Author Topic: make Bretonnia, wood elves, dwarves and Empire allies?  (Read 3609 times)

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
make Bretonnia, wood elves, dwarves and Empire allies?
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Would it be possible to make Bretonnia, the wood elves, the dwarves and the empire stay allies no matter what? I know there have been border wars between the Empire and Bretonnia in Warhammer world, but usually they are allies - and while i love the mod (and i realise it's only half done so far and it's great already) the atmosphere would be better of e.g when you play wood elves you're not fighting Bretonnians and the Empire , and when you play Dwarves you're not fighting the Empire all the time.

No problem with Middenheim and Altdorf fighting - i know they're meant to since Altdorf conquered Middenheim by force.

comrade_general

Re: make Bretonnia, wood elves, dwarves and Empire allies?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:33:17 AM »
Sure; it could be done with a simple script.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »
I'm reluctant to do it in exactly that way, at least without a map change or so - Wood Elves are then left with nobody to fight!

A lot of Bretonnians ARE pretty scared of the forests and a lot of Wood Elves will happily shoot any outsider who comes in - the Dwarfs of Karak Norn have had caravans ripped to shreds a fair few times in the rulebook fluff. It might be worth looking at re-routing the Elf to Empire pass down towards Skavenblight on the map, which would give the WEs a good scrap against the rats early on if the player wanted to go all good-guy style.

Dwarfs/Empire and Brets/Empire I agree more on, there's a good case to be made that they're generally each other's trusted allies. I'd like to see if it can be done within the diplomacy system by setting them to just generally like one another, and if it can't then I agree resorting to a script would be a good call.

Part of the issue of course is that a lot of Warhammer fluff is difficult to simulate - the Skaven under-Empire and random undead/chaos hordes appearing count for a lot of the fighting that goes on, but it's relatively hard to get that into the RTW engine (though I'd like to do more with rebels ideally for the next release, though all this of course depends on that horrible commodity known as time).

Do either of you think that a pass from the WE lands down to Skavenblight sounds a good idea?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
pass to skavenblight sounds like a great idea.

You could also put some orc / goblin or beastmen/chaos settlements on the borders between Bretonnia/Empire/wood elves

The hordes appearing thing i think is pretty well represented by the 0 turn recruitment for the main 3 skaven units and might work the same for chaos - though the AI doesn't seem to use it to it's full potential.

You'd likely need a Barbarian Invasion or MTW II mod to put in AI hordes properly - and while that'd be ok i'd rather see this mod finished before any new ones based on other Total War games started (if any)

BI would also allow for night fighting (though i don't know if it allows you to make some races get no penalties in it) but BI's AI never seemed that good to me either at strategic level or in battles

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
The AI can't use 0 turn recruitment properly, it always seems to take 1 turn per unit minimum regardless.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...