Author Topic: If you could act in any historical event...  (Read 8159 times)

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is easier to criticize than to correct our past
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: If you could act in any historical event...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
Cannae with Hannibal Barca, just to witness probably the most impressive set-piece mauling in the history of warfare.

>:(
What's so wrong with Hannibal?

Nothing really,but I am a bit of a Romanophile.

I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about historical events and life in the middle ages.
I guess Stronghold is to blame for that...  ;D

Be an observer in the enola gay.... Just to see it, I mean it was horrific and all but its still an important point in (fairly) recent history

One of the 300 spartans :D

Hmm... ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_the_militaries_of_ancient_Greece

Manzikert probably a good addition to my list, and Gniezno in 1000 AD because the Poles and Germans have been arguing about what happened there ever since and I'd like to know who was right.
On which side would you be,and why?
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
Realised I never answered the Manzikert question.

I'd prefer to just observe, or possibly stay with the Norman contingent who failed to join the battle for safety's sake. If I was going to be partisan, though, then Byzantines over Turks, they were defending their lands after all.

At Gniezno the question's obviously less relevant, I'd just like to see what went on.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Fish Priest

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
Hmmmm, Constantinople would be a good one...

Now a follow-on question... Historical events that you would be present for that you would try to change the outcome.

And how would you do it?

For presence- perhaps one of the City Dionysias that we don't have the plays from. Or maybe the Battle of Trafalgar- probably from one of the British frigates that stayed close to the fighting but didn't take part in it.

For changing the outcome, I'd quite like to try saving Rigas Feraios and see if he could succeed in bringing the French Revolution to the Balkans. Not sure how I'd do it, though- warn him he was going to be betrayed?

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
I would be happy to walk from somewhere in Syria to Ecbatana in the reign of Cyrus King of Kings, stopping in Babylon to ask some rude questions in Aramaic and again in Late Babylonian.  We know so little about what happened during his lifetime ...

The same for walking from Bavaria to Padua over the Reschenpass in the age of Francesco di Marco Datini.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
I can now amend my previous answers to this with the addition of wanting to be present at just about any sitting of Tamar's court, especially if I got to conduct interviews (I'd need about a six month time travel trip of which five would be spent giving myself a middle Georgian crash course, but totally worth it). :)

Historical journeys are an interesting one - I'd love to do the 12th or 13th century silk roads (I'd also like to do the modern silk road journey, but the paperwork to get all the visas would be a nightmare and it'd cost far too much).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...