Author Topic: Website discussion  (Read 59010 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Website discussion
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
Advance warning that we might have downtime again this week for the same reason as last time: we really need to get this SSL tech problem onto a longer term solution :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2023, 08:51:10 AM »
My site auto renews fine using lets encrypt.

Are there issues getting it to work for exilian?
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2023, 10:23:13 AM »
Yeah, the issue is that Tsohost does not give access to Let's Encrypt on whatever plan it is we have.

I've purchased a certificate that will do 1yr for the time being, which cost about ten euros. But we should move host. If we're willing to commit to a new host for a while (like, pay three or four years up front as a bundle deal, which we do have the budget for), some of the introductory offers could save us a considerable amount of cash too.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »
Hm ok, so it's a case of finding some new hosting.

Wonder how much it would cost to host on AWS along with my site! Maybe I should come up with a quote  ;D
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2023, 11:59:42 PM »
We should get back to this soon - I think Hostinger was the best option I found so far but we should do more checks.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2023, 08:54:36 PM »
Are the omnishambles at reddit, YouTube, or twitter affecting Exilian's outreach at all?

Since Piped and Nitter don't work right now I am trying life without YouTube or Twitter.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2023, 11:19:12 PM »
Are the omnishambles at reddit, YouTube, or twitter affecting Exilian's outreach at all?

Since Piped and Nitter don't work right now I am trying life without YouTube or Twitter.

What's going on at YouTube? I haven't noticed issues there...

But generally no, our reach on old social media is near zero anyway, so if anything we get a very small benefit from the chaos by more people moving e.g. to Mastodon. I wish we could scoop up more of the better kind of redditors but I just don't know how to reach those people.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2023, 03:03:26 AM »
YouTube has blocked Piped, which is my preferred alternative front end, and is trying to block adblockers.  I have heard that they blocked youtube-dl (the command-line tool to, well, download youtube videos) but I have not tried it in the past few days.

I know one of the mods at r/askHistorians.  This person was also active on twitter so maybe they are seeing why I kept at arms length from big corporate social media services.  I expect that they are looking for another place to host their community but that would have to be a dedicated site or service.