Author Topic: The Sub-Factions Project  (Read 18594 times)

Cincinnatus

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Sub-Factions Project
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
Careful about the Veneti, it was the same name of a Major Gallic Tribe in Gaul (France).  It may do to do with out or just leave it as Boii for that region.  You can make up your own units or use other mods for inspirations. 

Boii no doubt had some good spearmen, though not as good as the Germanic people who arguably had the best.  In fact, Germany most likely translates from Old German for "Land of the Spear".  Boii probably had light cavalry and perhaps even chariots.  They could also have had one handed axmen with shields and good light skirmisher small spear throwers ( a very widely common style of fighting among the celtic people and thrace and germany for that matter).

Etrurians very likely had chariots so even if the Boii did not at first, they may well have copied and improved on the Etrurians.  Etruscans are often also said to have had archers, slingers, some small units of heavy horse and or bodyguards, axmen, hoplites.  Axman may have just had armor with no shields and have been 2 handed even.  A style likely copied from the old Minoans or Carians (who may well have in fact been Minoan settlers themselves).

If you plan to incorporate all subfactions that is a tall order.  Technically btw, the etrurians were roughly divided into 3 major factions.  Etruscans was known as Tyrrhēni to the latins (including Rome), and Tyrrhēnioi to the Greeks.  These names are still reflected today in some place names.

A Etrurian (in their own language it was Rasenna Dodecapoli (etrurian league fo 12 city states), or the name Etrurians called themselves) League comprised most of the better known major cities such as Veia, Celvsin, Aritim (Arrētium in latin), Perusna, Velch and others. 

Another League was the Campanian League.  This was arguably Etrurians becoming independent of the north or a mix of other peoples certifying their new freedom as the north lost influence. 

The third league was supposedly based in northern Italy, and may have been lead by either Arimna (Ariminum in latin) or Felsna.  It may have been simply called the Northern League.  It was north of the Dodecapoli.

You may also include perhaps Aequi, old enemies of Rome.  Perhaps they were even rival latins.  Though they may have not have been much if still around by this time. they were certain at one time a formidable Roman enemy.

There was also the Sabines, but like the Aequi may not have been around or enough numbers to add.  This is if you are considering all peoples to potentially add though.

Brennus, the leader of a celt tribe called the Senones, sacked Rome a little over 100 years earlier.  So they, if they were still around may have been another formidable people in Italy.

Croton may have Croton named version of what Tarantine has.  Such as Tarentine Cavalry (that being the exception since it was a popular horse unit type all over the Greek world), and hoplies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:12:30 PM by Cincinnatus »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, I honestly wish that I could add all of these units in, but there are limits. 500 slots for edu and 250 for DMB. I know ALX has more slots for the DMB but not many people have ALX. Plus ALX doesn't support some features from BI that we would need.

Overall, I am glad you are posting the information on the various troop types and other peoples. Please continue to do so in the future as I am going to go back to these posts when I start making units for the rebels and AOR.

I will see about the Veneti, I rather have the Italian Veneti than the Gallic Veneti

Aequi and Sabines along with the Volsci were of little importance at this time if I'm correct.

The Senones were around but I don't have a settlement for them to use. I might add a unit for them though. Same can be said for the Cenomani
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
I will now start on Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica:

Mamertines of Messana
Sub-faction to: Rebels
Settlement(s): Messana
Unique Troops: Mamertine Infantry (?)
Significance: The Mamertines essentially were a group of Mercenaries who had no job after the Samnite War. They ended up seizing Messana for themselves and terrorized the countryside. After losing a few battles against Syracuse they saw that they were about to be conquered when they sent appeals for help to both Rome and Carthage, and the rest is history.
Alternate Campaign: No

Agrigentum
Settlement(s): Agrigentum
Unique Troops: None
Significance: Was an independant city of Importance around this time, experienced many hardships during the first Punic War.

Sicilians
Sub-Faction to: Rebels
Settlement(s): Lilybaeum
Unique Troops: Sicilian pearmen (?)
Significance: The Sicilians will be the representative for the Sicels, Sicani, and Elymians. The three major tribes that inhabited Sicily. They could likely have armies pop up frequently.

Nuragici
Settlement(s): Caralis, Aleria
Unique Troops: Nuragic Warriors (?), Nuragic Archers (?)
Significance: The Nuragic Civilization is mysterious and I believe associated with the Sea Peoples from the Bronze Age. The Nuragic population was under Carthaginian control when it revolted in the Mercenary War of 238 BC. Also the Nuragici fought a Roman Army during the Second Punic War, and lost.

Now for the playable faction of Sicily, Syracuse.

Syracuse
Sub-faction to: Rebels, Greeks
Settlement(s): Syracuse
Unique Troops: Syracusan Hoplites (?) Syracusan Cavalry (?)
Significance: Was a powerful Kingdom at the time and played a crucial role in the starting of the First Punic War. Ended up becoming an Ally of Rome until 212 BC I believe.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Greek Faction
Goals: Take and hold all Sicilian Provinces, defeat Carthage

Another chapter in this project has been completed, as with Italy please give your thoughts. When I get the chance I will move on to North Africa
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »
On to North Africa!

Libyans
Settlement(s): Carthage, Thapsus, Leptis, Hadrumentum, Utica, Hippo
Unique Troops: Libyan Spearmen, Libyan Infantry (?) Libyan Skirmishers (?) Libyan Cavalry (?)
Significance: The Libyans made up all of the indigenous population that Carthage had to choose from in North Africa. They might be the biggest sub-faction in the game!

Massylii
Sub-faction to: Rebels, Numidians
Settlement(s): Capsa
Unique Troops: Massylii Skirmishers, Massylii Cavalry
Significance: The eastern most Numidians who had closer ties to Carthage and were rivals to the Masaesyli.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Numidian faction
Goals: Unite Numidian Tribes, conquer North Africa, defeat Carthage

Masaesyli
Sub-faction to: Rebels, Numidians
Settlement(s): Cirta
Unique Troops: Masaesyli Spearmen, Masaesyli Lancers
Significance: The western most Numidians who had closer ties to Rome and were rivals to the Massylii.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Numidian faction
Goals: Unite Numidian Tribes, conquer North Africa, defeat Carthage

Gaetuli
Settlement(s): Dimmidi, Nepte
Unique Troops: Gaetulian Infantry (?)
Significance: I people of similar stock as the Numidians but had darker skin color. They were conquered by Rome in 6AD

Mauri
Settlement(s): Volubilis, Iol
Unique Troops: Mauri Archers (?) Mauri Spearmen (?) Mauri Cavalry (?)
Significance: The tribe that inhabited what would become The Kingdom of Mauretania, eventually became the Moors.

Garamantes
Settlement(s): Garama
Unique Troops: Garamantine Infantry (?)
Significance: Located south of Leptis this civilization lasted to about 600 AD. They were herders and irrigationists who raided Roman outposts frequently. Apparently they had good trade relations with Carthage.

Again if anyone has advice about North Africa, please comment. Iberia will be next!

comrade_general

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »
It's all looking good so far. :) How powerful will these unique units be?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
I do not know exactly. I would like them to be unique and not similar to a faction's main roster. What do you think?

comrade_general

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
It all depends on how you use them methinks. How will they be used? AoR? Mercs?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
Mainly AOR with the most well-known being Mercs

comrade_general

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »
Regular AoR guys should get average stats based on their respective location in a recruitment tree. For instance I would give those Massylii Skirmishers similar stats to other low-grade skirmishers.
Mercs would naturally have higher stats overall.
Just my two cents.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
Sounds logical to me. What about basing every units' stats off the EDU-matic tool?

comrade_general

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
Amazingly enough I've never heard of this tool. It looks quite complicated.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=311674

Tell me what you think? Should I use it?

comrade_general

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
Sure, it's worth a try.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
It's a little confusing to be honest  :-\

comrade_general

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
Can it be used to re-balance the edu after it has been made? That would be easier; just add the units in with similar stats as vanilla and then use the tool.