Author Topic: Favourite Fantasy setting  (Read 1786 times)

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Fantasy setting
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:29:33 AM »
As the titles says, what is YOUR favourite fantasy setting, it can be a catch all (eg high antasy, cyberpunk etc) or specific (eg Final Fantasy VII, Bas Lag, Chinese mythology etc) and if you can't decide, just put as many as you want.
Useful Wiki article

For me it has to be either Bas Lag or the setting of Breath of Fire 4 (which I have just started playing again, got a PC copy w00t, depite it being 8 years old), which both fall into a kind of steampunky theme but in a non-Victorian  setting. I do like The Elder Scrolls, especially their breaking of the usual high/hero fantasy race list (humans of various shapes sizes and ear pointedness + orcs) by throwing in the beast races (though admittedly they have been very humanised in TES:4. What happened to their funny jointed legs?)

Well enough about mine, post up your preference people

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Fantasy setting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:02 AM »
WHFB is getting worse as time goes on, it''s moving into a not very good high fantasy from a dark fantasy setting.

LOTR is amazing simply because of the immense detail in it, and I don't see it as boring that it's similar to many other books on the ground that it did that first anyway. But overall the depth and detail of the races is staggering.

I like the settings I make up too.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...