Author Topic: My bf made a game '3' so wanna test it out?  (Read 2187 times)

ralola

• View Profile
    • Awards
My bf made a game '3' so wanna test it out?
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:39:49 AM »
Ok, so my boyfriend made a game within 24 hours, I made some monsters but he did everything else.
We're basically looking for people to beta test it and give us good critiques.
My only requests are that you give us a critique that's longer than"It's good" and if you use the game for anything(Let's Plays forums etc.) please credit him to surrealdeamer.deviantart.com.

Ok so here's the download link! http://www.mediafire.com/?a6m78ew933j30p2
Any questions please contact me at ryukiy@ymail.com.
Also! If your interested in working with us please send me a email as well!
We're currently looking for musicians to compose music for our games, animations and movies.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My bf made a game '3' so wanna test it out?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »
"It is good" would be longer than "It's good" in terms of lettercount. Although  in terms of character count its the same length. Would it be sufficient?
I may well download that if I can't sleep (or at a later date if I do sleep) but before I do, care to share what sort of game it is?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:55:30 AM by Pentagathus »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
Did three test runs, my thoughts and critiques:

- Overall it was good fun, very well done!
- Colour scheme worked well, though could be confusing at times (aka generally purple being good, but fire is purple and still hurts)
- Not all computers have the same internal mapping of function keys - make the help accessible by some way other than F1, as I still haven't managed to read it!
- More story introduction at the beginning would be good, I completed the game for the first time before realising the undead king was me not some boss I had to fight at the end.  :P
- A boss battle at the end would've been a good feature to have, though obviously would've taken more time
- Spawning close to the level ladder could make some levels really short, as did dying and then being resurrected on the same level - with a game that short restarting would have made more sense.
- It was unclear what the magic and willpower points did respectively, or whether different coloured orbs did different boosts. This may have been in the help, but if it was I couldn't find it.

I'd like to see a sequel certainly, the "benevolent undead king sorting his lost kingdom's s**t out" trope is an underused one and would make for a good base for other games.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
I enjoyed the game, was a nice distraction.
As Jubal said, a boss battle would have been nice.
I also found there was 8 left over health potions on the second level (didn't count the others). I think either the enemies need to be harder or fewer health potions around. Then again I could just be too good :P
One problem I found was that when I got to the second level for the first time, there was no exit, I was trapped in a 10x10 block size room with no passage leading out, although I could shoot through a wall I couldn't walk through it :P
The story was a little thin I thought, Ynn was an odd character if I got the story right, being a poor king leading Kazzark into ruin but giving candy to kids. The scrolls were a nice way of telling it though, I thought that worked well.
The enemies were good, nice mix of melee and ranged and the stats were implemented well, I didn't feel too powerful or too weak (just a lot of hp potions xD).
If you want to make a sequal I think you could test your abilities either with the same format as before or one more RTS style with the skeleton king creating an army to battle Ynns newfound army with his mighty fortress as a last fight.

Just my thoughts on it, only did one run through at the moment but I'm sure I'll come back to it.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
An RTS style sequel would be pretty awesome, mixing gameplay styles is something that doesn't get done enough.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...