Author Topic: In the News  (Read 194918 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2014, 05:02:06 AM »
He's not even slightly qualified to be telling them what to do. Damn commies trying to make everything mediocre. As usual I'm in favour of letting the people that get things done get on with it. Also, I am pro elitism but, while relevant, is another matter entirely and don't jump on it here because it's a big topic :P

Education history:

I didn't really attend school per se so it would look a little like this.

Sort of (state)
Not really (private)
Nope
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
I think that to be fair it's not necessarily inconsistent to argue for non-selective schools but selective Universities (though I'm biased there as that's the position I hold myself). Schools operate at a sufficiently lower level that it should be and is usually possible to provide work differentiation through setting/streaming within the school. I think there's a lot of value in mixed schooling if only to remind people of the range of skills and people that exist in the world and that most of them are actually necessary. High-end universities are very much a bubble of future academics, leaders, politicians, etc, and seeing some people there who've been in a similar bubble since their age was in single digits... it doesn't do them any good, put it that way.

Rob: I'm also very pro having an elite Russell Group/Oxbridge, I think that's absolutely the appropriate age for people in all fields of life to start really being able to focus on what will make them brilliant at what they do. On the other hand, I'm quite sympathetic to the view that there are less bright private school pupils who are going to Oxbridge instead of state school pupils, because private schools are better at playing the exams game. And exams can be taught and played as a game - something I know well, from having had to teach myself how to play - without necessarily providing an education that will mean better success at Oxbridge.

That said, I accept that basically we have to use the metrics that are available for state school entry - and one of the main issues with state school entrants is applications as much as/more than results, too many state pupils have the grades but don't apply. I don't think Oxbridge are the main people at fault for their selection biases/issues by any means, and I agree that it's sixth form level where the targeting needs to happen.

Also, since we're doing this:

Primary school  - Local village school, Church of England
Secondary school & Sixth Form - Local Comprehensive in nearest town
Degree - Cambridge
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2014, 10:49:57 PM »
Power sharing deal has been agreed in Afghanistan - a big move forwards there.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/517859/Jeremy-Clarkson-outrage-driving-Argentina-Falklands-War-numberplate

I posted it in chat but I'll post it here as well as it is technically news. Got to say I love the move. Argentina can royally portugal off about the Falklands, Chile once again proving to be our ally, much respect for those guys.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
I agree that Argentina should leave off, it's a pity that their politicians always see it as a way of getting free support. I'm still not a Clarkson fan and probably never will be.

comrade_general

« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
So 269 = 255 and 646 = 649? This is going to change the math world forever. :o

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
Lol, I know right, getting all aggro over not much really. Nobody gave two armadillos when they pulled their stunts with the athlete or at the football.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »
I can't understand how much they can misconstrue the numbers.

comrade_general

« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2014, 12:47:44 AM »
Have just a taste of what it's like to be an American. :P

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »
I think we're about as hated worldwide as you guys, although we seem to have self loathing and public shame which you guys lack :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I like our self deprecation. It's in many ways not a bad characteristic.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
I must have missed something, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. What was the news story behind this?

comrade_general

« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
I must have missed something, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. What was the news story behind this?
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/517859/Jeremy-Clarkson-outrage-driving-Argentina-Falklands-War-numberplate

Also,

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
Many thanks. I'd spotted the Clarkson story, but I didn't know someone had tried to tie up the other two number plates to the Falklands War as well.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
I like our self deprecation. It's in many ways not a bad characteristic.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. For me it symbolises that we actually have a pretty decent idea of how generally flawed the human race is and that we are equally flawed as anyone else :D