Information, Introductions, Etc.

Started by Lizard, August 12, 2012, 01:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizard

Hello, kids.

You'll get information on assessment, etc, in due time. For now, if you don't have an IDE or compiler compatible with Java, you can keep yourselves busy with downloading Netbeans and all the Java gear you'll need (the instructions are pretty self-explanatory so I'm sure you'll all be fine).

Other than that, you probably all know each other but I don't know you. I'm new to these parts, and mostly here for reasons relating to this course. So who are we all? I'm Liz, a third-year Computer Science student who enjoys building small robots and writing trashy novels. Java's my first language, so I'm pretty confident in using it to teach the object-orientated philosophy.

So for now, introductions. Detailed course information and assessment information coming up!
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

comrade_general

Hello, Liz. I am comrade_general, a working stiff who enjoys science fiction and complex thinking processes. Several years ago I studied a bit of object-oriented programming using C#, so you will be starting from scratch with me. ;)

Lizard

Hello, CG (I'm shortening you, I hope that's not too informal). I also like my sci-fi so if I ever run out of work to give you we'll have something to talk about.

As for your experience with C#, please excuse any early lessons which are sort-of patronising - which goes for everyone else, as well. When I say this course starts from the beginning, believe me it does!

comrade_general

Not a problem (on all counts)!

I definitely need some refreshing on the whole thing. ;)

Othko97

Hello Lizard, I'm Othko, a teenager from the UK. At Christmas this year SotK (my brother) taught me the basics of Python, although now I am reasonably proficient with it. I have Eclipse and a Java compiler, as I tried to look at Java before, but gave up after seeing the ridiculous input code, especially in a console application.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Cuddly Khan

I have minor experience with Python. I, also, am a teenager but I'm from Australia.
Quote from: comrade_general on January 25, 2014, 01:22:10 AMMost effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Lizard

For Eclipse: Ignore most of the first half of the first note-sheet (which I'm working on as we speak), as it's just about Netbeans. However, follow the equivalent instructions in Eclipse and you'll arrive at the same place.

With that admin out the way, hello everyone. Seems like the Python programmers are in the house. I'm not surprised - there's a beauty in Python's simplicity. You'll be getting none of that with Java. I'll try and make it simple!

And on that note, I'd just like to introduce something I think is very important - tutor feedback. Just as I can tell you where you're going wrong with your code, you're all free to tell me where I'm going wrong with my teaching/tutoring/explanations. And I'd much appreciate constructive criticism, as I'm pretty new to this.

So nice to meet you all! First notes will be up in a few minutes.