Author Topic: Class 1: Source Analysis  (Read 4402 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Class 1: Source Analysis
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »
Welcome to my first actual class! I've prepared an article and a task to do for you, if you can be bothered. Do discuss and get talking, learning by asking questions is probably far better than any of the crap I've written for you guys.

CLASS ARTICLE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CLASS TASK
Here are five sources vaguely relating to the state of Germany between 1510 and 1530.

For each one, write a short summary of it, covering as much information as you can about what you think on;
- When the source may have been written
- What sort of person may have written it
- What their views or biases on any particular subjects may have been
- What trustworthy information or inference you think the source really tells you; how does it inform your view of Germany in this period?

Please don't google the text, as it will make the exercise pointless and you will learn nothing whatsoever. PM completed notes to me and I'll give you feedback on them (ask if you need help with the PM system, basically you just go on my profile and hit "send personal message").

Think laterally, and good luck!

SOURCE ONE
"The thought of the Turkish danger was much before men's minds. Some weight attached to the advice of the Pope. German national feeling was hardly self conscious and was only active in restricted circles, but it was not a negligible force and it told in favour of Charles. He was indeed King of Spain, but he was born within the limits of the Empire, and his family was one of the foremost in Germany. It is interesting to note, too, that the centralization and efficiency of the French monarchy was in itself a deterrent"

SOURCE TWO
"…this money [tithes/ religious taxes] might be put to better uses, as to put on foot great armaments and extend the boundaries of the empire; also to conquer the Turks, if this seems desirable; that many who, because of poverty, steal and rob may honestly earn their living once more, and that those who otherwise must starve may receive contributions from the state to mitigate their need"

SOURCE THREE
"Luther’s theses differed from the ordinary propositions for debate because they were forged in anger… this polemic would evoke a deep Ja Wohl among the Germans"

SOURCE FOUR
"Seventh, the word of god should always be preached faithfully and truly in the territory, and all sophistry and legalism eliminated and the books which contain them burned.
Eighth, the courts throughout the territory should be arranged in the most convienient way and the clergy excluded from them, so they are administered with the least cost.
Ninth, the whole population of each court district should elect a judge each year and ten jurors, to serve for the whole year."

SOURCE FIVE
"First. I will not oppose a ruler who, even though he does not tolerate the Gospel, will smite and punish these peasants without offering to submit the case to judgment. For he is within his rights, since the peasants are not contending any longer for the Gospel, but have become faithless, perjured, disobedient, rebellious murderers, robbers, and blasphemers, whom even heathen rulers have the right and power to punish; nay, it is their duty to punish them, for it is just for this purpose that they bear the sword, and are “the ministers of God upon him that doeth evil.""

Any questions about the main article, please post below! I'll try and recommend some reading soon.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Class 1: Source Analysis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:46 AM »
Teacher, how long do we have to do this first assignment?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
As long as you like; I just provide the material, you do it in your own time.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
Can we do any research at all? Or is this just to present our own generalized speculation?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
You can certainly do general background research onto the time period, but avoid putting large chunks of sources into Google as that would give the game away somewhat.

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
Still waiting on my grade. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »
I probably want to rewrite this course entirely now, but I'll get yours marked before I do...

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
;D

Entirely? What's wrong with it?

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
He's just done a year of History at Cambridge :P Don't ask! :D
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »
ALL OF THE THINGS

I mean seriously this isn't great.  :P Mainly I think I want more of a focus on getting information into people, because increasingly I feel that stuff like source analysis just doesn't work that well unless you have a bit more context/breadth of understanding.

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »

Not sure how I haven't seen this bit of the forum before since I originally signed up to History! (oops)

ALL OF THE THINGS

I mean seriously this isn't great.  :P Mainly I think I want more of a focus on getting information into people, because increasingly I feel that stuff like source analysis just doesn't work that well unless you have a bit more context/breadth of understanding.

I while ago I read ''The English Civili War At First Hand'' by Tristram Hunt (think he is actually a labour MP), not read any book like it. The format for the book is a few paragraphs of explanation and then a quote from a relevant letter or something. The accounts of the time and letters would have made a bit of sense on their own, but the explanation added a huge amount of depth (and I guess vice versa since most books are written without sources included).