Author Topic: In the News  (Read 193518 times)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In the News
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
And suddenly, Republicans everywhere.

Say goodbye to any legislation whatsoever being passed for the next two years, America! Oh, and good luck even getting budgets passed, which now may not even happen.  :P

I may be mistaken, but as far as I understand it, the president has a veto, but congress can table and pass legislation since it's now completely red. If I remember rightly the budget didn't pass because the House blocked it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't say I know a huge amount about the situation.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
TTG4: I think you're right. Based on the BBC reports at least, the Republicans now have a majority in both the House and the Senate. Their Senate majority is not big enough to prevent filibustering, but I think they now have a fairly free hand at legislating. The question now is whether and how much Obama will use the presidential veto.

I suppose there is a separate question of whether the Tea Party will allow Congress to spend any money on anything...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
I'm surprised the Libertarians haven't been able to capitalise on this at all - presumably just a matter of weak organisation and lack of funds, but you'd have thought they'd be at least pushing in more at a state representation level even if not in congress.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »
They try for too much at once. It's got to be subtle and from the bottom.

I also read that a Libertarian candidate died before the election. Believe he was murdered by Republicrats.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
They try for too much at once. It's got to be subtle and from the bottom.
I think this is the core of the matter - they need to be pushing to get a few seats in state legislatures in Libertarian-leaning states (Colorado, Maine, possibly New Mexico Nebraska). They can then use that local government base as a springboard to get seats in Congress, if they can become popular by have ground gains. Instead they seem to be blowing their funds on the presidency or the senate which are much more distant goals, it's all about building up the ground game. That's what worked for the Liberals in the UK, though they've screwed things up since getting into coalition.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: November 09, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »
Today is the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. To my regret, now, I wasn't paying much attention to the news at the time - there were other, more immediate, things going on in my life. Nevertheless, the pictures are remarkable: the destruction of a physical barrier, and perhaps more importantly of a mental barrier, that had divided Europe for at least a generation.

Only two months before, I had been travelling around Europe by train, with friends. Going from Vienna to Copenhagen, it didn't cross our minds that the shortest route was via Prague and Berlin - these were both the other side of the Iron Curtain. Instead we went the long (and admittedly rather scenic) way round, via Salzburg, Munich and Cologne. Now, I've probably travelled almost as widely east of that frontier as west of it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: November 09, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
I also feel it's a pity I wasn't paying much attention to the news at the time, but I at least have the excuse of nonexistence...

comrade_general

« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:11 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/18/neo-nazis-tricked-into-raising-10000-for-charity

Nazis tricked into being sponsored for a walkathon. This amuses me :P

comrade_general

« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this backfires into explosive violence.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
Nazis in Germany are now too rare and frowned upon to be able to risk explosive violence, to be honest.

comrade_general

« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
They are here too but then Timothy Mcveigh.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
Here in the UK they usually band together and form political parties.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
On another topic, Sweden have upheld their arrest warrant for Assange.

The way I see it, if he's innocent then why doesn't he defend himself against the allegations? I highly doubt they're fabricated as I see some people suggesting. By hiding from the law I feel like he increases suspicion.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
On another topic, Sweden have upheld their arrest warrant for Assange.

The way I see it, if he's innocent then why doesn't he defend himself against the allegations?

His reasoning behind staying in the UK rather than going to Sweden to face charges initially was bloody stupid. He claimed to believe that he was safer from extradition to the US staying in a country with a formal extradition treaty, which is ridiculously one sided, with the US, and has a history of helping the CIA with extraordinary renditions, than he was in a country which had given him a formal promise that he wouldn't be extradited, and didn't have an extradition treaty with the US in the first place.

Either he genuinely believed this, in which case he's so stupid that he's actively harmful and I don't want to be associated with him, or he didn't believe this, and he's a lying scumbag who knows that he's likely to be convicted of rape in Sweden, and I don't want to be associated with him.