Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 22598 times)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:34 PM »
I still haven't seen part 1. :/

I kind of want to see them all at once. And the other problem is that I think that it won't fulfill my expectations.
Everything looks so much sillier than LotR.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2013, 11:40:10 PM »
There is silliness, but it's the bits of characterisation that don't fit that's what actually jars. For me at least.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2013, 01:27:57 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
And yet after all this, I'm still looking forward to part three.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2013, 01:24:03 AM »
Let's just get it over with.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
NECRRRROOOOOO... Did not like either of them. Legolas had half the screen time, scenes were too reliant on CGI, Legolas had half the screen time, the dwarves are all idiots, Legolas got half the screen time, Elf/Dwarf romance subplot, LEGOLAS HAD HALF THE SCREEN TIME! Riding a wheelbarrow down a stream of molten gold, dwarves are experts in the martial art of barrel fighting, cliche 'oh no dwarf is dying, oh no he isn't' which we knew, because we read the book. The orc bad guy is the wrong one.

The one saving grace was James Nesbitt. Would see again just because he's awesome.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
I tend to agree.

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
I thought Part 1 was alright (Misty Mountains was perfect - if a little short :P )

Part 2 though... I just will never understand the addition of Tauriel :/ If the idea was to get more of a female audience for the films, I don't know, I find that a bit insulting (as if I'm not going to watch a film because there's no element of romance in it). And the actual love triangle? Really?

Also, I feel like there's things that won't add up because Legolas in in the Hobbit films now. I saw a post somewhere ages ago, about Gandalf in Fellowship, and how Legolas seems overwhelmed in that scene because, having been in Mirkwood most of the time, he's not really experienced that kind of grief, and seeing everyone else mourning is almost something new to him. Yeah, it's probably just fan speculation, but it does seem it's very much acted that way, and having Legolas in the Hobbit movies means that kind of becomes meaningless.

I still am going to go and see Part 3 though :P 

comrade_general

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »
That is in the books iirc, Legolas feeling grief for the first time.

Yeah I'll still watch 3 and then all of them once they come out as special edition blu-ray.

3 should be good though, less slaughtered narrative, more slaughtered orcs.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.