Author Topic: Welcome to the Exilian Academy - Info and FAQs  (Read 8117 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Welcome to the Exilian Academy - Info and FAQs
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
Welcome!

This is the Exilian Academy. Here, people volunteer to teach & tutor small courses on subjects they have particular interest and expertise in, and then people sign up for and do said courses. Courses can be on pretty much anything, from writing to programming to philosophy, and we're always interested in new ideas people have! Please do ask any more questions you have in this thread.

Frequently Asked Questions

So what's so special about this?
The key thing the Academy offers is that it isn't just a bunch of things to read; the course creators will actively tutor their students to produce a final piece of work or be assessed over a few days or weeks. All the courses will be structured differently, so feel free to look around and dip in! The courses are grouped by subject, so if you want to work for one of the larger achievement awards (see below) you'll need to go for courses in a particular group.

How are the courses delivered?
There will be plenty of discussion areas in this part of the forum; these will be used for tutors to post articles which their students can then comment on & discuss. Tutors will also be accessible by personal messaging on the forum, and may also give out instant messaging details for skype or MSN if they want students to be able to contact them that way. There will also be a shared Academy YouTube channel for the tutors to deliver lectures.

What course groupings are offered?
The current list of groupings, with codes, is found in the "Course List and Certification Categories" thread.

What do I get for doing these courses?
Courses will be worth Academy Credits; one credit approximates to a short day's work (though not usually done all at once), so most individual courses will be in the 1-5 region. For each course you do, we'll register you've completed it, and how well you did - the course tutor decides how many of the course's possible credits you get, so a 5 credit course gives a maximum of 5 credits. Credits may be given to the nearest decimal place; the expectation is that a good mark would be around 80%, an exceptional one 90%, with most people averaging around 70%. We can then email out certificates of achievement to you in PDF format.

Additionally, it's possible to work up to something bigger; those who do a lot of courses in a particular subject group can work for the following;
50 credits (Exilian Academic Certificate)
150 (Exilian Advanced Academic Certificate)
450 (Exilian Honours Degree)

These accolades are designed to be difficult to achieve, but are a big possible target for particularly dedicated academy students to work for. There will be certificates available for them, as well as them showing up on the forum award system beneath your profile picture.

Can I create a course?
Yes! Information is available here: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2092.0

What do I get for running a course?
There are no physical rewards or payments available to lecturers, but we of course do our best to show our appreciation. For any course lecturer who is also a site citizen, running courses will lead to rewards via our "triumph points" system, which is Exilian's system of showing the work of active and useful members. Lecturers who are not site citizens will find it easier to become citizens (a rank which gives full rights to vote on many vital site issues as well as other perks) as a result of the important work they are putting into the academy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:15:36 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to the Exilian Academy - Info and FAQs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
So can anyone create a course? (To add to the FAQ?(Just so people know (I already know that only Citizens can(I'm quite sure anyway)))

EDIT: Will those Certificates show up in your Awards? Can you get Certificates for certain things eg. Exilian Academic Certificate of Programming Python, Exilian Advanced Academic Certificate of TW Modding etc. Also if you get more than one would they replace the former so if you have an Exilian Academic Certificate and you upgrade will the next one cancel out the previous one? Will members get triumph points for every student they have? (Sorry for all of the questions but it's your fault for blocking me out of the Barracks so I don't know how this specifically runs)

EDIT x2: I'll try to recruit some people from some other forums I know. :)

EDIT x3: (Just to keep from triple posting. :P ) In my opinion there should be a showcase system for people who want to start a course, a picture/screenshot of their work, proof of a certificate(IRL) etc. That way we won't have random people coming in and just post random courses about random stuff.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:32:17 AM by The Khan »
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
Do I get the password for The Staff Room even though I haven't got a Courses yet? I'm still a lecturer.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
Good call, PMed you.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
So what's going on here? :P

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
Not an awful lot? :P

We should think of things to run and run them though :) It's a good idea, since we're clearly all so horrifically talented at all sorts of different things!

Seriously though we should do stuff, we've got stuff to teach people :)
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »
I wish I had time :/

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
I'll be happy to run something once my resits are out of the way :) .

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm happy to run something if I can think of anything I know about.. which may be a flaw..

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
Cloak making? The Forging of the Rings? All of the maths? Geology? Ceilidh dancing/calling?

All the stuff? :)

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Some of those might work.. Ceilidh dancing is the best idea but is kinda hard to teach without the dancing bit :P

Anyone want to learn about any of the above crap? :P

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »
All the things!  ;D

We can also give you like loads of professorships if you want, just to cement our reputation as the best sinecure generator on the internet...  :P

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Excellent. Totally. We shall do this! Hopefully :)

Anyone else apart from Jubal? Because to be honest Jubal, if it's just you it's easier to teach you it face to face :P

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »
I can teach people how to play video games and count cards. Not very useful skills I know, but all in all I'm not a particularly useful person. I would like to learn a language(german, latin or swedish ideally) if that's at all possible.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »
Less talkie more course startie. :)