Author Topic: Jungian based typology test  (Read 7797 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Jungian based typology test
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
I find these really cool, maybe someone else does; if you'd like to post your scores I would be interested in the results, though I suspect they'll be largely similar.

This type of test created primarily by Dr.s Carl Jung and Isabel Briggs Meyers has been used to categorize different ways of thinking depending on a mix of concious and subconcious priorities. There are 72 statements and you answer if in general you are more or less disposed towards them. From this there are ways to categorize how you are most likely to think about and approach different situations and therefore try to get a reading on what vocation among other things would be most suited to your personality style. Links below, second one is a rundown of what each type means.

Types are broken down into a four letter acronym each with 2 different possiblities per letter for a total of 16 types.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/you/personalitytype.aspx

I take one of these tests whenever I find them just out of curiosity. I score INTP usually, though on this one I scored INTJ. This site is annoying in it's use of capitalizing words out of place although they seem to know what they're talking about.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jungian based typology test
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
As a side note if Jubal takes this test I'd hazard a guess he gets ENTP or ENTJ.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »
I've taken a ton of these tests before; you're close, but I'm actually a pretty strongly expressed introvert (INTJ). Interesting that I would appear as an extrovert... I guess the situations where you guys don't see me are the ones that would change that perception, generic social situations I'm usually extremely quiet. Exilian has grown very organically around my own interests, and therefore I tend to be very "in my element" and actually have things to say here.

This variant of the test is interesting for the practice of giving percentage levels, which give a spurious an unwarranted level of claimed accuracy but do have the plus side of showing strong and weak expression of traits. I know some people who feel they fit the Myers-Briggs categories very well and others (perhaps whose expressions are more borderline) who feel that the categorisation system is poor. I tend to think of it as a fun test, but I'm sceptical of the idea it can be applied really broadly, not least because a lot of people have large shifts in their personality. Someone's basic "type" on these tests for example could easily change if they had certain symptoms of depression, and people change the habits being asked about and measured a lot over the course of their lives in many cases.

My scores from this variant of the test:
INTJ
Introvert(78%)  iNtuitive(88%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(67%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:55 AM »
I was conflicted on E or I. This time had reason to doubt myself it seems. I went for E as I assumed you had a disposition for taking the lead in projects and this forum(though actually that may not be the case, I didn't check), usually associated with E.

Yeah, as a person who frequently suffers strong bouts of depression or type 2 bi-polar and has an extremely low stress threshold, I doubt I really fit into any sort of category well as my maligned thoughts are somewhat deviated from their 'true' path. I scored 92% introversion iirc and this is the part that interests me most, introversion vs extraversion. As you can see I'm really a loner but usually fairly happy with it, although introversion is sometimes mislabeled as being about not liking people it's more to do with our percieved lack of importance for small talk.

Not sure I agree with the notion that people change their personality, I think some would like to(including myself) but short of alteration to temporal and/or frontal lobes I don't see how it's possible from an atanomical perspective. Though my research into this has been extremely limited.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:37:08 AM by luckynumber13 »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »
Typelogic I think gives interesting descriptions for how the elements fit together:
http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html

Taking the lead doesn't necessarily imply extroversion. I think it's more that introverts will lead in a different way; extroverts are naturally outgoing team people often, which can be great in a leadership role, but a more calculated and cerebral style of management that would be associated with introverts can also be effective. I think with me my projects are really born out of my being an ideas person; I'm not the leader so much because I like leading or I naturally gel a team together or because I bounce around a great deal, but because I can have the ideas and hold the big picture of a project in my head and know what everyone is doing and where everything is going and how the system will ultimately fit together. Different personalities can do most things (I'm extremely sceptical of trying to sort people to ideal jobs based on personality), but will bring different strengths and weaknesses and styles of working.

Personality is partly a result of nature, but a lot of it's nurture as well. Your frontal lobes may give you limits or inherent tendencies but the range of possibilities are also likely to be wide. Also, what I specifically meant in my last post was that an "introvert" may act extroverted simply through force of habit or the requirements of their lifestyle or job, or whatever; people's actions are dictated by their world as well as their instinct, and it's impossible to disentangle the two which very much limits the accuracy of the Myers-Briggs system.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:35 AM »
I did read those articles and I wasn't impressed to be honest, it was interesting but I didn't like the style.

I'd agree that finding a job based on it is too much and they only pick out 'nice' jobs for you anyway. Out of the millions of vocations they pick twenty or something in total. But from the test and the analysis you can see how different aspects can be suited to areas that you may not have thought about.

I find it difficult to relate to nurture as I can't remember my childhood and therefore can't link events to how that has affected me now. Experience, whilst being part of nurture I tend to regard as a seperate being altogether. I agree that one may act as another but I find that what people want from themselves is limited to what they imagine. Forced change in personality through circumstance is an interesting position, I can see how circumstance can affect morals and morality which in turn affects how we tackle problems and social engagements. Eg. gang culture leads to shift in what is acceptable as an outcome to a solution and as such the problem of having no money leads to theft.
I don't put much stock in these tests in case you think otherwise, they serve as a nice distraction and as an adequate way to categorize humanity.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
INTJ

Introvert(89%),  iNtuitive(50%),  Thinking(38%),  Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:10:24 PM by Othko97 »
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
I remember posting something similar a long time ago.
Scored ENTP back then.

Now:

ENTJ
Extravert(33%)  iNtuitive(50%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(22%)

You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (33%)
    You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
    You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:02:50 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:45:59 AM »
Thank you very much both.
Othko, you're pretty close to Jubal, this was the kind of result I was expecting to be honest as from what I gather this forum is mostly inhabited by like minded people interested in largely the same things. I'd be curious to read a study linking activities with these results I think. Might go looking for one.

Silver your scores are pretty close to centre though. If you read the article associated with the score did it suit you or not so much?

This also probably also indicates that you're adaptable to most anything, or that like Jubal said, these tests don't work so well for centre players :)

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Interesting.. I suspect I am pretty borderline with some things because my brain has two quite opposite modes of operation especially when it comes to thinking/feeling.

INTJ
Introvert(44%)  iNtuitive(62%)  Thinking(1%)  Judging(67%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
I would say the judging over perceiving result is also interesting. I'm not entirely sure what it means to be honest.  Though I would say I was sometimes quick to judge, I also think that I am perceptive (by which I mean reading other's emotions and knowing how people will react) in a way other people really aren't.
Wow. The Lizzie Bennet comparisons really just keep on coming xD
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
Silver your scores are pretty close to centre though. If you read the article associated with the score did it suit you or not so much?

This also probably also indicates that you're adaptable to most anything, or that like Jubal said, these tests don't work so well for centre players :)

ENTJ describes me well, but ENTP is the closest match (almost 100%).
However, I've never tried doing these during some of my darker phases. Perhaps I would get different results?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:55:07 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »
Not gonna take the test again cuz I always score either INTJ or ISTJ. Good equilibrium between intuition and sensitivity. :)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 03:43:33 AM »
@Scarlet: The judging over percieveing means that you like to take definitive action over taking things as they come. This guy explains it better though http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/judging-or-perceiving.asp. This is in my opinion the weakest area of the test as I don't belive the two categories are necessarily dichotomies. As for your two modes, I find that as well actually. Sometimes I'll be analytical with my emotions, sometimes more 'feeling', though as I mentioned I'm not exactly sound of mind :)

Interesting comment Silver, I believe (if by 'darker phases' you suffer from depressive episodes, or just regular bad day at work type thing probably); the scores might reflect a lower extraverted and a higher thinking percentage over feeling as 'switching off' is a common reaction. Called disconnection I think.

Thanks c_g remembering a score is just as good :D

Great feedback here by the way

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
I've done this type of thing before and I think I have gotten the same result, however I seem to have become less extreme on everything. The introvert score is definitely lower than last time, pretty sure I had 70%+ on it and I still feel as though most humans are annoying, so not sure what has happened there.

Introvert(11%)  iNtuitive(50%)  Thinking(38%)  Judging(22%)
You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (11%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:07:05 AM by Will »