Author Topic: PG and LH's Oblivion Mod  (Read 24703 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
PG and LH's Oblivion Mod
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Alrighty then,

Basically this is an idea I had after many late nights, far too much Coke and God help me but both of those combined with Ladyhawk's encouragement. I apologise to you all and I can't help but think that Ladyhawk will be along soon to offer her own apologies.

I'd like to preface this by saying that, for now at least I do not own Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls game although I have played Oblivion for about a week in the past and Skyrim for about 20 seconds at Ladyhawk's place the other night. I know armadilloe all about the background, namely because in the few times where I got into a conversation with Duke Dev about it I was immediately struck by how much it seemed to be a random amalgamation of Warhammer / Lord of the Rings / Dungeons & Dragons etc. Basically I was utterly bewildered by the fact that, in the tradition of fantasy worlds everywhere, it took/stole/borrowed/raped exisiting fantasy themes and ideas.

I thought about it a bit more and thought, great! That means I can do all sorts of weird armadillo with it. :P

So then I asked Ladyhawk is I might be able to borrow her Oblivion disc. I do it for Skyrim but quite honestly, newer games tend to piss me off with how they never work well on any computer I buy, regardless of how good that computer might be. Ladyhawk agreed and asked me why I wanted it. I informed her of my plan and she got really interested. Perhaps Exilian might be interested too. That and I want to stay ahead of CG in the Top 10 Topic Starters. :P

So now the idea.
As we know, Oblivion has ten existing races. As we also know, I love Elves. As we also also know, Oblivion elves are weird. What most of you don't know, Oblivion elves give ME the absolute armadillos. So I'd personally like to make some changes there. With absolutely no regard to the Oblivion fluff I just know I am viciously violating in almost every conceivable orifice, I give you my revised list of Oblivion races.

Races and changes to be made:

Imperials - Will stay pretty much the same as they are but I would like to have some sort of military cultural history going on for all the different races. If that goes ahead then these guys will be all arming sword and shield. They will lose the katanas. Katanas will go to another race.

Redguard - Staying more or less as is.

Orcs - Unsure as to whether to have them playable. Might as well I guess but they will have more of a tribal cultural thing to them. Because an Orc in pristine full plate is always going to be a bit odd.

Bosmer - Basically short dudes who live in the forest. They'll be more or less the same as now except they won't be referred to as elves. So something like halflings but without big feet and a bit more warlike and less sedentary.

Dunmer - More or less the same as now except once more, they will not be called elves. They will, on the other hand have some more similarities to Drow from D&D.

Khajiit - Not changing much except I'd like to do some work on the models and textures to make them look a bit nicer, so a little more like the Khajiit in Skyrim.

Argonians - Once again not changing much.

Nords - Again the same. As far as cutural influences go, big axes and swords and leather and hide armour.

Now for the new races:

Dwarves - I want short bearded dudes with axes who want to kill Orcs. They'll have a passive effect that grants night vision and will be tough little bastards. Slow though.

Elves - Basically the normal Tolkien-esque Elf. I'm thinking a culture similar to a cross between the three Elven races in Warhammer. A nasty murder God like Khaine who demands sacrifices, a predatory view towards humans and other races in general and a style and political system similar to the High Elves.

Some sort of Dog People - I had an idea for piratical dog people. Now I'm undecided whether that means cutlass style pirates or vikings. But either way, dog people would be cool. They would be related to the Khajiit I guess.

Gnolls perhaps? - I don't know but they do show up a hell of a lot in D&D I guess. Hyena people could be cool.

Snake People perhaps too - Once again they show up quite a bit in D&D and it wouldn't be too hard to put them in because they wouldn't be too dissimilar to Argonians. What's more, a venomous bite could be cool.

Some type of Satyr/Faun thing? - Large goat like people. Maybe even a minotaur if they don't exist already in Oblivion.
EDIT* We've done some research. Turns out Oblivion does have Minotaurs so we've decided there will be two races of Minotaur now. One will be the Wild Minotaurs, ten foot tall and really nasty, built like a semi-trailer and with a temperament like a pitbull terrier on crack. The other race will be the smaller Feartarbh or Man-bulls in Gaelic (sue me :P ) who will look down upon their uncivilised brethren. The Feartarbh will look a hell of a lot like the minotaurs from Narnia, namely cause they look awesome.

Are Centaurs even possible? - Cause if so that would be AWESOME!
EDIT* Turns out they are possible and I'm damned well doing it.

In addition to the new races I'd like to add some more stuff to the Vampyre curse and I'd also like to have some sort of Werewolf curse while I'm at it.

We have had more ideas but for now this is all I'm putting up.

Anyone who has ideas that they'd like to see or would like to offer their help would be more than welcome.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:51:21 PM by Phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PG and LH's Oblivion Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
THIS IS GOING TO BE SO AWESOME!!
(\__/)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
Another idea we've been having is in regards to guilds and such. \

At the moment we have:

The Mages' Guild
The Thieves' Guild
The Fighters' Guild
The Dark Brotherhood
Are there others?

Anyway, in addition to that I'm thinking,
The Brotherhood of the Wolf - A very secret society of werewolves out in the wilderness.
The Druids' Guild - A society of priests of the woodland realms. Upon becoming a Druid you gain access to various shapeshifting spells that allow you to take the form of various animals depending on your Druid level.
The Sorcerors' Guild - A secret society of "evil" mages. This would allow for more dangerous summoning (nasty big Daemonic Prince type stuff. BLOODTHIRSTER!) and learnable Necromancy. I'd push for the inclusion of graveyards in cities and villages so you can raise a skeletal army.

I'd also like to rename the existing guilds to something a little more... well... realistic? I mean who would call their establishment the Fighters' Guild? Something like the Swordbrethren or.. well I don't know. The Dark Brotherhood stays as they are naturally. That's a cool name.

In addition to this, the following features will hopefully be added:

New mounts: Not just horses, who wants to ride a big cat? How about a big wolf? How about a dinosaur? Come on, like you haven't seen a horde of trolls and thought, "God if I had a Triceratops I'd just ride straight through them." This leads to,

Mounted Combat: Because a Triceratops is just not complete without a heavily armoured knight on its back swinging a greatsword.

Expanded house system: Some way to add new things to your houses. One thing in particular being a stable which may be purchased and outfitted for the sole purpose of housing your new critters.

A companion system: Ladyhawk wanted a dog to follow her around. Then I suggested a small dinosaur.

New skills plus expansions to old ones: I'm thinking a Trapping skill which will allow you to use stuff like bear traps and such. It would be good to have a few more outdoorsy type skills. Tracking would be good too but I'm not sure how that woul work out. In addition to that, Smithing does bugger all so the ability to craft your own weapons and armour would be good. This links back to the house expansions in that you can buy a furnace and anvil for your house and then go about smithing yourself some stuff. You could even counterfeit coins which would lead to another criminal offence we can do in Oblivion!  YAY FOR CRIMINAL OFFENCES! :P

That's all I've got for now but trust me, there's a lot more to come.
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
*squeal* SO EXCITED!
(\__/)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
Some news.

Sadly my idea regarding the new Trapping and Tracking skills is out. Turns out you can't make new skills in Oblivion. That's ok though we'll sort something out, even if perhaps it might be modifying existing skills. After all, Blade and Blunt could probably be combined. That being said, I don't know if Skills can't be modified either. Still, research shall continue.

In other news though, there will be new cities, something which Ladyhawk was supposed to tell everyone (HAHA like there's anyone reading this. :P ) but forgot. She does have many assignments though so its fair enough.

One of the new cities will be a large affair located at least partly underwater which will be mainly populated by Argonians.

I'm also thinking an island in the north with Nordic themes but sort of like a Tortuga type settlement. It'll mainly be populated by the dog people who will be a cross between vikings and traditional pirates. Imagine Captain Jack Sparrow but as a dog-man and carrying a huge wooden round shield. Hard to imagine right? Absolutely but in my mind that image simply oozes awesome. Especially if he has a pet hawk sitting on his shoulder. He can be found on a longship with black sails... :P

Anyway, heaps of cool stuff on the way guys, stay tuned.

Oh and if anyone has any ideas/requests/whatever we'd be happy to hear them. Please. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE! :D

I'd like to get someone who can sort out the lore side of things. I'd be willing to myself but I get the feeling that I'm going to have my hands full, so if anyone here is willing to write up there own version of the state of things between races in A-New-Fantasy-World-That-Has-A-Lot-Of-Similarities-With-Oblivion-But-Is-Totally-Different then please put your hand up.

Actually that might be the name of the world. ANFWTHALOSWOBITD. If we cut that down a bit we get, ANFWALSOBID.

Anfwalsobid. Nay tis a silly name. :P

Anyway, I'd best be off, but please join in. We'll need all the help we can get. I'd love to get a modeler to help. I have Milkshape and Wings3d (Don't know if Wings'll help though with Oblivion) but I'm not that flash with either. I can texture though although I get the feeling I'm not going to have time to do too much texture work so I'd like a texturer too. I'm willing to do the coding pretty much single handed though. I think I can do that well enough.

Cheers,
(\__/)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
I haven't read much (really busy atm), but my suggestion is to go for Skyrim. I've heard that it has much better construction set.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
For most things we have thought of, we need Oblivion.
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:31 AM »
I'd consider Skyrim Silver if I had 70 dollars lying around. That and my computer hates me too much. ;)

Oblivion at least runs well enough. So thanks for the suggestion mate but I really don't think its an option for me. That being said, Ladyhawk might be able to do it.
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
I should get some of the TES series sometime...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
You definitely should. The Elder Scrolls games are amazing.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Morrowind is so awesome. It has tons of stuff that they took out of it in Oblivion. Including skills. With lore, you can't be helped there but you just need to state in the release that it doesn't follow lore. Blender is a really good program to use for models, it's free and easy to learn how to use.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »
Thanks for the tips Khan.

I'd consider using Morrowind cause I heard that it was a better game than Oblivion but once again, neither myself nor Ladyhawk own it and I've been unable to find it for sale.

On the other hand I'm going to look into Blender. It should be interesting. The problem of course being that I'm a armadilloe modeler. :P
(\__/)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »
LOL!!! If you ever do get Morrowind get "MGE XE" with it. Also get "Vurt's Groundcover", these together make it look like Skyrims graphics. No joke. Morrowind's easier to mod if your adding people because you don't have to make voices for them. Makes modding quicker. The modding community for Morrowind is bigger in my opinion as well. But maybe that's just me.

Some pics of MGE XE just to tease you. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These screenshots have more than just MGE XE though. I see some texture replaces and some more common mods (Better Bodies).

My PC isn't good enough to run MGE XE though. :( Heck it can't even run TW:M2 properly and Mount and Blade is all funny colours. :P I've got Oblivion but... again... IT DOESN'T WORK!!! >:(

EDIT: One more: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-72DSkh5i8pQ/TmE1HJCSyyI/AAAAAAAAAF4/vaFGwpjOofI/s1600/Scampshot21.jpg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:08:10 AM by The Khan »

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »
I didn't look at all of them but there sure are some pretty pictures there Khan. :)

As far as the new voices go, that's all part of the fun! :P I get to have big minotaurs with Irish accents this way! :D
(\__/)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
Well good luck on your mod. May the force be with you.