Author Topic: A Game of Colleges: TW - FAQs, requests, and discussion  (Read 21194 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Game of Colleges: TW - FAQs, requests, and discussion
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:11 AM »
A GAME OF COLLEGES: TOTAL WAR

About the project

This is a mini-project I'm knocking together to answer the question of what would happen if the different colleges that make up Cambridge University went to war.

For those who don't know, Cambridge colleges are separate institutions from the University. They are academic centres to which "fellows" of the university belong as well as being places of residence for students, and organise a lot of Cambridge's supervision-style teaching (which is a major reason for its high academic reputation). A lot of them are also very old (my own college was founded in 1347), and some are very wealthy - but all are enmeshed in a network of rivalries and snide remarks dating back across the generations. This mod will allow students and non-students alike to enter the fray between the different colleges in a way never seen before.

Please ask questions and they'll be added to the FAQs, request features here, and discuss updates!

FAQs:

Q: What do I need to play this?
A:
A "clean" unmodified copy of Rome: Total War patched to version 1.5. The mod is in a separate folder and just reads the files it needs from the original game, so you'll still be able to play normal RTW as well.

Q: Where can I download it?
A:
Currently it's still in development, so nowhere. You can, however, chat and urge us onwards to finish it on this forum, and even join the team by looking at the thread here: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2387.0

Q: How can I help?
A:
Excellent question! Take a look here, there's plenty to do: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2387.0

Q: Is my college in there?
A:
Check the "faction list" here: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2385.0. If it's not in a faction it's not there but may be included in the form of a special troop choice. Do join in and chat, the more interest we get in the non-central colleges the more likely we are to get round to including them!

Q: Will you eventually get round to including Homerton/Girton etc?
A:
We hope so, and the more interest we get the more likely it is. With a very small number of us working on this and only one person doing the majority of the coding and all of the graphics, progress will be slow on some fronts.

Q: Will there be bicycles?
A:
Unlikely, sorry - we don't have the software to make new 3d models which restricts the units we can use.

Q: Why is my college lumped with college X? We don't even like each other!
A:
Some of the college groups are based on old rivalries, others on new strategic necessities. Magdalene and John's, for example, both have a very strong interest in keeping control of Magdalene bridge and not being dominated by Trinity or the Hill - there's a strategic logic that outweighs the fact that deep down they don't really like one another!

Q: Why don't you use (another game) instead?
A:
Human resources. We know RTW well and can knock the mod together really pretty efficiently.

Q: Why don't you use Facebook not this stupid forum?
A:
Forums are better for finding information on and organising topics. Try it, you may even like it.

Q: Will this mod cost anything?
A:
No! We're not legally allowed to sell it to you even if we wanted to.

Q: Are you completely mad?
A:
Yes. Next question.

THE TEAM:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:06:41 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Game of Colleges: TW - FAQs and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:38 AM »
Perhaps use townies as mercenaries (if at all possible)? Also, you mention certain places being wonders, perhaps we could have a section to discuss the effects they'd give?

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
As suggested in the thread, ASNaCs as a special mercenary unit, maybe linked to holding a certain area? The other ASNaCs seemed keen to be some sort of Varangian Guard when I mentioned it to them...and it reflects the intense ASNaC loyalty to their course  8)

nickwizzo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
The Engineering Department should provide a construction bonus as well as bonuses to siege weapons.

Sainsbury's a farming production bonus?

King's Chapel a public happiness bonus?

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
'The Engineering Department should provide a construction bonus as well as bonuses to siege weapons.'

And perhaps New Museum could improve weapon quality owing to the material science department being there?

The UL should do something too, perhaps lower agent training costs or increase their chance of success (if that's possible)?

Could perhas make the chorpus clock do something a bit silly, put a chronophage on top of the banners perhaps, no particular reason.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
ASNACs will be a special late-game unit only trainable on the Sidgwick site.

I'll look at bonuses for individual colleges. Engineering is off the map I'm afraid, though there will certainly be many engineer units trainable by the colleges (I can give them plenty of types of artillery etc so they'll probably be resultingly over-represented as a subject).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
ASNACs will be a special late-game unit only trainable on the Sidgwick site.

I'll look at bonuses for individual colleges. Engineering is off the map I'm afraid, though there will certainly be many engineer units trainable by the colleges (I can give them plenty of types of artillery etc so they'll probably be resultingly over-represented as a subject).

Excellent! Churchill should have some bonus relating to the high concentration of Compscis; superior agents maybe? (Able to hack computers etc)

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Peasants can be tourists?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
Tourists as rebels/brigands I think, would fit well with them annoyingly sitting in the mountain passes/streets so it's damned difficult to get through.  :P

Good shout for Churchill.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
Tourists as rebels/brigands I think, would fit well with them annoyingly sitting in the mountain passes/streets so it's damned difficult to get through.  :P

That is an amazing idea, too bad you can't lead a small army of students to force the tourists out of the way in reality too...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
What you mean, in fact, is that there are adverse consequences for doing so in reality and so one shouldn't. Objectively speaking, I'm sure one can.  :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Game of Colleges: TW - FAQs, requests, news and discussion
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Merged FAQs and requests

Anyone got ideas for what should go in the FAQs?

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »
"Why is my college not included?" might be a common one. Are we talking gameplay or general background in the FAQs?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Both, if we get too many FAQs I'll just section it up.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
Download instructions might be useful, and making it clear which discs/versions/softwarey-stuff someone needs to run it.