Author Topic: Games you're looking forward to  (Read 2006 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Games you're looking forward to
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »
Yo biatches. Thread title pretty much says it all.
I'm looking forward to The Witcher 3 and from the same studio (CD red) Cyberpunk 2077. The Witcher series are the best RPGs I've played, based on Andrej Sapowski's (alright I know I spelt it wrong but meh) "witcher" novels, which are set in a medieval fantasy where the fantasy elements are based on slavic folklore and common medieval superstition. You play as Geralt, a Witcher which is a genetically enhanced spell casting monster slaying thing. There's a heavy emphasis on story telling and dialouge in the first game, although the story is fairly linear (you can obviously make some choices but they're presonal choices rather than having any massive impact on the greater world) and I don't know about the 2nd one because my laptop couldn't really handle it. Twitcher 3 is going to be an open world with the same strong emphasis on story telling.
Guess what the theme for Cyberpunk 2077 is. It's due to be released in 2015 I think.

The Banner Saga http://stoicstudio.com/forum/the-banner-saga-factions.php
Will be a largely text/menu based RPG with a stategy sort of chess style combat system (looks a lot better than it sounds, there's a multiplayer version called factions already released which was developed so the combat system could be perfected before SP release) and it's going to be based on norse mythology (although apparently staying away from elves, dwarfs, goblins and presumably most of the other norse stuff Tolkien used and which has since been used in nearly much every fantasy RPG going.)
The idea so far is that some sort of near-apocalyptical event has come or is coming and your duty is to ensure the survival of your people by leading them in a caravan from somewhere to somewhere else. Yeah I'm not selling it well but I've already written a lot and I'm getting bored now. The art work looks brilliant.
Edit: Oh and it seems Factions is free so I'd suggest giving it a go.

Torment Tides of Numenera is kickstarter project that is pretty much the sequel to Planescape Torment, a cult classic RPG that I've heard described as the best RPG made to date (it was released in 99 I think or 98 or 97, late 90s anyway) but I haven't got round to playing it yet. Patrick Rothfuss is going to be writing some stuff for it which is pretty portugaling awesome. Here's a link to his blog which also has a link to the kickstarter page somewhere. http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/

Mount & Blade 2. Duh.

I think there were some others but I can't be arsed to think of them and then write stuff about them so that's all for now folks and folknuggets.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:47:24 PM by Pentagathus »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Games you're looking forward to
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
The Rothfuss thing sounds good. I have The Wise Man's Fear sitting here but haven't read the darn thing yet...

R2TW I guess is an obvious call, though given I haven't got any of the games since Barbarian Invasion I may well not end up getting it.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Games you're looking forward to
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
Aaaaaaaargh mine or anyone elses god! I've been playing Planescape Torment far too much recently because it is motherfudging amazing, if Torment Tides os Numenera turns out better then I will be one happy fella. If you haven't tried PST yet I would definitely recommend (if you have the time for it, seriously I've been playing the crap out of this.)