! Don't hate me. :P

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »
That video was funny, the news report wasn't though. Come to think of it, I don't remember ever having a sex-ed lesson where rape was discussed. I know its an uncomfortable topic, but clearly more people need educating on the laws regarding rape.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
That's true, I'm not sure we ever learned about it at all; we did an overview of the laws on assault, GBH, etc, if I recall, but rape just wasn't brought up. Which is really pretty concerning.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23986595

"The spells and things that you're reading in the Harry Potter books, those aren't just something that are made up, those are actual spells. Those are things that came from witchcraft books," says Tess.

Yes! Harry Potter is actually non-fiction, I was right.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
Replace a bad one with a worse one. That's how the government works.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23986595

"The spells and things that you're reading in the Harry Potter books, those aren't just something that are made up, those are actual spells. Those are things that came from witchcraft books," says Tess.

Yes! Harry Potter is actually non-fiction, I was right.

I wonder what they would think if they actually had a conversation with J.K Rowling about the origin of the spells (presumably she made them up). They would assume she was a witch then?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24270591

"Forgoing his cowboy boots for tennis shoes, Sen Cruz, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, railed all night against the Obama health law, calling it the country's "biggest jobs killer" and comparing his struggle to the fight against the Nazis, or the American Revolution."

Okay, so I acknowledge the rights of American politicians to oppose state healthcare. But to equate it to Nazism is a really severe political insult to anyone who DOES have that system - last I checked, Britain, which has the archetypal free at the point of use healthcare service Cruz so reviles, was fighting the Nazis before the Americans even decided to turn up to the party. Gah. I don't mind people disagreeing with my views, I just wish they wouldn't be quite so dumb about their rhetoric at times.  :(

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2013, 01:08:58 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25145015

Well that is some serious bullarmadillo.