Author Topic: Faction List  (Read 19329 times)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Faction List
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
If it's any use (though I doubt it) I have the EB files saved, so I can send them your way if needed

Whorefinger

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
Is 3ds Max available on the uni computers? Would it be at all possible to use a different, freer program like Blender? I actually would not mind learning how to do this 3D modelling stuff as I go along. Make bikes and such.

Previous experience: messed about on Blender for a couple hours this one time.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
I think 3ds is the only way; even then you need a special fan-made converter to get the .CAS model files into a form you can manipulate. If you can get a copy then I will happily throw as many tutorials and jobs at you as I can until the cows come home and beyond, but I'm pretty sure it definitely does require the full version of 3ds as a result of the unusual file type.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
So, I got bored with my essay and decided to procrastinate by writing some faction descriptions. Obviously these are unfinished since we've yet to decide on troops for each faction. What do people think of these? I improvised a bit on some of the 'history' around the alliances forming so if anyone thinks an alternative line is better feel free to edit them.

The backs alliance:
Consisting of St. Catherines, Clare, Kings, Trinity and Trinity Hall this alliance formed early on due to a desire to monopolise river trade from the South and thereby prosper. However, due to their centralised location they are faced by rivals on many sides: the republic of south cambridge to the west, the western treaty to the west and the river entente to the north.

The republic of south cambridge:
After seeing the rest of the colleges falling into alliances the colleges of: Pembroke, Chorpus Christi, Emmanuel and Peterhouse formed together into a democratic union of mutual protection. Being on the the of the city they hold a strong defensive position, but must keep a careful watch on their nearby rivals along the river and the Sainsbury's Pact to the north.

The Sainsbury's pact:
Upon seeing the sparks of conflict beginning in the rest of the city the colleges of: Christ's, Jesus and Sidney Sussex united together over a desire to hold the supplies of the only central supermarket. This however makes them a target for their many rivals along the river to the west and from the republic to the south.

The river entente:
Upon seeing the backs alliance beginning to form the colleges of St. John's, Gonville & Caius and Magdalene baned together to prevent a monopoly on river trade forming, by taking the northern river trade for themselves! Their centralised location leas to them sharing borders with many rival alliances: the backs alliance to the south, the Sainsbury's pact to the east and the hill college confederacy to the north-west.

The hill college confederacy:
As unrest stirs within the city the colleges of: St Edmund's, Lucy Cavendish, Fitzwilliam and Murray Edwards rally around holding the only piece of high ground in the city. This puts them in a strong defensive position overlooking their nearby rivals, the western treaty to the south and the river entente to the east.

The western treaty:
Following a disagreement over the holding of the hill, Churchill college defected and joined the alliance brewing on the Sidgwick site to the west. Also seeing the backs alliance as contary to the goals of the university Queen's college too defected to the Sidgwick colleges. This resulted in the formation of a western treaty of: Churchill, Newnham, Darwin, Queen's and Selwyn. Due to the nature of alliance their lines are spread thin, with the backs alliance to the west and the hill college confederacy to the north.

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
I've just noticed that Robinson has been completely forgotten - I assume they'd be in the Western Treaty

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
The left out colleges (and there are, sadly, several- Clare Hall, Downing, Girton, Homerton, Robinson, Wolfson, Hughes Hall) I'm hoping to represent with mercenaries or local troops only available near the map edges. I should probably have tried to make a bigger map, but I want to keep some fairly tight bounds on this project as it's so, so easy for mod projects to have ten million ideas and no work done.

Just makes life easier.

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
The left out colleges (and there are, sadly, several- Clare Hall, Downing, Girton, Homerton, Robinson, Wolfson, Hughes Hall) I'm hoping to represent with mercenaries or local troops only available near the map edges. I should probably have tried to make a bigger map, but I want to keep some fairly tight bounds on this project as it's so, so easy for mod projects to have ten million ideas and no work done.

Just makes life easier.

Ahh sorry, must've eye-skipped when I read that earlier.

Whorefinger

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
I think 3ds is the only way; even then you need a special fan-made converter to get the .CAS model files into a form you can manipulate. If you can get a copy then I will happily throw as many tutorials and jobs at you as I can until the cows come home and beyond, but I'm pretty sure it definitely does require the full version of 3ds as a result of the unusual file type.

Well, I'm sitting here at a library computer in John's and there's no 3ds Max here. There's Blender, but I just did a quick Google and there doesn't appear to be any way of converting 3ds Max files into a type usable in Blender. Oh well!

Shabang

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
What RTW factions will represent the different college alliances? I was thinking the further out ones could be faster ones due to their need for bikes.. Like the egyptians?

Or is it possible to mix and match units in a mod?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
It's very much a case of mix and match, it's a pretty flexible system in many ways.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
OK, just spent rather longer than was reasonable fleshing out all these descriptions. Feedback?

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »
Oh I love them! This is sounding amazing now, actually can't wait for it!

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
This is absolutely hilarious! :D Congratulations! I was imagining RTW-style introduction videos accompanying them though I'm sure that's not feasible.

I'm starting to wander around Fitz checking for weak points, is this going to my head?

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
I've constructed a strategy for defending Emma to the last, so I'd say no

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
It's surprising how many entrances most colleges have. You'd honestly think they weren't built for defence, almost.